CaptainJackSparrow

Elvis | WB | June 24 2022 | Tom Hanks is Elvis' manager | Baz Luhrmann directs | RIP Lisa Marie Presley

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

Wonder if this film will go into his relationship with a 14 year old Priscilla lol. Sleeping with her, giving her dexedrine lol.  

Priscilla said in her book that they didn't do it until they were married (though she hinted that other stuff happened before) and points to Lisa Marie being born exactly 9 months after the wedding as proof. Even if anyone believes that, by modern standards many would view Elvis's behavior towards Priscilla as grooming of a minor, or at best, wildly inappropriate. It was a different time but the media knew about her even back then, they weren't judging him for it (the newsreel gets her age wrong she was 15, not 16, in 1960):

Though back then, if unmarried people were dating, the idea that they weren't having sex yet was kind of plausible? So maybe that made it okay in people's minds (unlike Jerry Lee Lewis, whose career was destroyed when it was discovered that he had married a 13 year old, that she was his cousin compounded the ickiness). The drugs, you can say a lot of people took many substances whose dangers were not fully understood in the 1960s.

But IDK how the makers of this film plan to address the dicier elements of Elvis's life, if they bother. I picture Baz focusing on the professional side of things with Elvis and Colonel Parker and just sidestepping Priscilla as a major figure until the point in the story where it becomes slightly less R Kelly-esque...

47 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Priscilla said in her book that they didn't do it until they were married (though she hinted that other stuff happened before) and points to Lisa Marie being born exactly 9 months after the wedding as proof. Even if anyone believes that, by modern standards many would view Elvis's behavior towards Priscilla as grooming of a minor, or at best, wildly inappropriate. It was a different time but the media knew about her even back then, they weren't judging him for it (the newsreel gets her age wrong she was 15, not 16, in 1960):

Though back then, if unmarried people were dating, the idea that they weren't having sex yet was kind of plausible? So maybe that made it okay in people's minds (unlike Jerry Lee Lewis, whose career was destroyed when it was discovered that he had married a 13 year old, that she was his cousin compounded the ickiness). The drugs, you can say a lot of people took many substances whose dangers were not fully understood in the 1960s.

But IDK how the makers of this film plan to address the dicier elements of Elvis's life, if they bother. I picture Baz focusing on the professional side of things with Elvis and Colonel Parker and just sidestepping Priscilla as a major figure until the point in the story where it becomes slightly less R Kelly-esque...

I know what Priscilla said in her biography but she has has a vetted interest in preserving his legacy so I honestly don't believe her. Even then she has admitted she slept in the same bed as Elvis and they engaged in "long deep passionate kisses", said she spent every night with him, was often tired for school and that Elvis gave her drugs to help her sleep and that he liked her because she was inexperienced. After they broke up she claimed he raped her but then later recanted the claim  

You're probably right that they won't address his relationship with Priscilla in the movie because there's no way they are going to make that relationship palatable in today' age. Just in the age of R Kelly's reckoning it's nagl. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Alli said:

miles teller must be pissed.  they probably wanted someone young looking

First missed out on La La Land, now this (and mostly appears in flops otherwise). Dude has Taylor Kitsch-esque bad luck lmao.

Austin Butler has roles in The Dead Don't Die and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood this summer so his stock is clearly on the rise. We'll see.

I don't like that picture of him in the story, I saw a different one before, and out of the choices he made the most sense to me given his age/appearance/baggage (or lack thereof) with the audience.

I don't know what Harry Styles was even doing in consideration for this when he looks much more like Mick Jagger.

Good luck to everybody involved trying to dodge the questions about Elvis and 14-year-old Priscilla!

25 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I don't like that picture of him in the story, I saw a different one before, and out of the choices he made the most sense to me given his age/appearance/baggage (or lack thereof) with the audience.

I don't know what Harry Styles was even doing in consideration for this when he looks much more like Mick Jagger.

Good luck to everybody involved trying to dodge the questions about Elvis and 14-year-old Priscilla!

Millie Bobby Brown as Pricilla! 

I'm 95% sure Harry is playing Prince Eric in The Little Mermaid  so I also don't think he was ever seriously in consideration. If they ever make a Rolling Stones movie  (which they probably will) Harry should def play Mick Jagger though. I wonder what stages of Elvis's live the movie will cover. He had a pretty long career/ 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

Have a hunch this’ll open Christmas 2020. Gatsby numbers at worst?

Probably not since that had Leo plus had a really amazing marketing campaign behind it, but I imagine Rocketman numbers or more are in the cards provided it's well-received.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

Probably not since that had Leo plus had a really amazing marketing campaign behind it, but I imagine Rocketman numbers or more are in the cards provided it's well-received.

This won't be R, and Luhrmann's a super populist film-maker. Have a hunch that Hanks is what'll help this a lot, and it could have great X-Mas legs a la TGS (assuming this is WB's X-Mas film). Then again, the Hanks factor might not play a big role and it might not even open in X-Mas, so this prediction could implode.