CaptainJackSparrow

Elvis | WB | June 24 2022 | Tom Hanks is Elvis' manager | Baz Luhrmann directs | RIP Lisa Marie Presley

I liked the idea of Luhrmann doing Kung Fu over this. He makes it all more lively but I'm so over musician biopics. "Walk Hard but not funny" is how you could describe all of them, and I can imagine an Elvis film going down like that too.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/tom-hanks-elvis-presley-manager-baz-luhrmann-1203121035/

Tom Hanks is in negotiations to play Elvis Presley’s iconic manager Colonel Tom Parker in Baz Luhrmann’s untitled Warner Bros. biopic about the legendary musician.

Luhrmann will direct the movie. He also penned the script with Craig Pearce.

Parker discovered Presley when he was just an unknown and quickly moved in as his lone representation. Parker was responsible for various milestones, including Presley’s record deal with RCA and his successful acting career.

While Luhrmann always envisioned a star for Parker’s part, he wants a newcomer for the role of Presley. The director has begun meeting with talent for the part.

Insiders say a budget is still being ironed out, but Hanks’ commitment will urge the studio to push the project forward. Luhrmann hopes to get the pic into production sometime this year.

Bohemian Rhapsody is the new Avengers, and music biopics are the new cinematic universes. WB, Fox and Paramount all have their hats in the ring now. Universal did Compton. Wonder what Disney/Sony decide to sugarcoat and sell to the masses.

Also, Great Gatsby was a disaster.

On 3/29/2019 at 1:24 AM, TMP said:

Bohemian Rhapsody is the new Avengers, and music biopics are the new cinematic universes. WB, Fox and Paramount all have their hats in the ring now. Universal did Compton. Wonder what Disney/Sony decide to sugarcoat and sell to the masses.

Also, Great Gatsby was a disaster.

Gatsby was very successful financially so it's no surprise that WB wants to work with Baz again. 

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Gatsby was very successful financially so it's no surprise that WB wants to work with Baz again. 

Yeah, this will probably make a lot of money too, so it makes sense financially. 

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:31 PM, TMP said:

Yeah, this will probably make a lot of money too, so it makes sense financially. 

I thought Lurhmann's Gatsby was an insult to the Scott Fitzgerald novel, but it made a lot of money.

On the other hand this is the kind of story that Luhrmann can do well....problem was that, from an artistic viewpoint, Baz was the wrong choice for Gatsby.

I just hope he sticks to the facts that have come out about the Colonel.......that the Colonel was pretty much a con man and although he did discover Elvis, he probably hurt Elvis's career in it's later stages.

John Carpenter's 1979  Elvis Biopic is pretty good..and it made a star out of Kurt Russell who was pretty much washed up, having out grown the kid/teenage roles he was playing for Disney.....but a lot has come out about Elvis since then, and hopefully Luhrmann will take advantage of this.

Which lead to the question of who will play Elvis..I think Baz is right in going for an unknown.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

To me, any attempt at Marilyn, ELvis, or Dean biopics will never breakout at the box office. Those three at just the ultimate magical icons. Their showbiz personas are so gigantic, so utterly embedded in the fabric of pop culture, that nobody who plays them will be able to capture their mystique or essence and no amount of filmmaking talent behind the camera will convince large audiences to pay to see their magical icons being dissected by cinema.

• Like 1