Grade it  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I keep returning to how much I loved the characters. Dad was SO fun, and the Wilsons really felt like a family.  I smiled at scene where she wouldn't kiss him.  Such a good character moment.  I think that really elevated the movie from your standard horror movie.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
2 hours ago, baumer said:

@Water Bottle you know @lilmac is black, right?

So? He's the one who said he'd have a problem with a black Legolas or whatever. Seeing as how there's no real difference between a black and a white person, well that's still his problem.

• Like 1

Loved it and looking forward to watching it again. I've been listening to the score all day - Anthem (the opening credits track) is iconic.

Initially I wasn't sure about the final twist, but having slept on it I love how it forces the viewer to confront your own prejudice/opinion of the Tethered (and in turn, the 'underclass' they represent)

Lupita is godlike.

Not quite as good as Get Out - messier and clearly more divisive. But I love how wacky and weird it gets. I cannot wait to see what JP does next.

Good, but not great. In fact, I thought it was great up until the last half an hour or so. In my opinion, the entire mystery behind the doppelgängers just wasn't mysterious and satisfying enough. That got a "meh" reaction from me. Also, the final twist was pretty lame.

7/10

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 1:27 PM, Water Bottle said:

So? He's the one who said he'd have a problem with a black Legolas or whatever. Seeing as how there's no real difference between a black and a white person, well that's still his problem.

lol @baumer - how are you buddy? Almost 17 years since The Amazing Race to 1000. :) 

@Water Bottle - My issue is the artificiality. Part of my issue comes from misplaced assumptions and I realize that (i.e. the producers were not deliberately trying to inject politics or an agenda in their casting/script/etc but I assumed as such). Some of it is not (i.e. inclusion riders and other stipulations). Even if having a black Legolas (that would be awesome actually) benefits me indirectly, it's like a fly in my soup when I see politics blatantly and 'unnecessarily' added in. 

• Like 1

• Community Manager
7 hours ago, lilmac said:

lol @baumer - how are you buddy? Almost 17 years since The Amazing Race to 1000. :) 

@Water Bottle - My issue is the artificiality. Part of my issue comes from misplaced assumptions and I realize that (i.e. the producers were not deliberately trying to inject politics or an agenda in their casting/script/etc but I assumed as such). Some of it is not (i.e. inclusion riders and other stipulations). Even if having a black Legolas (that would be awesome actually) benefits me indirectly, it's like a fly in my soup when I see politics blatantly and 'unnecessarily' added in. 

I mean in my opinion, the best way to cast most projects is as much blind casting as possible (meaning you cast regardless of race and the best person for the role gets it). But with Us, I didn't really see Jordan Peele being "political" when he wrote those lines/directed those scenes. I saw the protagonist find her inner strength and start taking over the situation-which for the record is what most protagonists in a story are supposed to do. That's what makes them heroes. 

It's not "men are dumb, women are good!" The dad might have been a bit of a dork (on purpose-some guys are just dweebs!) but he is able to fend off multiple of the doppelgangers by himself despite being injured and lured them into traps and stuff (showing he's not dumb). The son is able to somehow get his doppelganger to mime him and take him down (but of course gets captured cause he's a child) but is also shown throughout the movie to be clever in setting up illusions. 

• Like 1

The more i think about Us the more plotholes and small logic errors come to my mind. But i dont really know why, i dont care that much about them with this movie. Its greatest strenghths imo are the performances, the cinematography and its soundtrack. Storys in horror films are generally not very logical, so maybe that has also something to do with it.

Still between a 7,5 or an 8/10 for me.

• Community Manager
5 hours ago, filmlover said:

The whole premise of the movie asks you to believe that the government created clones of everyone to try and control them. If you aren't willing to suspend disbelief at that concept, you might as well not even bother entering the theater.

My problem wasn't the concept but the execution of it lol. I still don't understand how the clones who would mimic them would suddenly stop mimicking them. Just because they saw a dance? All of them? Across the whole country? 

Then there's questions of what happens if the clone gets cancer but the original body doesn't? After the dance that liberated them, why did the shadow (or rather original thanks to the twist) main character decide to go through with the self C-section, marriage, and stuff? 

• Like 4

I think people are too focused on the logistics of this movie that are obviously there for the overall metaphorical and visual effect purposes rather than trying to ground the movie in realism.

It’s a near surrealist type of movie, it’s obviously not meant to portray anything close to a grounded reality.

• Like 4

i think the exposition dump speech at the end kinda ruins that reading of the movie as surrealist. it's kinda in the worst possible place it could be. the movie either needed to explain less and make the whole thing metaphorical or go deeper into the government conspiracy element and just make it straightforward but it ends up in a weird inbetween. i think these dumb who could care plothole questions about the logic like "where did they get all those jumpsuits?" "who's feeding the rabbits?" etc wouldn't exist if that speech didn't.

• Like 7

I just had trouble accepting any of this.  To me, a hockey masked killer who doesn't die makes more sense than what they ask you to accept here.  When you start thinking about things like.....if Red is really Adelaide, and she wasn't created by the government, then why does she seem to have super human strength and the reflexes of a cat?  She shouldn't have any of that stuff.  She was left behind by the real Red, hence the real Red should be the one with the super human abilities.

This and so many other ridiculous plot pieces just took me out of the movie.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Panda said:

it’s obviously not meant to portray anything close to a grounded reality.

You're right.  Can you imagine Winston Duke opening his thighs up you on that bed, and not climbing on ASAP?  Movie was so unrealistic.  Couldn't relate. 😉 

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I just had trouble accepting any of this.  ...

HeavenlyDampDartfrog-size_restricted.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I just had trouble accepting any of this.  To me, a hockey masked killer who doesn't die makes more sense than what they ask you to accept here.  When you start thinking about things like.....if Red is really Adelaide, and she wasn't created by the government, then why does she seem to have super human strength and the reflexes of a cat?  She shouldn't have any of that stuff.  She was left behind by the real Red, hence the real Red should be the one with the super human abilities.

This and so many other ridiculous plot pieces just took me out of the movie.

I don’t believe any of them had superhuman abilities, they’re just more animalistic by the environment they were raised in.

One of the key points of the movie is how the tethered aren’t any different than the humans, the “evil, soulless nature” you saw in them was just a byproduct of the environment.

The whole point of the twist is to shift your perspective and force you to empathize with the tethered.  The idea being that “that lower class” is human, and flawed, just like us.

• Like 2

It's a much weirder movie than Get Out, that's for sure. The humour is more overt and as a result the movie is funnier even in the most tense moments and it feels like a weird balancing act all the way through between telling a specific story with underlying themes and going off the rails with crazy ideas that coud undermine any narrative cohesion. I'm still not sure I got 100% of what the movie was trying to say but I'm sure I absolutely loved watching it moment to moment. I got 5 on it is still stuck in my head from last night and I still crack up every few hours remembering the good vibrations/fuck da police whole sequence in the neighbors house. It's been a while since a movie gave me such a good buzz.

And some obligatory praise for the entire cast. Ofc Lupita owned this from start to finish but everyone else also brought their A game. Especially Winston Duke, he is hilarious in almost every scene. 

It's the kind of movie that needs a second viewing though. It could very well be just a stylish house of horrors that will never be half as fun as it was the first time. Or it could be something that gets richer everytime you watch it. 

A.

While Getout has a plausible story and tight logical screenplay , this movies story is all over the place with no what so ever logics , silly and loose screenplay.

It doesn't explain when copies do mimic & when they do not. Why they mimic in first case ?

How did copies survived that long underground ? Didn't government kill them after concluding they were failure ? Instead gov't provided them food clothes (all wearing good Red clothes) medicines and allowed to reproduce ? (some dialogues does indicate they were left alone by as govenment consider them failures) . So it again brings the question how did they manage it all ?

Again copies or tetherers or doppelganger or clones or what ever , they show signs of super streengths , then how can they considerable as failure even though it was not the final outcome they expected .

If copy switched herself  in the first place why copy(actually adelaide in climax) tells her that she went up and saw Adelaide ? 

Also why copy as adelaide  didn't show any traits of copy ? (Only copy that speaks in film is switched adelaide , so other copies can not speak? and yet adelaide copy speaks)

Clearly , that final twist was written like see there must be a twist in the end , it's a hollywood tradition in horror movies thworing everything into mayhem.

Apart from the cliche & dumb writing , performances were top notch and all other departments did a great job.

This was the third dumb film (A quiet place & MI6) I watched in cinemas past 10 months or so with rotten tomatoes over 90% and audience liking it a lot.

Okay audience may not mind much about logics as long as they are entertained , critics too ? then are they really critics ?