CaptainJackSparrow

Elvis | WB | June 24 2022 | Tom Hanks is Elvis' manager | Baz Luhrmann directs | RIP Lisa Marie Presley

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

This will explode no doubt. $75m/$175m

I actually agree with you here. This has definite potential to be big. Probably not 75/175 but 45/175 is possible since it is releasing same day as Doctor Strange 2 which will hamper OW.

It'll definitely get to at least 100M, but I don't think this is getting anywhere close to 175M. That puts it in the Compton/Bohemian league of music biopics and I don't think Elvis really has the same cultural touch. Obviously everybody knows him, but I feel like, at least for a lot of people around my age, he's not really somebody people obsess over or listen to in their spare time. When I was a kid, outside of Lilo & Stitch, pretty much every cartoon had Elvis jokes or people impersonating him to make fun of the guy.

Queen and NWA's music is both something fun to jam to in surround sound and their stories tackle relevant and topical issues that relate more with younger people today. If anything, there's been a lot of discussion about Elvis and his cultural appropriation, which will probably lead to controversy, whether you agree or not. Austin Butler will have to really deliver in the role to help this get to 150M+

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/hollywood-film-production-resumes-avatar-mission-impossible-king-richard-1234629324/

Warner Bros. is hopeful that Baz Luhrman’s “Elvis” with Tom Hanks and Austin Butler could start shooting by August (most of the cast and crew, save Hanks who got coronavirus, stayed Down Under, so they won’t be hamstrung by travel restrictions)

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2021/01/newcomer-alton-mason-little-richard-baz-luhrmanns-elvis-1234681086/

EXCLUSIVE: Following a lengthy search, director Baz Luhrmann has tapped up-and-comer Alton Mason to play legendary musician Little Richard in Warner Bros’ ElvisSources tell Deadline that even as the film got back into production following suspension due to Covid-19, Luhrmann wanted to make sure he took his time in finding the right American actor to play the part of the iconic showman.

Do they realize this guy is gonna have to be "take your breath away" pretty in the eyes of women in order to be taken seriously as the character...? Thinking butler was miscast 

Edited by excel1

For my money the best fictional screen Elvis was Kurt Russell in the John Carpenter TV Biopic. This was huge for both, it got a massive rating when it was first shown in 1979,  revived Russell's then moribund career, and put Carpenter on Hollywood's radar as a director worth watching.

This is an interesting one because naturally an Elvis biopic would be geared towards an older audience, but because it's Baz (The Great Gatsby found a huge audience through an excellent marketing campaign in addition to Leo that made it look highly appealing to the 18-34 demo), this is almost certain to be more flashy than your typical entry in the genre. Guessing we'll have to wait until we get a first official look at the direction this is being taken in to get an idea as to what its potential is.