sfran43

Tuesday Numbers: US $8.03M

6 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Perfect example:   Fast 8.  Fate of the Furious did $1.2+ billion.  I don't believe CM will catch that number. It was treated as "meh" on here. Both movies probably cost around the same ballpark to make,  F8 did better overseas and CM is doing better here in North America.  Nobody was tracking F8 every day and saying what a great run at the box office it's having.  In fact, people were saying it should have done more. Again,  CM will not reach $1.2B

Checks Avatar,... ahhh an FF fan who is a bit sniffed that others might not have reacted to the results like a fan might expects it.

And now compares apples with oranges.

:bash: or :wtf: or  :rolleyes: or ... how to react to that?

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Should be treated like Aquaman. Both recent origin flicks. Both over $1B. Awesome for both.

Well,  I discussed that too.  There were some posts that downplayed Aquaman.  I'm going to get this right.  It wasn't @Thanos Legion that donwplayed it but there were others that said it wasn't impressive.  @Thanos Legion simply said it is easier to reach a billion now than it was even 5 years ago.  

Which is true. But I find it interesting that it was even brought up for that specific movie.  If that statement is true then let it be true for all movies. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Checks Avatar,... ahhh an FF fan who is a bit sniffed that others might not have reacted to the results like a fan might expects it.

And now compares apples with oranges.

:bash: or :wtf: or  :rolleyes: or ... how to react to that?

I'm a fan of action movies like Fast.  I'm a fan of all movies. This site isn't a haven for fanboys, at least not from what I remembered. It should be about numbers for all movies. 

7 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Why? Why is there more investment in tracking one genre over another?  It's a site dedicated to box office numbers,  it's not a fan site. Unless you're telling me that it is a fan site now?  I remember when I first started posting here or even when I was lurking the threads there was discussion on all types of movies and all types of runs..   What happened? 

CBMs are more prevalent as blockbusters than any other kind of movies right now at least. I assume CBM have more $1B+ movies than any other blockbuster genre. Certainly more $750M+ I'd assume. Assume that's why... 

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

8 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Why? Why is there more investment in tracking one genre over another?  It's a site dedicated to box office numbers,  it's not a fan site. Unless you're telling me that it is a fan site now?  I remember when I first started posting here or even when I was lurking the threads there was discussion on all types of movies and all types of runs..   What happened? 

I totally know where you come from, and I think the emotional response that so many people have in regard to CBMs  ("How dare you say that Superhero Man is not doing well, you troll? Please, that film is flopping and you are all idiots for not seeing it! What? Nobody likes that film, NOBODY!! Are you blind!?" ) is not necessarily productive and generally leads to assumptions, insults, and fights).

However, it is not expected and normal that a film genre that is unquestionably Hollywood's current box office king elicits more discussion at at website called Box Office Theory than any other type of movie? 

Edited by LouisianaArkansasGeorgia
  • Like 1

Just now, Johnny Tran said:

I picked F8 as an example. I could have also said Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom. There were people saying JWFK was unimpressive.  I think it's insane to say it about any movie that reaches a billion.  :lol:

But AOU was a disappointment. 

LoL

• Like 1

When a movie reaches 1B while falling from its predecessor, it’s just not the same for many people. If CM2 does 1.05 it will be met somewhere between “eh, so so” and “that’s too bad” despite still being a good number for a solo SH movie in a vacuum.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Perfect example:   Fast 8.  Fate of the Furious did $1.2+ billion.  I don't believe CM will catch that number. It was treated as "meh" on here. Both movies probably cost around the same ballpark to make,  F8 did better overseas and CM is doing better here in North America.  Nobody was tracking F8 every day and saying what a great run at the box office it's having.  In fact, people were saying it should have done more. Again,  CM will not reach $1.2B

There is no bias going on. Somehow people are very sensitive here. How is budget of CM and FF8 is same ballpark? 

I am surprised no one called you out. The profit from CM will be double of FF8

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Which is true. But I find it interesting that it was even brought up for that specific movie.  If that statement is true then let it be true for all movies. 

See, in this regard, I agree with you: if people are going to say that "it is easier to make a billion now than before" to talk about Aquaman, then they should be allowed to do the same to talk about CM's performance or any other billie-grossing film. Besides, there is no inherent "bashing" of Aquaman or CM in addressing the realities of the market or whetever.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matthew said:

FF8 Budget:250M  without China: less than 900M

CM Budget : 152M  without china 980M+

That's why CM is performing better than FF8. 

Btw anyone know how to change profile pic. 

Do it through your account settings. You can upload an image or copy and paste a URL link for the pic you wanna make your profile pic 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Well,  I discussed that too.  There were some posts that downplayed Aquaman.  I'm going to get this right.  It wasn't @Thanos Legion that donwplayed it but there were others that said it wasn't impressive.  @Thanos Legion simply said it is easier to reach a billion now than it was even 5 years ago.  

no

no matter the number in a franchise (helps a lot to reach certain heights, I say most of the MCU starters after Avengers 1 would have earned less if not part of the MCU, but also might have gotten another story) there is still a difference to a known team and an unknown solo intro

I still see every $1b as an insanely good result, but I can understand people who might not be as deeply involved as a fan, react a bit shrug, if there is a drop of roughly $280m from the part before it.

Many wont know the reasons or care less than a fan for the whys. It is an insanely good result in my POV, but even without being a fan (I have watched some parts already, will watch the missing ones also but not 'I have to see it now... like), I am aware about the whys for the 7th part results and the next ones.

But that is no excuse to react sniffed about reactions of others in my POV. There is no one that said its a bad result, only less enthusiastic to shrug of some.

19 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

CM returns to Disney > F8 to Universal.

F8 did 1/3rd from China, where it will get only 1/4th of gross.

In fact, GoTG 2 returns are barely $70mn less, despite WW gross being around 400mn less 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

When a movie reaches 1B while falling from its predecessor, it’s just not the same for many people. If CM2 does 1.05 it will be met somewhere between “eh, so so” and “that’s too bad” despite still being a good number for a solo SH movie.

Ignoring the obvious trolls in this thread,  I could see this being the case with The Last Jedi at least because the TFA did over 2 billion and now your sequel is doing $700M less..   that's a pretty big drop and it's worth mentioning.  

Paul Walker died.. there was some type of box office boost in relation to him passing away.  If expectations for F8 were higher than F7 then that's just not paying attention to certain factors affecting the box office. Expectations for F8 should not be $1.5B or higher,  anything over a billion should have been considered a great achievement and it actually did $1.2 

If anyone is going to cite me on budget costs and marketing costs and use that as your main talking point,  then you should at least provide a source other than "this is what's listed on BOM" because the reality is that none of us actually know what the real budgets are and we are just guessing based on a source that may or may not be reliable. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

Ignoring the obvious trolls in this thread,  I could see this being the case with The Last Jedi at least because the TFA did over 2 billion and now your sequel is doing $700M less..   that's a pretty big drop and it's worth mentioning.  

Paul Walker died.. there was some type of box office boost in relation to him passing away.  If expectations for F8 were higher than F7 then that's just not paying attention to certain factors affecting the box office. Expectations for F8 should not be $1.5B or higher,  anything over a billion should have been considered a great achievement and it actually did $1.2 

I agree that sequels to breakout hits are often burdened with unfair expectations and then viewed in a worse light than hah their objective performance warrants. Still, I think a lot of people where thinking “oh, well, to be fair, F7 was higher than usual, maybe it’ll drop like 20%.” And then it did drop 20%, so the reaction was “yep, like I thought, thar’a not super interesting so let’s talk about a movie that performed very different than my expectations instead.”  Whereas with AQM expectation were more like 500-800, and for CM like 700-900.        

If e.g. Endgame does only 1.6B (#6 all time) it’s going to get savaged on these boards for underperforming.     

In other words, I agree there’s a lot of questionable reception to huge movies that happens. And some of it is certainly driven by franchise biases, yeah. But I think a larger driver is the expectations game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1