Blankments

Blanked Out Reviews, Y5

4 hours ago, Blankments said:

Remainder of the reviews are below:

Hide contents

Skyjumper – Gets more than a little outlandish at points, but this is a decently made sports drama, that rarely feels generic thanks to it’s excellent cast and tight editing. 3/5 

The Rich and Famous – eh… okay, this is very good and starts off well, but then a pure lack of clarity takes over the film. Like, I’m usually forgiving of typos but there are so many here that actually matter to the plot that I can’t just keep PMing Spaghetti for clarification. Moreover, the thematic elements at the end pop up out of nowhere and it doesn’t feel to me like it’s given the time it’s needed. I appreciate stories like this, but ultimately, I wanted a bit more. 3.5/5

Train 38 – an intriguingly trippy film, but unfortunately, it falls into lazy casting and even more bizarre plotting. Things happen just to happen, and it doesn’t feel earned much at all. Eh. 2.5/5

Psychonauts – the manic nature of this gave me a huge headache. Eh, sorry, it felt unstructured and is one of those “total mess” movies. Wasn’t into it at all. 1.5/5

The Winter Star – a decent set-up that becomes blah melodrama. Hard to imagine anyone wanting to see this with so many better options out. 2/5

O, Maestro! – perhaps a bit too indulgent for me, this is still relatively charming and features a strong premise, although the details about are merely weird for the sake of being weird. It’s alright. 3/5

Thanks y'all for paying attention! I'm immediately leaving for a movie so I'll respond to everything when I'm back haha

understandable have a great day

• ...wtf 1

3 hours ago, cookie said:

Can I legitimately ask why?

I'm half-joking to get a rise from Ethan; I'd honestly say my favorite character so far has been Packer, but T-Bot is definitely in the upper characters because he's unique and I legitimately enjoyed the comic relief he brought. TSW2 could've used a bit more of that to me.

In 2, my highlight characters were probably Sal for the first half and Arthur for the second half. Funny enough, I didn't care for either much outside of those halves lol

Retrospective!

That's right, I'm doing a retrospective (mainly so y'all stop asking me if I've read films from Y1-3). After this retrospective, I will not read any films from those years, besides prequels (such as the Voltron franchise for example). Locked-in for me to read are the following:

Y1

The Adventures of Scrooge McDuck @cookie

Faces and Voices @Xillix

Flowers for Algernon @Alpha

The Hunchback of Notre Dame @cookie

Seeing Her @Spaghetti

White Hurricane @Xillix

Y2

56 Days of Love @Hiccup23

And the Band Played On @4815162342

Blank @4815162342

Midnight in the Afghan Valley @Hiccup23

The Parvelli Reunion @Spaghetti

To the Moon @ChD

Y3

The Chrysallids @Hiccup23

Notes from the Otherspace @Spaghetti

The Number One Dime @cookie

Bonus Films

Blood and Fur (Y1) @Spaghetti
Poison and Wine (Y1) @Hiccup23
The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair (Y1) @Bastien
Truth Is (Y2) @Hiccup23
Blood and Fur: Inglourious Paw-Stards (Y3) @Spaghetti
Dark Side (Y3) @Hiccup23
Redeeming Love (Y3) @Hiccup23

The SCP Foundation (Y1) @Alpha

In addition to this, you can suggest one film from the first three years for me to read. If you're represented above, it must be a film you did not write. If you're not already represented, you're allowed to pick a film of your own. As a sidenote, films from Y1-3 I've already read:

Y1

Extreme Dinosaurs

He-Man

Spark Rising

Tattooed Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills

Y2

American Dragon: Jake Long

The Amityville Nightmare

Bounty Hamster

Crash Bandicoot

The Odyssey: The Spoils of War

Samurai Pizza Cats

Ta2ed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills

Treasure Planet

Y3

Call of Duty

God of War

He-Man II: The Revenge of Skeletor

The Odyssey: The Counsel of the Dead

The Scavenger Wars

Silent Hill: Innocence Lost

Spark: Homeward

Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad

Edited by Blankments

3 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

Poison and Wine is my suggestion

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I'll use my recommendation on Poison and Wine (no I'm not trying to make blank sugffer through the sequels. The first one is legitimately one of my favorite folms in the game)

:redcapes:

Edit: We all gotta chip in to make sure Blanks reads both of the sequels too

Edited by Rorschach

13 minutes ago, cookie said:

If you’re doing NOD I guess I should publish the revised version I already finished right away then.

Here you go, about 1k shorter than the original with very few changes (mostly changes so my writing is less needlessly verbose and fixes in sentence structures):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16DKT6SK1X8p_Ep5uMgfEFvB0qLHrMxyqlivT9OU3qjk/edit?usp=sharing

(I'm putting it up once Argonaut is posted in Y6 as well)

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blankments said:

@cookie, no films you're interested in me reading?

Outside of the P&W series for the amusement I can't think of anything besides the ones you've already listed RN

I guess I could go with Dark Side to complete the trilogy.

Edited by cookie
  • Thanks 3