TombRaider

Alita, what went wrong??

Just now, That One Guy said:

Not sure where you're pulling that from, I remember a similar amount of promo for GITS as Alita.  The only issue was that the promo for GITS wasn't anywhere near as appealing as Alita's

I know where he pulled it from and it's not a pleasant place

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I didn't like the December 2017 preview, they should have waited until they had more material to show. Apparently Fox forced them to release a preview.

Jeez, I had forgotten it came out in 2017. Marketing campaigns that long are almost never a good idea, especially if it's not for a franchise film. 

10 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Not sure where you're pulling that from, I remember a similar amount of promo for GITS as Alita.  The only issue was that the promo for GITS wasn't anywhere near as appealing as Alita's

they spent 200m on alita promo against 50m for GITS

i saw alita's trailer in every movie of late 2017/18

Edited by TombRaider

3 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

Source for those marketing budgets?  GITS probably had more of a promo cost and I imagine Alita had far less.  Deadpool 2 had a 135M P&A cost for example (https://deadline.com/2019/03/deadpool-2-box-office-profit-2018-1202583699/), no way Alita cost 65M more.

Edited by That One Guy

6 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

From DHD. 

Ghost In The Shell stands to lose at least $60M, and that’s based off a global B.O. projection of $200M ($50M domestic, $150M international) and combined P&A/production costs of $250M.

From BOM:

Production Budget: $110 million

That's 140m marketing. 

• Like 1

Nobody was fooled that it was a JC movie.

Rose Salazar is a Literal Who 

Anime does not translate well into movies

GA doesn't care about Anime

GA doesn't care about amnesiac robots who want to be human and shit

It was overshadowed by CM hype

Worst romance ever ruined what could have been a decent sci fi action so WOM was blah

JaiBless curse

Edited by Valonqar
  • Knock It Off 1

52 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Ghost in the Shell made 169M.  If anything Alita overperformed, especially compared to pre-release expectations.  It won't be a huge profit for the studio, but it should break even in the long run

Mods, change the title to 'What Went Right'.:ohmyzod:

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Thanks 3

yes, but you see, I'm talking about quality.  you know, the actual movies, and how great they are.

I don't think this thread is for assessing the quality of the movie, but rather the box office. 

yes, but you see, I'm talking about quality.  you know, the actual movies, and how great they are.

i concede that Alita isn't a bomb but a disappointment now that I've seen budget/total. But it wasn't great. Romance was awful. I like romance in JC movies but this was obviously NOT a JC movie.