chasmmi

The top 106 Movie Songs Countdown 2019 Edition, because 106 is best number

55th place: 125 points (8 votes)

Fame - Fame

And another title song pops up, as well as another classic singy songy number from a singy songy film. I assumed that all the votes were for the original film and not the remake, but I have been wrong before. 

Remember My name did also receive a solitary vote and thus ended up in 377th place. 

• Like 6

54th place: 126 points (6 votes)

Rainbow Connection - The Muppets 

The Muppets are here with their most beloved song from the 17 films that have been released to date. Even though I personally am a much bigger fan of Muppet Christmas Carol and thus sent my votes in that film's direction, it is hard to do anything other that like this song and it is surprisingly well sung considering the singer is neither a mop, nor a puppet. 

• Like 5

53rd place: 127 points (6 votes, 1 top 10)

Falling Slowly - Once

Now don't get me wrong, I really like this song, and it almost made my own personal list. However as with the Muppet Movie above, I consider this the standout song of the lesser film. For me both Begin Again and Sing Street are both superior films and have superior standout songs. 

However I also know that I am in the minority on both counts as while Falling Slowly scored itself 6 votes, Lost Stars, Drive it Like You Stole It, Brown Shoes and so on all only received a single vote, and even though that was from the most impotent  important voter of them all, it mattered not in the final tally. 

• Like 7

52nd place: 128 points (7 votes, 1 top 5)

Colours of the Wind - Pocahontas

I am of the opinion that if Pocahontas was not based on real people and real events, it would be far better received as it is a decent romance story, it is well animated, and the soundtrack is pretty darn stellar. Now obviously it is based on real people and events and thus is a horribly misguided story that is hard to defend in many a circumstance. 

Despite all that, the songs still manage to get the love that they deserve, well song at least as Colours of the Wind almost breaks into the top 50 to give Disney its 4th (I think) entry on this list, probably a fair few less than was expected by this stage. 

• Like 5
  • Disbelief 1

51st place: 130 points (5 votes, 2 top 10)

This Is Me - The Greatest Showman

And we have our second threepeater as The Greatest Showman drags itself on par with the all time classic that some say is still never not stopping to this day. 

This is the most popular song from the film and the one that got the Oscar nomination. And while it is a very strong ballad that works really well in its place in the film, I do wish there was room on this list for The Other Side (132nd), The Greatest Show, (187th), and Million Dreams (117th). 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 3

50th place: 131 points (4 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10)

Edelweiss - The Sound of Music

One of six songs from the film to receive at least 1 vote, I will say that it is one that surprises me at how strong it shows on these lists each time. While I am not the best judge here, as I am an unrepentant hater of this film to the chagrin of millions (well maybe tens), I always expect other songs from the film to do better as things like Favourite Things and sixteen going on Seventeen just feel more... Musically in my eyes.  Edelweiss being so popular just seems a little like Feed the Birds being one of the top 3 Mary Poppins songs. 

But like I said, I am not the best person to ask with regards to the stature of each song in this film.   

• Like 6

49th place: 132 points (6 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10)

For The First Time in Forever - Frozen

Stunningly, this song managed to beat out In Summer to win the coveted title of 'That Other song from Frozen'. In seriousness, I will say that it surprised me to see this one beat out 'Do You Want to Build a Snowman' which I thought was the concensus '2nd best song from Frozen'. How wrong I apparently am. 

And just think, there is another one of these coming in a few months time and we'll have a dozen more songs to rip this list to shreds in 2021. 

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 1

48th place: 133 points (7 votes, 1 top 10)

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Meet Me In St Louis

And I believe that now makes 4 films with multiple entries on this list. The behemoths of Popstar and Greatest Showman, something called The Lion King and now this. I will also reveal now that one of these four will return Avengers Style for another outing before the list is over. 

This is also a return for Judy Garland onto the list and one has to question if we will see her pop up again, or whether this will turn out to be the highest rated Christmas themed song. So many questions that cannot be answered at this stage. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

47th place: 134 points (6 votes, 1 top 10)

How Far I'll Go - Moana

This song's placement makes me very angry indeed. Not because I hate this song, far from it, I think it is a great song. But... I also consider it to be the fourth best song from the film (Seriously Moana may have the strongest overall soundtrack of any Disney animation in my opinion), but you monsters just brazenly ignored not only Shiny, but also You're Welcome.

I mean... how? Did you do it just to spite me? I mean not a single vote for either? At least we know the way managed to scrape 61 points together, but the other two... you make me all so sad.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

46th place: 135 points (7 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10)

9 to 5  -  9 to 5

Thanks to the video above, I have now learned that the most important scene from 9 to 5 is potentially the moment there are some pencils on the floor and Dolly's boss discovers that Miss Parton's character has some boobs. It must be an era defining scene in context. 

It is yet another title song to make the list, but it is unlikely to be the last.  

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

46th place: 135 points (7 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10)

9 to 5  -  9 to 5

Thanks to the video above, I have now learned that the most important scene from 9 to 5 is potentially the moment there are some pencils on the floor and Dolly's boss discovers that Miss Parton's character has some boobs. It must be an era defining scene in context. 

It is yet another title song to make the list, but it is unlikely to be the last.  

The Top 5 vote came from me as I placed it at #3. The film itself is highly entertaining, although I could imagine how it might seem dated for some of the youngsters around here. It is easily one of the best and funniest comedies of the 80s and it has actually held up very well. The car trunk scene is one of the best acted and reacted comedy scenes ever. Plus, the song is simply iconic. It's no wonder it was included in the montage at the beginning of Deadpool 2. And who doesn't love Dolly?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chasmmi said:

50th place: 131 points (4 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10)

Edelweiss - The Sound of Music

One of six songs from the film to receive at least 1 vote, I will say that it is one that surprises me at how strong it shows on these lists each time. While I am not the best judge here, as I am an unrepentant hater of this film to the chagrin of millions (well maybe tens), I always expect other songs from the film to do better as things like Favourite Things and sixteen going on Seventeen just feel more... Musically in my eyes.  Edelweiss being so popular just seems a little like Feed the Birds being one of the top 3 Mary Poppins songs. 

But like I said, I am not the best person to ask with regards to the stature of each song in this film.   

It's the best song from SOM not just b/c it's beautiful but it works thematically on several different levels.  It advances the core romance, it re-connects a father to the children he closed off from after their mother's death and music left the home, and it works later as song about home in the face of occupation and fascism.

Also...  Christopher Plummer is HOT

(even if he's lip syncing)

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 6:28 AM, chasmmi said:

62nd place: 117 points (3 votes, 1 First, 1 top 5)

If You Leave - Pretty in Pink

We're back in the decade of wonder and soundtrack madness as another first place film sees itself appear in our countdown. Before American Pie  changed what coming of Age Films would look like forevermore about 15 years later, this film starring a very young looking 'Not Matthew Broderick', was part of a slew of releases over the decade that not only shaped what a vast swathe of a generation wanted in their Coming of Age films, but also created an unwritten rule that you must do the fade into the end credits with a timeless Choon. 

Still too low by I realize a lot of the members weren't even born when it's film came out so not much I can expect out of everybody else. It's raining one just curious yes that was me to put it at number one and I think it deserves its spot.

20 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

@chasmmi Any idea when you'll finish?

Because I'd like to get the Fourth Biennial Top Film Score rankings underway soon, since they normally start right after the Boffies but you were already underway with yours.

I'll try to be basically done by the weekend. Am shattered now, but will do a few now. And then will go from there.