chasmmi

The top 106 Movie Songs Countdown 2019 Edition, because 106 is best number

34 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

That was a travesty.  It wasn't even like it was a competitive field that year.  They only nominated TWO SONGS.  What did they just not want Alan Menken to have nine Oscars? Rude!

It was inexplicable.  Not only is the song itself fantastic it's narrative use is aces.

Watching this clip (for the millionth time) - Joe Johnson should direct a musical. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It was inexplicable.  Not only is the song itself fantastic it's narrative use is aces.

Watching this clip (for the millionth time) - Joe Johnson should direct a musical. 

He'd have his star if he did it, too

D2sPGovXQAE8CrV.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Marvel did get the X Men back!  Let’s get Disco Dazzler on screen!! Full Superhero Musical. 

And i think for all of 2012 that was the most played song on my iTunes. Lol

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

He'd have his star if he did it, too

D2sPGovXQAE8CrV.jpg

I laughed soooooooo hard at that part in the interview. Oh my god, Chris.

It is also hard to hear Disney didn’t get its mermaids in a row sooner. Him being too old for play Prince Eric when they finally do Little Mermaid breaks my soul. 

Edited by captainwondyful

47 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Marvel did get the X Men back!  Let’s get Disco Dazzler on screen!! Full Superhero Musical. 

And i think for all of 2012 that was the most played song on my iTunes. Lol

I laughed soooooooo hard at that part in the interview. Oh my god, Chris.

It is also hard to hear Disney didn’t get its mermaids in a row sooner. Him being too old for play Prince Eric when they finally do Little Mermaid breaks my soul. 

Pfft, does Prince Eric even sing or dance?  The best roles in Little Mermaid are Ursula, Sebastian and Ariel - he'd be out for all three anyway.  There's always the Chef though.  :lol:

Guys & Dolls was just greenlit and I know he sings and dances better than Brando.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

Pfft, does Prince Eric even sing or dance?

He does something far more important: look hot and hang out with his dog!! Evans woudn’t even have to act. 

On a more serious note: And in the stage version, he does both. Menken and Miranda also have been quoted saying they are working on new songs for the live action adaptation. Wouldn’t be shocked if Eric gets a song that way.

Guys & Dolls was just greenlit and I know he sings and dances better than Brando.  :ph34r:

Ooooh. Yeah. That’s the ticket.  The producers should be calling his agent.   The Hollywood Reporter tweeted out that interview so many times yesterday I’m shocked all of Hollywood hasn’t read it yet. 

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 2

69th place: 111 points (4 votes, 1 top 10)

Iris - City of Angels

Iris is one of those songs that probably would be a great fit over about 475 different film scenes. It is that quintessential ending climax kind of tune that is almost a cheat to use really. 

Whether that makes it a great movie song just in the context of its use in City of Angels, or a generally great movie song that should be used far more often in stuff, that is up for debate. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

68th place: 111 points (5 votes, 1 top 10)

Danger Zone - Top Gun

And we return to the wonderful wacky world of the 80s with one of those classic Montage-like scenes that makes you want to get up, scream yeah, and punch the person sitting next to you, then apologise, then realise the chorus is back in blow and you hit them again. 

Will it be the biggest Cruise song? Or even the biggest Top Gun song? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

67th place: 112 points (6 votes)

The Trolley Song - Meet Me in St Louis

And in the greatest shock of the countdown so far, a Judy Garland song has somehow made the list. Who would a thunk it eh? 

Meet Me in St Louis only received votes for two songs, but both of them received a good amount of support, so will we see if they make another appearance anytime soon or not.  

• Like 5

66th place: 113 points (4 votes, 1 top 10)

Audition - La La Land

Channeling her inner Anne Hathaway, Emma Stone lands La La Land its second placement on our countdown, tying it with the Lion King and coming up to just one song behind that all time beloved musical classic: Popstar. 

It is not suprising that this films' songs receive a lot of love, because a few of them are pretty quite good, and also the writing team were just one year away from penning the songs of their Magnum Opus that would be released the following year. 

There is a good chance that we see La La Land again. But if we do, it won't be for Someone in the crowd, that came 147th. 

• Like 4

65th place: 113 points (4 votes, 1 first place)

We Don't Need another Hero - Mad Max

I've actually never seen Beyond Thuderdome, so I live in a world where I don't really know what this is, but 4 people think it was pretty memorable, and one in particular considers it the greatest thing ever in musical cinema. So high praise from some there. 

I think this will be Turner's only foray onto the list. 

• Like 5

64th place: 113 points (4 votes, 1 first place)

Puttin' on the Ritz - Young Frankenstein

We haven't had a black and white song in quite a while, so this is a nice return to that. This is a fun performance that is the standout part of a very well regarded film. There was a period where this song was really at risk of missing the list completely and I am glad it managed to power through in the end. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, chasmmi said:

69th place: 111 points (4 votes, 1 top 10)

Iris - City of Angels

Iris is one of those songs that probably would be a great fit over about 475 different film scenes. It is that quintessential ending climax kind of tune that is almost a cheat to use really. 

Whether that makes it a great movie song just in the context of its use in City of Angels, or a generally great movie song that should be used far more often in stuff, that is up for debate. 

8 hours ago, chasmmi said:

68th place: 111 points (5 votes, 1 top 10)

Danger Zone - Top Gun

And we return to the wonderful wacky world of the 80s with one of those classic Montage-like scenes that makes you want to get up, scream yeah, and punch the person sitting next to you, then apologise, then realise the chorus is back in blow and you hit them again. 

Will it be the biggest Cruise song? Or even the biggest Top Gun song? 

tenor.gif?itemid=7549364

63rd place: 114 points (6 votes, 1 top 10)

Purple Rain - Purple Rain

It's been a while since our last title song made the list and here we have one that is a bonafide great song which... happens to have a film attached to it really. Wait that may not be strictly fair, but I would definitely say that the song outshines the film.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

62nd place: 117 points (3 votes, 1 First, 1 top 5)

If You Leave - Pretty in Pink

We're back in the decade of wonder and soundtrack madness as another first place film sees itself appear in our countdown. Before American Pie  changed what coming of Age Films would look like forevermore about 15 years later, this film starring a very young looking 'Not Matthew Broderick', was part of a slew of releases over the decade that not only shaped what a vast swathe of a generation wanted in their Coming of Age films, but also created an unwritten rule that you must do the fade into the end credits with a timeless Choon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

61st place: 118 points (4 votes, )

Rewrite the Stars - The Greatest Showman

And now we have a new film to join the illustrious double entry club. Rewrite the Stars is probably my 4th favourite song from Greatest Showman, but it is still a song that really cemented in my mind that Efron and Zendaya can both really become true stars. It's a great song with some amazing choreography (not on the same level as the insurpassable 'The Other Side', but still pretty stellar). 

Will any other films join the multiple entry club? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 2

60th place: 118 points (4 votes, 1 top 5)

Bittersweet Symphony - Cruel Intentions

The Best moment of the best film of 1999 (heck of the 20th century maybe), this was such a brilliant payoff scene and the music just feels like it was written expressly for this scene, (all the soundtrack of Cruel Intentions is pretty spot on actually). I am personally very happy to see this finish so high up. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

59th place: 118 points (8 votes)

Maniac - Flashdance

If this film could legally use less fabric, it probably would have. But regardless of all that, this is my personal standout song from Flashdance and even though there is more gravitas to the other scene involving another song, I still will always personally drift in the direction of the Maniac.

There was a period early on, where this song was threatening to bottom out and miss the list quite handily, but a lot of support in the later entries, enabled it to climb and eventually challenge the top 50, let alone 100. 

• Like 4

58th place: 119 points (6 votes, 1 top 5)

Wind Beneath My Wings - Beaches

A classic movie song and performance from the star you went to when Streisand was busy. I'm being irritatingly unfair in that summation and especially so considering this entry beat Babs' by quite a margin and I wouldn't have that any other way. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57th place: 123 points (5 votes)

Fight The Power - Do The Right Thing

Apparently these are the greatest opening credits in movie history. I don't know about that, but this was another entry that hovered on the brink for a while only to surge up the ranks near the end. 

• Like 7