Bordlove

Biggest Box Office Disappointments of the Decade

The Hunger Games - Mockingjay Part 1

The Lego Batman Movie

War for the Planet of the Apes

Mary Poppins Returns

These are some of the ones I would consider real big disappointments because people had much higher expectations for them, and it wasn't clear until the box office numbers came in, or very close to release, that they would not do as well as expected.

There were also some small scale movies that had great buzz which made people expect them to break out big and they didn't, like horror movie The Witch and Atomic Blonde.

• Like 2

Is no one really mentioning TFA? The hype around that versus where it fell has to be a disappointment, or am I being crazy? I remember being afraid for Avatar, then it failed to even get past second place! 

It had everything going for it, and sure it did well, but this is Star Wars we're talking about! 

• Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Is no one really mentioning TFA? The hype around that versus where it fell has to be a disappointment, or am I being crazy? I remember being afraid for Avatar, then it failed to even get past second place! 

It had everything going for it, and sure it did well, but this is Star Wars we're talking about! 

Wasn‘t there a JC meeting today you can go to? Enough trolling for today. 

• Like 4

I’m glad that no one mentioning AoU and Civil War yet considering how much overreaction , meltdown and disappointment people in here felt or made for both movies during their box office run. Good times folks.

1 minute ago, Claudio said:

I’m glad that no one mentioning AoU and Civil War yet considering how much overreaction , meltdown and disappointment people in here felt or made for both movies during their box office run. Good times folks.

or TLJ :Venom:

Probably ID:R

The original made over $800 million in 1996 and IDR made less than $400m, even with all the market growth around the world and price inflation since the original. 

Hell, it did 70% less domestically alone!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Scream 4 is the biggest disappointment I can remember from this decade. Signs were pointing to a $40M+ opening leading up to release and it didn't even make that in total.

Still bitter about that. Scream 4 is a very good movie, it deserved way more.

• Like 1

Just now, kitik said:

John Carter says hello

cost $250M

made 73M dom

Carter, King Arthur, T-land all were bombs. But I think to include them on the list one has to ask if they under-performed compared to expectations. Carter certainly is a top candidate. Personally never had any hopes from it and not surprised it did what it did. Poppins performance compared to expectations on the other hand surprised me more despite it being a very successful movie going by the prod budget.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

It never had a chance IMO. It over performed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bordlove said:

Sorry, what is ME and TGD?

I would have to add Passengers as well. Hottest movie stars at that time, big budget production, interesting premise.

If I recall correctly, Passengers did somewhat decently worldwide (didn't it?). 

However, it was certainly a disappointment when you consider all the hype regarding the star wattage (at the time) involved and the expectations that said starpower brought with it. The film had a decent multiplier, but,, at least on paper, it was supposed to make way way more than 100 million domestically. And when you really think about it, it was one of those films that was completely forgotten once it left theatres. It was a pop culture blink-and-you-missed-it kind of moment.

As for JLA...can it really be called a disappointment when all signs pointed to a bad film that would underperform? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Giesi said:

Enough trolling for today. 

There's that vacuous word again. I read that I realise the person posting has already conceded defeat on the point being discussed. Then I see your avatar and... oh. My condolences. 

22 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

It never had a chance IMO. It over performed.

I distinctly remember people talking about it having a chance to unseat Titanic and having a shot at Avatar, similar to talk around IW and Endgame now. Although I understand that my perception of living in the anglosphere probably skewed my view on the entire thing quite a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Justice League flopped because everybody hated Batman v Superman. Batman v Superman is the biggest disappointment of the decade. It had a killer premise that should have guaranteed 1.3-1.5 billion and it under performed and basically destroyed the DCEU. How can that not be number one?

• Like 4