CaptainJackSparrow

Elvis | WB | June 24 2022 | Tom Hanks is Elvis' manager | Baz Luhrmann directs | RIP Lisa Marie Presley

Can safely say I was the only person under 40 at my screening.

As for the movie, I guess I didn’t hate it, but it was very uneven. I’ll be the only Butler atheist here and say that he was good but it wasn’t anything you won’t see from any half decent Vegas impersonator. It didn’t seem like he tried to get to the real man behind “Elvis” at any point.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

Can safely say I was the only person under 40 at my screening.

As for the movie, I guess I didn’t hate it, but it was very uneven. I’ll be the only Butler atheist here and say that he was good but it wasn’t anything you won’t see from any half decent Vegas impersonator. It didn’t seem like he tried to get to the real man behind “Elvis” at any point.

not his fault when the script gives him nothing else to do or asks anything else from him

Does this show the boring but necessary moments of Elvis really honing his craft or is like every other music biopic where it's a lighting bolt moment and suddenly he's a superstar (followe by a montage)?

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

If I was giving out a Cinemascore I would go with (A-). I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Austin Butler was definitely the right choice because he stole the show and it would not surprise me if he got an Oscar nom. 

Edited by StormbreakerXXR

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Ah this was great. Very sad! 

Baz’s style is all over it, can make even the most basic close up look stunning. Butler was fantastic. Hanks was irritating but his character was supposed to be. 

Weirdly I think the film is much better in the second half than it is in the first half.

I think this made as much as an Elvis biopic release near July 4th was ever going to make. We will see how legs go since WOM looks good/great, but I think this may have opened a bit higher in a slower market with less competition all late Q3/early Q4. 

The Doja Cat original song for the movie is growing up day by day on Spotify. Yesterday it peaked at #39 in the global chart (first time in the top 50) and is near to the top 10 in the Us, peaking at #12.

Seems like it could be a solid hit, getting chances for a Best original song nominee.*

* it uses a sample of the original version of Hound Dog. I don't know if this is a problem for The Oscars and they don't nominate songs with samples or interpolations of other songs cause the sound is not 100% original. Someone know about it?. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1