kayumanggi

DHD FRI (03.16): 13.0 M - 21 JUMP STREET | 6.8 M THE LORAX | 4.0 M JOHN CARTER

http://www.deadline....tralia-opening/Welcome to another strong box office. My sources say early numbers for the #1 movie, Sony Pictures/MGM co-production’ 21 Jump Street, are an opening of $12M today and weekend past $30M from 3,121 theaters. The laugher’s budget was only around $45M. Meanwhile, #2 Universal’s Dr Seuss’ The Loraxafter three weeks in release is benefitting from the fact that 24% of K-12 classes are out of school today. The result should be $7.5M-$8M Friday and mid to high $20sM. Disney’s disappointing #3 holdover John Carter is still disappointing a week later — down an estimated -60% Friday for just $4M and -55% for the weekend for $14M>My sources say early box office predictions for Sony Pictures’ 21 Jump Street are for $12M today and an opening weekend past $30M. It’s certain to be the first successful comedy of 2012 (since Fox’s This Means War disappointed…) and reviews have been surprisingly good not just on Rotten Tomatoes but even The New York Times. Not that this is a review driven film. The studio tld me it was “very pleased” that the Channing Tatum-Jonah Hill opened wth $700K Friday midnights from 598 theaters. Meanwhile, 21 Jump Street had a big opening on Thursday in Australia where it became the #1 movie with $735K U.S. dollars(including previews) following a big publicity push by Channing and Jonah who are also executive producers. Though the pic is having a very limited day-and-date rollout overseas. That said, in North America, I’m told that audiences are responding with whoops and hollers when they see the movie’s biggest unadvertised surprise…

Cameo appearances by the original 21 Jump Street TV show duo of Johnny Depp and Peter DeLuise. So why did Johnny do it? “Because he loved the TV show,” a Sony exec tells me. Cool move by Depp.

Edited by kayumanggi

The Spring Break argument really doesn't work anymore. People started saying it early March and it's going to last until the end of April.

A good percentage of schools were on vacation this week. The daily numbers show that. And I don't know why anybody would have used it before this week.With a $13M Friday, I think you're looking at about $34M. Edited by RichWS