charlie Jatinder

Which was the biggest movie event (worldwide) of the decade 2010s.

Which was the biggest movie event of the decade 2010s.  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Which was the biggest movie event of the decade 2010s.

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
    • Star Wars: The Force Awakens
    • Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame
    • Any Other

3 minutes ago, peludo said:

That is a very interesting data:

IW OS-China: $1.010b

TFA OS-China: $1.007b

Just a $3m difference. We could say:

DOM: TFA

China: IW

OS-China: Draw

Now we can discuss that IW was bigger in Asia and LA, where prices are lower and it is needed more admissions to make the same amount of money, but since I do not usually see in these forums too much concern about admissions but mainly about money grossed, I think it is fair to make this split.

But then TFA had better rates for Pound, which again, was bigger for TFA.

Also,

2 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Further, ticket prices are higher where TFA was stronger giving it an edge, otherwise in the number of tickets sold it will be much behind the two Avengers finale. e.g. India sold 18 million tickets for Infinity War but gross was just around $45 million, if tickets were as big as some European country, the gross would have been close to $175 million.

And, then again. I am not asking about the box office. That I can check myself, its what you feel, pre-release hype-wise, overall buzz, etc.

Cinematic Event? Has to be Infinity War & EndGame clubbed together. 

Star Wars is mostly USA with parts of Europe & Japan, rest are big all over. Also SWFA was mainly nostalgia combined with hype. The Avengers made a splash where it showed what shared cinematic universe could achieve, but Infinity War & EndGame are the pinnacle of it, i mean box office etc are dependent on many things but hype & buzz of both of these are just something else. 

The biggest thing in favour of Avengers IW & EG are that it's not just limited to one or two continents, it's a phenomenon shared by whole world almost. There might be a country or two where SWFA had bigger buzz or HPDH2 in some, but taking overall average worldwide hype, it's Infinity War & EndGame.

Infinity War had a tagline, "Entire Universe, once & for all". I would say in terms of cinematic event for IW & EG, "Entire world, twice & for both".

Edited by THUNDER BIRD
  • Like 1

Just now, THUNDER BIRD said:

Cinematic Event? Has to be Infinity War & EndGame clubbed together. 

Star Wars is mostly USA with parts of Europe & Japan, rest are big all over. Also SWFA was mainly nostalgia combined with hype. The Avengers made a splash where it showed what shared cinematic universe could achieve, but Infinity War & EndGame are the pinnacle of it, i mean box office etc are dependent on many things but hype & buzz of both of these are just something else. 

The biggest thing in favour of Avengers IW & EG are that it's not just limited to one or two continents, it's a phenomenon shared by whole world almost. There might be a country or two where SWFA had bigger buzz or HPDH2 in some, but taking overall average worldwide hype, it's Infinity War & EndGame.

Infinity War had a tag line, "Entire Universe, once & for all". I would say in terms of cinematic event for IW & EG, "Entire world, twice & for both".

20 hours ago, George Parr said:

That's a bit misleading though, isn't it?

China throws a big wrench into such a comparison.

TFA joined Titanic and Avatar as the only movies to top 1b internationally without China. Nothing came close to that mark until Infinity War hit 1b as well. The closest movie would be the last Harry Potter, which stands at right about 900m. Only Frozen at about 825m and The Avengers at about 810m even managed to cross 800m internationally minus China.

The emergence of China has a second massiv market next to the domestic one has made quite a few big worldwide hits look bigger internationally than they actually were in most of the world. At this stage it probably makes more sense to split the worldwide intake into three categories: domestic, China, and the remaining international markets. Else you run into a situation where you judge the entire international behaviour just on one market. E.g. The Fate of the Furious looks much bigger than The Last Jedi internationally (1.01b to 712m, it's not really close), suggesting that it was just so much bigger everywhere outside the domestic market. But if you remove China, TLJ was actually bigger in the rest of the world, 670m to 617m or so. China is just too massive a market to properly use the international intake as a whole in a comparison for the general behaviour in the international markets. A large intake in China can make a movie look much bigger internationally, just like a small one can make a movie look smaller compared to one that is pretty similar basically all over the world. That's only fair when judging the worldwide intake, but it can be misleading when one tries to judge the "average" international performance of a movie.

To put it another way, the business TFA did DOM was outsized relative to its OS gross. It did very well (although I think it was weighted more heavily by Europe and Australia), but the OS/DOM ratio was quite low.

And there's an open question about how much cultural impact can be attributed to it and how much can be attributed to Star Wars being baked into popular culture for four decades. TFA leaned heavily into nostalgia for the OT.

5 hours ago, Barnack said:

North america, I think Awaken had a good edge above everything else, in how long (before and after release), how big the conversation and the media size was, the amount of product placement got ridiculous.

Outside going by box office it is really hard to judge the event nature outside your market.

Movie annual box office share:

Year Title WW box office Movie BO Share
2009 Avatar 29.4 2.7772 9.45%
2010 Toy Story 3 31.6 1.067 3.38%
2011 Potter 32.6 1.3415 4.12%
2012 Avengers 34.7 1.5188 4.38%
2013 Frozen 35.9 1.2765 3.56%
2014 Transformer 36.4 1.1041 3.03%
2015 Force Awaken 38.4 2.0682 5.39%
2016 Civil War 38.8 1.1533 2.97%
2017 Last Jedi 40.6 1.3325 3.28%
2018 Infinity War 41.7 2.0484 4.91%

This is... not a great comparison. The late year releases (Avatar, Frozen, TFA, TLJ) all made significant business in the following year. Avatar was pretty easily the biggest movie WW (and DOM) in 2010, for instance.

And I think we were tracking TFA's WW gross compared to JW, and it ended up just short before the new year.

IAC, I'd rank the top 5 as

1. Avengers

2. Frozen

3. Furious 7

4. Jurassic World

5. Harry Potter 8

10 minutes ago, ElsaRoc said:

IAC, I'd rank the top 5 as

1. Avengers

2. Frozen

3. Furious 7

4. Jurassic World

5. Harry Potter 8

Why F7 over Jurassic World? F7 was only a huge phenomenon in China, whereas Jurassic World was a massive event domestically (broke OW record and ended up 3rd domestic all-time) and big overseas too (minus China, it outgrossed F7).

Edited by KP1025
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, peludo said:

That is a very interesting data:

IW OS-China: $1.010b

TFA OS-China: $1.007b

Just a $3m difference. We could say:

DOM: TFA

China: IW

OS-China: Draw

Now we can discuss that IW was bigger in Asia and LA, where prices are lower and it is needed more admissions to make the same amount of money, but since I do not usually see in these forums too much concern about admissions but mainly about money grossed, I think it is fair to make this split.

IW OS-C is only low 990s, BOM is off by about 20M on the China figure still with their retroactive ER nonsense.

26 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

But then TFA had better rates for Pound, which again, was bigger for TFA.

Sure, ER is another detail to have into account. But in the same way IW has had 2 years and half of inflation and expansion in certain markets relative to TFA... We can adjust this in so many ways that we would never finish.

4 minutes ago, peludo said:

Sure, ER is another detail to have into account. But in the same way IW has had 2 years and half of inflation and expansion in certain markets relative to TFA... We can adjust this in so many ways that we would never finish.

That's why I said, I am not talking about box office alone, but overall hype, reach, buzz, appeal, etc.

• Like 1

I think TFA for one reason in special; i think Avengers movies are more focused in a smaler segment of ages, rather than TFA who atracted to theatres kids, teenagers, adults and even seniors who went with their kids in 77 to see the first SW film.

and Marvel movies, i think are much more focused to people under 30 years old, and talking about an event is important to atract to many different kind of people, so with difference,  TFA.

• Disbelief 1

12 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

I think Charlie is saying not to weight DOM higher than any other territories for the purposes of this thread, not to weight then at 0.

11 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Naah, I am not excluding.

That answer was just for USA/Canada, excluding rest, that's why I said, not just one country but all.

But until the US/can is not part of the world, then you have to take what it did in those markets as being part of the world wide phenom.  And TFA did 1.1 billion outside of that market, just 200 mill less that Avengers, so it's not like it was ignored in the rest of the world.

It really depends on how much you weigh each region's influence towards determining how much of an event a film was Worldwide. I think Infinity War (and Endgame) has more hype spread out but TFA had much more concentrated hype in certain regions. It's a tad disappointing to me as a Star Wars fan that Episode IX has little to no chance of belonging on this list considering it's supposed to be the finale of the Skywalker Saga.

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr