sfran43

Weekend Thread: weekend #s (Actuals) Dumbo $45.99M, Us $33.23M, CM $20.66M

It's interesting that people rag on about Disney remaking their back catalogue when the likes of Warner Bros and Sony have done the same, Warner Animation Group is doing both Space Jam 2 and Tom and Jerry for example. 

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, john2000 said:

sorry but what do you mean ? if you dont mind my stupid question ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uber

as a passenger you drive with smeone not trained, without a license to transport, no insurance....

A pro has to pay a lot to get a Taxi license, has to do qualification,....Uber kills tons over tons of small business. No one controls the drivers for....

40 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

I am distrusting of the concept of Uber. Cause at the end of day, you are riding in some random stranger's car.

Yep. Probably a fun thing after you need a driver after a strange costume party..... (extreme scenario: how to find out where someone ended who did not arrive where he/she planed to end?)

13 minutes ago, Barnack said:

And I will anwser the same, do you think that I am a moron not knowing all of this ?

And 7,000 movies made not released, almost all movies made have a less than 1 million budget, not sure what is the point being made ?

As so many new get made,

1. how to get awareness to genre fans, to GA, to..?

They have to 'scream' over each other, have to pay more than in the past for the same effect, as the old mthods wont be enough anymore....

2. Also: which story wasn't actually not told already out of the (too) many movies offered?

It get too much, too like having 300 TV stations or more at home at once.

Much of what is shown in a cinema, I have to ask myself, is that visual, that story,... even worth to get watched in a cinema?

In a few weeks, in a few months, I might catch it on HV or TV anyway.

GA only watches a few movies per year in a cinema, with a family to go to a cinema is expensive, needs ages for transport... too or expensive for a half day paid babysitter...

In brand peple trust, if the brand has not broken trust.

A bomb I do not mean, but certain markers. Like a horror studio, who will do a romance without a horror background, not really advertising this, not already having a strong / longlasting brand name, might damage its brand strngth.

Why leave the children at home for a movie that is o.K to watch at home too?

Cinema for the GA is about the special moments, where the big screen really helps.

Again, admissions did not went up, but the released movies count big times. The probability to sell tickets is the highest for those, who make a visual interesting movie, with a story that actually might interest (and not depress) GA (in opposite to the smaller skales genre, special,.... movies)

I think we will see a big change over the next decade there too. some of the smaller distributors might have a chance, if going together if chosing wisely .

An get the budgts down,

Material not for the GA = can not count on th GA, without the GA, only way smaller budgets will help.

And there the $1m movies might even get chances, like if telling a local story in a special way.... if someone hears them announcing it, in the too big of a pool to chose from.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Beside their catalog,... as the huge reason,..

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Anybody who bothered to read any of the stories on the Disney/Fox Deal would know that the Fox Library for Disney's streaming service was Disney's #1 objective in the merger.

AMuses me that on a website supposedly devoted to box office, so many people know crap about the film industry.

That is exactly what I mmeant with catalog,... (I am not sure about the terms: the catalog of films and the rights to scren them on TV all over the world = 'rent' to a TV station, income / using possibilities here and there, ww) = that is the huge reason. All the rest here is small fishes in comparison at best

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's interesting that people rag on about Disney remaking their back catalogue when the likes of Warner Bros and Sony have done the same, Warner Animation Group is doing both Space Jam 2 and Tom and Jerry for example. 

Reference earlier pages to understand why people are irritated at Disney instead of regurgitating the same argument that obtusely misses the point

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

Isn't that why they've had other brands such as Touchstone Pictures? Remains to be seen if they'll leverage the Fox brand as the brand for those other kinds of films, but certainly there's ways to release films outside the family spectrum without tarnishing your brand.

I think their break for that has a lot of reasons. Including their change to inhouse financing, but also others. Not all of those might be still valid with having to feed Hulu now too.

Yes, we will see. I can imagine less output there as well over the time.

I do think they have to continue more seriouly as the last time,

FOX was/is bigger than Touchstone, they need some % fresh material on the streaming services too in the long run.

In the end, lets say optimistically 40 movies a year by Disney & FOX = will be less than a drop in the ocean of material (TV series,... too) that will be needed to feed hulu, Disney+ and so on

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

And they are getting outdone.  Without Disney by now the "theaters are dead" chants would be a lot louder.  People may get their wish too....if Disney decides to pull even half their releases to Disney+ then AMC is probably toast and no number of recliner renovated theaters will save them

Those other studios would be even more “outdone” if they didn’t diversify things.

Disney is milking three franchises that are in at the moment (MCU, Star Wars, Disney Remakes).

The other studios wouldn’t start making Disney numbers for their franchises by cutting their original stuff.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I disagree about people only wanting sequels and remakes and comics. Films like Us show that people do want original content.

But that is not an 4 quadrant GA movie (beside, I'd say mostly into, with the occasional side-step)

9 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I am sorry, which quote ? (I guess it is stupid to ask if you deleted it ?)

You did a post with chart per year copied into with color coding certain numbers. I tried to use the same method in the answer, tried to shorten the quote, so the post might end less than a kilometer long, but somehow that did not wok - it grew instead with epmty places not removieable. Was very strange.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I disagree about people only wanting sequels and remakes and comics. Films like Us show that people do want original content.

Not only sequels and remakes. But it is pretty telling imo that the really successful original films are making like 1/3 the really successful franchise films.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

WW Home Entertainment costs revenues at $111m seem low. 

Yes DVD/BR are down but Streaming has overtaken them as a revenue source, some films making twice as much on streaming and attendant costs are far lower.

Or they putting part of  streaming in with WW TV revenue?

It does seem low to me has you said, both in those type of "stats":

vol131_img.gif

And on studio annual report, since the bubble bursted in 2010 it seem to have stabilized and slowly growing back in the last 2-3 year's and not some doom & gloom downward trend.

It is probably put on the global tv line.

https://deadline.com/2014/03/despicable-me-2-2013-most-profitable-movie-universal-705554/

Considering that TV amount is very similar to Iron Man 3 above Frozen Guardian of the galaxy had 133m in tv in the 2014 deadline box office ranking game.

According to deadline revenues estimate,

Aquaman: 732m (1.15b box office, 334m dbo, 457m in rental, 275m after)

Gravity: 622m (723m at the box office, 274m dbo,  278.65m in rental, 343.4m after much more than Aquaman)

Iron Man 3: 1.02 billion (1.125b at the box office, 409m dbo)

That not a lot more money from those almost 400m extra dollar at the bo.

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

If people want more "original" content then they hould have gone to see John Carter, Tomorrow Land, The Finest Hours & Queen of Katwee

Queen of Katwee was a limited release, The Finest Hours had shit marketing (after of Star Wars 7 success, they not even cared about TFH anymore. I tried watch it but it was a limited release here) and the others are meh/awful. Why don't Disney try to focus on script and not on special effects?

Edited by Litio
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Those other studios would be even more “outdone” if they didn’t diversify things.

Disney is milking three franchises that are in at the moment (MCU, Star Wars, Disney Remakes).

The other studios wouldn’t start making Disney numbers for their franchises by cutting their original stuff.

This is a 200B public company.  That's based on their strong IP.  Expecting them to break from their formula and stop leveraging what's market proven is silly.  ESPN can also replace monday night football with Monday night pingpong to keep things fresh.  Activision can make the next call of duty a role-playing game.  Why do you think iPhones are the same each year?

This isn't some small studio that is going to take chances to make a name for itself.  It is going to aim to achieve predictable revenue and earnings

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Barnack said:

According to deadline revenues estimate,

but they do only estimate based on industry averages, they do not know the real numbers. Some titles vary very strongly from the averages (plus and minus)

Somtimes I wished the would stop to release such estimated charts and only report the details that get through or are to find in tax / owner reports or whereever

I do hope (optimist that I am) the will change to a more clear reporting based on payments to make to actors, writers, .... I hope for some laws about thm have to open the books Will probably never happen

13 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Amen.  And even if I went with people wanting sequels and comics (which I do agree that they do), remakes have NOT had the type of universal great runs that lots of the sequels and comics have had...for every Beauty and the Beast, there's a Pete's Dragon.  And let's not forget how awful the remakes of King Arthur and Robin Hood do.  

People do NOT want remakes upon remakes of material once they have their beloved version - they want Hollywood to move on and give them something different.