Eric Atreides

The Way Back l WB l March 6, 2020 l Coming to VOD 3/24

On 11/16/2019 at 12:45 AM, baumer said:

I kind of loved the trailer.  It's kind of cliched in almost every way, but it's an effective piece.  

Just watched the trailer. I see what you mean @baumer. You'd expect a movie with this subject matter to be cliched, over-done and boring but it actually looks really good. Affleck looks like he gives a good performance. Can definitely imagine myself going to see this.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 1:22 PM, Joel M said:

Gavin O'Connor is a wildly inconsistent director and all of his movies are filled with narrative cliches but when they work, they REALLY work.

I hope this is something close to Warrior and Miracle. 

Yeah I really hope this one works. People struggling with debilitating issues like addiction and then climbing out of it, especially when it's through community, is a subject that never gets old for a lot of people (likely because many people can relate to it, whether it's substance addiction, emotional/mental issues etc.) and it's obviously even more powerful when the filmmakers nail it.

Affleck looks like he gives a good performance in this. My girlfriend and I are actually planning on a double feature on Saturday the 7th of Onward and this. Hopefully neither disappoints!

Kinda, sorta related to this movie....

For anyone who has seen The Morning Show, how is Janina Gavankar in it? I confess that the only thing I know her well from is Star Wars Battlefront II haha. I thought she did a great job though. I like her. Hopefully she's a standout in this movie.

The marketing has been quite saturated here in Toronto at least.  There aren't many films I'm really high on seeing right now, but this is one of them.  I'm a sucker for a good story like this and I've always liked Affleck in pretty much everything he's done.

• Like 1

This is gonna flop. Buzz is nowhere and the ads are selling an R-rated movie like it's a family film (the centerpiece is Affleck getting the team's spirits up with a Miracle-esque big speech and completely ignoring that it's really about addiction), which never ends well.

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

This is gonna flop. Buzz is nowhere and the ads are selling an R-rated movie like it's a family film (the centerpiece is Affleck getting the team's spirits up with a Miracle-esque big speech and completely ignoring that it's really about addiction), which never ends well.

The first trailer was about Affleck's character addiction.

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

This is getting pretty good reviews, but WB released it at the worst time possible

Yeah, I'm surprised considering WB has done little to promote it. Thrilled to see Affleck getting these career-best raves as the end of civilization as we know it unfolds.

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Oh wow, seems like O'Connor turned something that could have easily become a melodramatic cliche into something good.

You could have said the same thing verbatim about Warrior, lol

• Like 1