CaptainJackSparrow

Elvis | WB | June 24 2022 | Tom Hanks is Elvis' manager | Baz Luhrmann directs | RIP Lisa Marie Presley

On 2/10/2022 at 7:35 AM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

There are actors playing Little Richard, B.B. King and Sister Rosetta Tharpe, so at least the movie knows better.

Test screening audiences love this and the studio seems confident. The likely audience for this hasn't been showing up to theaters in huge numbers recently, but maybe the studio has reason to think the situation will turn back around...

I phrased that badly. I should have said Elvis  popularized Rock and Roll. I am fully aware of where Elvis got his music; I have read "Last Train To Memphis" the first volume of Peter Guralnick's biography of Elvis, which goes into great detail about his roots in Black music.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Maybe he has learned to adapt his style to the subject matter....something which he failed to do in "Great Gatsby".

His larger than life style is partially why that film made the money it made.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, excel1 said:

His larger than life style is partially why that film made the money it made.

The 2013 Gatsby has some elements I love and some that make me feel that Luhrmann really didn't get the themes of the novel.

The soundtrack for this movie will be much less polarizing, though so many classics are bound to get left out. I wonder what Luhrmann is going to do to make the movie less cookie cutter than the usual music biopic, but maybe it's testing so well because it follows the formula?

Can't wait to do a double bill with this and The Identical:

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

The Great Gatsby is an underrated masterpiece. 

Everything about that movie is mesmerizing, including it's many flaws. 

Curious about this one, i don't think will be a rollercoaster experience like some of his older movies but should be a very distinctive biopic, thank God.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

I doubt any musician biopic will be as fresh as Rocketman

I mean that didn't really do anything unique in terms of storytelling either. It's only better than its contemporaries because the musical numbers are snazzy and Taron Egerton's hot.

14 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The 2013 Gatsby has some elements I love and some that make me feel that Luhrmann really didn't get the themes of the novel.

The soundtrack for this movie will be much less polarizing, though so many classics are bound to get left out. I wonder what Luhrmann is going to do to make the movie less cookie cutter than the usual music biopic, but maybe it's testing so well because it follows the formula?

Can't wait to do a double bill with this and The Identical:

We had @Blankments give a long review of Identical back when we sent him to watch every shitty movie in theaters

• Thanks 1

When the Gary Clark Jr version of Come Together started playing, I thought Baz would do a stylistic thing where all the songs in the movie would be the cover versions to show Elvis's influence. Like Gary Clark's Come Together, UB40's Can't Help Falling In Love, Junkie XL's Little Less Conversation and so on. Wouldn't have put doing such an out of left field thing beyond Baz for sure.

3 hours ago, Eric Drake said:

I'm DYING over Hanks' accent :lol: He sounds like a Bond villain.

Everything else looks alright, if standard I suppose. I'm sure my mom will be all over this.

Wondering how many people are learning today that Colonel Parker was Dutch...

"We are the same, you and I..." in the trailer, Film Twitter will really hate this even more than they were already going to.