CaptainJackSparrow

Elvis | WB | June 24 2022 | Tom Hanks is Elvis' manager | Baz Luhrmann directs | RIP Lisa Marie Presley

3 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I was just coming here to post that I talked to someone that saw this and supposedly it is incredible.  

I've heard the same thing. It's been testing a lot since last year. Revelation headlines for Butler, Hanks at his showiest and an unabashed crowdpleasing ending. Can be a huge hit. WB should probably move it to Oct like they do all their Oscar players but Baz's style is critically divisive so a splashy Cannes premiere and Summer counterprogramming is ideal

• Like 1

This is of course a sight unseen response and I'm sure a trailer will change my mind, but I don't see Elvis as a breakout. Even disregarding the "older auds not returning" issue, which is still valid, I'm not really sure Elvis as a figure is something people care about anymore. You don't really hear his stuff on the radio, even on throwback stations, and my exposure as a kid to him was mainly parodies of him in cartoons, not really a big shining, positive light. If anything, the cultural appropriation aspect of Elvis' music makes the whole thing feel even more dated.

Acts like NWA and Queen are still big deals even to people who weren't born in their heydays and you had Ice Cube/Dr. Dre/Brian May still alive and active in the biz and promoting their films like crazy.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

On 2/4/2022 at 11:08 AM, excel1 said:

This is an excellent combo of concept + director. I think it will do well.

I agree. 

With the right subject "Moulin Rouge" Luhrmann is a fine director, but with the wrong subject "The Great Gatsby" he is lousy.

He is excel;ent within his range, but outside the range is not very good.

On 2/4/2022 at 8:42 PM, Eric Poirot said:

This is of course a sight unseen response and I'm sure a trailer will change my mind, but I don't see Elvis as a breakout. Even disregarding the "older auds not returning" issue, which is still valid, I'm not really sure Elvis as a figure is something people care about anymore. You don't really hear his stuff on the radio, even on throwback stations, and my exposure as a kid to him was mainly parodies of him in cartoons, not really a big shining, positive light. If anything, the cultural appropriation aspect of Elvis' music makes the whole thing feel even more dated.

Acts like NWA and Queen are still big deals even to people who weren't born in their heydays and you had Ice Cube/Dr. Dre/Brian May still alive and active in the biz and promoting their films like crazy.

I disagree. Elvis is somebody even younger audiences know about and have heard his music.

He is a major figure in American Cultural history; Rock music was born with him.

And I really hate this whole "everything about something that happened before I was born is dated" crap.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I disagree. Elvis is somebody even younger audiences know about and have heard his music.

He is a major figure in American Cultural history; Rock music was born with him.

And I really hate this whole "everything about something that happened before I was born is dated" crap.

Okay grandma.

• Thanks 1

The Great Gatsby had ZERO business doing anything even resembling the numbers it did, especially with Iron Man 3 blowing up the previous week. Baz made a highly cinematic version which helped greatly, along with Leo of course. Hanks is not Leo, but I expect this to be a similar visual feast.

My only concern is that Butler is a handsome, yet slightly normal looking guy. The real Elvis caused women to faint. He is kind of a goof by todays standards, but they really need to doll Butler up to make him believable. 

Edited by excel1

Is it confirmed that "Elvis" is really the title because IMDB still has it listed as "Untitled Elvis Presley Project." Usually rule of thumb with musician biopics is that the title come from one of their iconic songs. Guess "Hound Dog" already being used for a notorious Dakota Fanning movie pretty much rules that one out.

On 2/4/2022 at 11:42 PM, Eric Poirot said:

Yeah, you know nothing about Elvis.

Anyway, I wish Tarantino was doing one of his altered histories and we got to see Col Parker gunned down in a blaze of ignominy before he helped send Elvis to an early death.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

Oh sweetheart....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

11 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

Oh sweetheart....

There are actors playing Little Richard, B.B. King and Sister Rosetta Tharpe, so at least the movie knows better.

Test screening audiences love this and the studio seems confident. The likely audience for this hasn't been showing up to theaters in huge numbers recently, but maybe the studio has reason to think the situation will turn back around...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl