sfran43

Tuesday Numbers: US $8.03M

12 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Yeah that's my fault. I was implying not great legs (but not necessarily below average but probably above). I will be more careful in my of meh. Too strong of a negative connotation associated with it.

Good films with awesome openings may not have amazing legs. Great films with just good openings have a better shot of having great legs. Even then no guarantee.

The point was, those chart profiles show 90% of Marvel movies have the same profile. So we can predict with some accuracy what it is going to end up at, which currently is around 405m.

What we don't know is what effect EG is going to have. It may have a positive or negative effect.

With $4.3 million on Tuesday (+49% from Monday), Captain Marvel has earned $327.9m domestic as it approaches its first month in theaters

Overseas is another story. With $591 million in foreign box office as of Monday, it's just over/under $600m overseas by today. It should have around $603m overseas as of yesterday, giving it a global cume over/under $930m thus far. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/03/27/captain-marvel-brie-larson-box-office-disney-avengers-suicide-squad-deadpool-wonder-woman/#2a223ec81c5a

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

The problem with CM is that yes it is having a good run and will finish above a billion WW but there have been recent films where similar runs were downplayed on here so there is no reason to be "OMG what a run by CM!" ....   if all movies that had similar runs were treated equally then maybe there would be more excitement for what CM is doing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 3

Perfect example:   Fast 8.  Fate of the Furious did $1.2+ billion.  I don't believe CM will catch that number. It was treated as "meh" on here. Both movies probably cost around the same ballpark to make,  F8 did better overseas and CM is doing better here in North America.  Nobody was tracking F8 every day and saying what a great run at the box office it's having.  In fact, people were saying it should have done more. Again,  CM will not reach $1.2B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 3

3 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Perfect example:   Fast 8.  Fate of the Furious did $1.2+ billion.  I don't believe CM will catch that number. It was treated as "meh" on here. Both movies probably cost around the same ballpark to make,  F8 did better overseas and CM is doing better here in North America.  Nobody was tracking F8 every day and saying what a great run at the box office it's having.  In fact, people were saying it should have done more. Again,  CM will not reach $1.2B

It’s almost like the expectation for a sequel to a 1.5B movie are different than the expectations for a first entry...

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

All I'm saying is a little consistency would go a long ways.  😉

Captain Marvel isn't a typical 1st entry.  It's the 21st movie into the MCU.   An 8th movie in a franchise doing $1.2 billion some 17 years or so after the first one was released is not something to be excited about?  It doesn't deserve high praise?  

This is where the biases come in.  

Edited by Johnny Tran
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 3

8 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

The problem with CM is that yes it is having a good run and will finish above a billion WW but there have been recent films where similar runs were downplayed on here so there is no reason to be "OMG what a run by CM!" ....   if all movies that had similar runs were treated equally then maybe there would be more excitement for what CM is doing. 

Should be treated like Aquaman. Both recent origin flicks. Both over $1B. Awesome for both.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

It’s almost like the expectation for a sequel to a 1.5B movie are different than the expectations for a first entry...

I agree with you.

However, wait for those folks who want to treat CM as entry #20 in a franchise instead.

9 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

To be fair and realistic, we are still in the middle of an MCU boom, and sociologically speaking, it is normal for lots of people to cheer for/root for /champion whatever is the trendy/hot/of the moment thing in pop culture, while the FF franchise is widely perceived as "not so hot" (even though the actual numbers say otherwise. Also, to be fair, most people here are quite balanced in their assessment of CM. Even its staunch defenders generally call it  "ok" ir "good" (not "great") and most people here who have no horse in this race generally say that its domestic BO run is good (not OMG or extraordinary). There will always be one or two who will scream "troll" at anybody who dares not rave about MCU films and their box office (or any big franchise film) but that is normal for any fandom. 

Edited by LouisianaArkansasGeorgia
  • Like 1

Imagine walking around and trying to down play any movie that's grossed over a billion dollars. All that free time on your hands and you spend it hating on projects that are just winning. Meanwhile the studios making that billie off of one movie is just chilling. 

giphy.gif

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

F8 did insane numbers. At this site CBM are tracked forever and debated forever. For better or worse...

Why? Why is there more investment in tracking one genre over another?  It's a site dedicated to box office numbers,  it's not a fan site. Unless you're telling me that it is a fan site now?  I remember when I first started posting here or even when I was lurking the threads there was discussion on all types of movies and all types of runs..   What happened? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

All I'm saying is a little consistency would go a long ways.  😉

Captain Marvel isn't a typical 1st entry.  It's the 21st movie into the MCU.   An 8th movie in a franchise doing $1.2 billion some 17 years or so after the first one was released is not something to be excited about?  It doesn't deserve high praise?  

This is where the biases come in.  

It doesn’t matter what F&F 1-6 did. F8 was a direct sequel to a movie that made closer to 2B than 1B. Without commenting on whether I personally agree, its 1.2B was met with a shrug for the same reason people were underwhelmed by TLJ, JWFK, and even AoU. It’s in  a completely different category of expectations than CM, so obviously it got a completely different sort of response.       

I guarantee that if BP2 makes 1.15 it will be treated more like F8 than CM.

• Like 2