Ms Lady Hawk

Monday numbers - Us 6M

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Movies that are hated finish with less than double their opening weekend which BvS did. Reaching 330 mil is very easy with a 166 mil opening. Captain Marvel will have reached that number on its 28th day (less than a month) with a 153 mil opening. BvS reached that same number in 12 weeks.

Yes and no

I know a lot of ppl who did not hate BvS

But found

1. no one to watch it again with them, or, as often said,

2. and even more impactful for legs, didn't find the mood, the movie left them at the end, needs a repeat.

I speak about the sad feelings, like after Civil War when people were left with an unfinished situation, not on a high / hopeful note.

Yes, there are people who think its cool, even a proof of quality, if a movie does not end in a happy end,... but in a lot of cases especially if its not about something biographical, people go to the movies to get distracted from life itself not to feel unsettled or sad.

6 minutes ago, Claudio said:

C’mon we all know BvS made that much amount of money thanks to its hype which leads to the gigantic opening weekend $440M+ around the world. It should be able to reach $1B at least with those numbers but instead it’s collapsing DOM with 1.99 multiplier and also less than 2 multiplier for its worldwide total. I don’t know any other reason why it can made that kind of multiplier unless the audience hated or at  very least didn’t like it.

True.

The hype for BvS having the two biggest DC comic book icons finally meet onscreen (with the added incentive of the company's third biggest character finally making her long anticipated movie debut) was insane. That opening was proof that audiences were eager to see this event, but that multiplier is evidence that they did not like what they saw.  At least not enough people liked what they saw, which impacted the word of mouth and thus the re-watchability and repeat business factors.

We can all look for excuses, but there is a reality: there was a palpable reaction all across the board in regard to BvS, and it was not positive. Not even close.

Of course it has its fans.

Every single movie ever made has some fans,

Edited by LouisianaArkansasGeorgia
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

My reasoning? Jurassic World had a worse critical/audience reception than Captain Marvel. Open slightly smaller than Captain Marvel at 5 million dollars(148 mil ow to 153 mil ow). And it will outgross Captain Marvel by about 15 million dollars domestically. I believe we can attribute that to summer movie going season.  

Edit: I remember back in 2011, we had a 100 mil+ grosser starting in early May going all the way to Mid August. Every weekend. It was fun to track.

How do you know this though? I don't have any dog in this fight between either movie. But are we really gonna act like the summer season made that huge of a difference for a film that opened to $148M and made over $400M? If people dont like a movie, they're not going to watch it. If a movie has bad audience reception its legs will get effected regardless of when it is released. The summer season certainly didn't save the last Transformers movie. Nor did it save X-Men Apocalypse. And there have been well reviewed movies that haven't done well in the summer as well. The point is that if people want to watch a movie, they're going to go and watch it. A movie doesn't gross over $400M because of the summer season. 

I mean if you're arguing over a $15M difference which when a movie is making as much as Captain Marvel is making, doesn't really make a difference. You are also making the assumption that Captain Marvel would have had the same opening in the summer as it did in March which as I said before, summer openings tend to be deflated. So technically Captain Marvel would open less than Last Kingdom in the summer and even with better legs make less than Last Kingdom. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

Honestly, the biggest reason CM would have done worse in the summer is it would be post-Endgame...and after Spidey, too...the 2nd movie after the biggest built-up movie ever vs the movie RIGHT before it that leads into it...there is no comparison.

With the lead-in, CM had the perfect spot to max its gross...whatever it makes now, it would have made no more money anywhere else on the calendar...and depending, it could have made quite a bit less...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

How do you know this though? I don't have any dog in this fight between either movie. But are we really gonna act like the summer season made that huge of a difference for a film that opened to $148M and made over $400M? If people dont like a movie, they're not going to watch it. If a movie has bad audience reception its legs will get effected regardless of when it is released. The summer season certainly didn't save the last Transformers movie. Nor did it save X-Men Apocalypse. And there have been well reviewed movies that haven't done well in the summer as well. The point is that if people want to watch a movie, they're going to go and watch it. A movie doesn't gross over $400M because of the summer season. 

Well I don’t know how each movie is going to act exactly, I’m not a prophet. I’ve been following box office since Shrek 2 had its incredible run in 2004. That’s when I really started following the box office. From what I’ve seen movies generally tend to have better legs in the summer than any other season. 

Just my opinion though. Doesn’t mean it’s right. 

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Honestly, the biggest reason CM would have done worse in the summer is it would be post-Endgame...and after Spidey, too...the 2nd movie after the biggest built-up movie ever vs the movie RIGHT before it that leads into it...there is no comparison.

With the lead-in, CM had the perfect spot to max its gross...whatever it makes now, it would have made no more money anywhere else on the calendar...and depending, it could have made quite a bit less...

Absolutely true.

CM was/is perfectly positioned as it is, and it is making a killing at the box office.

So the MCU is still a winner, no matter how we look at it.

• Like 2