sfran43

Weekend Thread: weekend #s (Actuals) Dumbo $45.99M, Us $33.23M, CM $20.66M

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

The cynic in me wants to make  some dig on this movie. The kid in me is kinda in love with how they managed Dumbo to express himself so much just using the eyes. It might be an uneven Tim Burton's mess, but I'm honestly considering catching  this in theaters. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nevermore said:
DUMBO (2019) A-

It's been a while that I don't root for an underdog blockbuster joint. Fly, Dumbo. Fly. 

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

That is a little bit harsh for D and Us....

Endgame effect. People are starting to save money for that. And well, Shazam!. 

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 1

Dumbo on track for over/under $45m OW

US burned off a lot of demand last week, but I can still see it going up with actuals due to late night surges

CM looks like it'll end up just over $400m dom?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Dumbo on track for over/under $45m OW

US burned off a lot of demand last week, but I can still see it going up with actuals due to late night surges

CM looks like it'll end up just over $400m dom?

Hmm, doubt it. I expect Captain Marvel to enjoy one HELL of late legs. Albeit THG are the most suitable March releases to compare to, it's still perfoming over Wodner Woman at the same period of time, with tougher competition and Endgame coming along. While it'll take a while, Carol is topping both Civil War and Wonder Woman domestically, imho. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Rthmar-vell said:

D 14.9, Us 10.4, CM 5.5

Us' number isn't amazing, but it's definitely better than the previous 9m estimate. It's probably going to be something a bit below a 50% drop. CM's number is good for 20m+

Edited by Djsoke
Misinterpreted Dumbo's # :(

5 hours ago, Barnack said:

Rocky Horror Picture Show (I imagine that always play somewhere)

Runs in my state's capitol since 24. Juni 1977 running at least several times per week in the same cinema I think they are world record holder for that too.

5 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Generally these re-releases are less about making big grosses (well, it was about making big grosses once Lion King 3D made all that money, but typically...), and more about maintaining popularity and fandom for a classic movie and siphoning out a couple of quick bucks. There's also little cost in re-releasing and sometimes even marketing, so it's low-risk and mild reward.

Sometimmes its anniversaries,.... that might ead to the same on disc / colector boxes,...

Like a huge promo for...

5 hours ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Us is going to outgross most "4 quadrant" tentpoles this year. 

And?

I'm not going to fully commit to this take until Sat number roll in for Dumbo, but I gotta say I'm not really surprised if it does come in low.  Pre-sales were just blah all the way leading up to release.  Yes, it's a family movie, so it's much much MUCH more walkup based.  But even then, just..

Blah really is the best word I can use.  Never got the sense it would crash and burn like AWiT did, but I also didn't get a whiff of it taking off (no pun intended).  Took a peek at Fandango sales earlier today, and it was still pretty meh.

So I can't say I'm surprised by this.

And, no, wasn't hoping for it to happen.  Really had no opinion of the film, one way or the other.

Will be interesting to see the legs for this, though.  When it comes to family films, it's probably on the younger side than Shazam!, so it might appeal to a slightly different set.  And while Endgame is going to be a true 4 quad monster, it's just not the same as "My kid is screaming and I want to shut them up for a couple of hours, let's go to something that looks fun" type movie.

Actually, really am interested to see just how the Dumbo/Shazam! battle plays out when it comes to legs.  On the one hand, Shazam! should get its legs cut out from under it with another CBM out so soon (not to mention another one still in theaters).  On the other hand, it's very well reviewed and it's a different type of CBM than ether CM or Endgame.  Meanwhile Dumbo is more of the stereotypical family film, but the jury might still be out on the WOM, though that CinemasScore is a good sign.

Really interesting from a data nerd viewpoint to see how it all plays out.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Djsoke said:

I think Dumbo's number looks better than 45, probably over/under 50 with a 17.5 opening day. Us' number isn't amazing, but it's definitely better than the previous 9m estimate. It's probably going to be something a bit below a 50% drop. CM's number is good for 20m+

Dumbos 15 includes previews.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Hmm, doubt it. I expect Captain Marvel to enjoy one HELL of late legs. Albeit THG are the most suitable March releases to compare to, it's still perfoming over Wodner Woman at the same period of time, with tougher competition and Endgame coming along. While it'll take a while, Carol is topping both Civil War and Wonder Woman domestically, imho. 

Huh CM has been majorly lagging behind Wonder Woman since last weekend. What are you talking about?

• Like 2