Eric Atreides

CinemaCon 2019 Discussion Thread l April 1-April 4 l Paramount (1 ET/10 PT) Lionsgate (5:15 ET/2:15 PT)

https://deadline.com/2019/04/streaming-vs-moviegoing-study-nrg-deadline-movie-ticket-prices-box-office-1202586605/

EXCLUSIVE: Heading to the movies or staying home and streaming one — is it a Sophie’s Choice on the weekend? A recent NRG-Deadline study about moviegoers’ habits has revealed that 66% of those polled frequently watch movies at home on the weekend via streaming, versus 33% who frequently attend the theater. In addition, 60% said they’re streaming more over the past year, versus 34% who said they were going to the cinema more.

However, when given a choice, 61% would rather see a movie they’re interested in on the big screen than via a streaming service.

While the price of a movie ticket has always been heralded as the most economical form of entertainment next to sporting and concert events, 58% of those polled believe movie ticket prices are too expensive (they can range from $12-$14 in certain suburban markets, $18-$21 for a premium format seat), whereas the monthly price of streaming (generally around $10-$13 depending on the service) with its access to a catalog of movies and TV series was found to either just right (48%) or considered a complete bargain (33%).

What these results speak to is how streaming’s monthly subscription price model has influenced consumers’ expectations going forward when it comes to their entertainment choices. And exhibition has increasingly become keen to this as they expand their monthly loyalty programs in the wake of Moviepass’ crash and burn (largely a result of that service being an outsider to the financial equation between exhibitors and distributors, which made it hard for Moviepass to monetize their share). Forty-four percent of those polled in the NRG-Deadline Survey expressed that they are definitely interested in subscribing to a monthly movie ticket subscription service. AMC Stubs’ loyalty program is currently headed to 20M households, already counting 2.6 people per household and close to 50M moviegoers. The exhibitor’s $19.99/a month service which allows members to see three movies a week at any time or format recently clicked past 700K members at the end of February.

Another facet of the study revealed how moviegoers prefer to watch certain film genres: on the big screen or streaming at home.

The movie theater remains the prime venue to watch action adventure films (63%), superhero/comic book movies (56%), suspense thrillers (48%) and horror films (42%). And that comes as no surprise considering recent respective hits in those categories as Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Captain Marvel, A Quiet Place and Us, etc.

Those genres that are preferred to be streamed at home include documentaries (59%), comedies (53%), drama (55%), and romantic comedies (49%). For the most part these numbers sync up with what we’ve been seeing at the box office.

However, as streaming continues to grow its massive footprint, we can’t ignore the fact that the domestic box office has exploded simultaneously, with U.S./Canada ticket sales exceeding $11 billion annually since 2015, last year setting a new record of $11.89B, and many predicting a $12B year with the anticipated success of Avengers: Endgame and Star Wars: Episode IX. While 78% say streaming is more convenient, the NRG-Deadline study also reported that a majority of those polled still love the theater for its unique and immersive experience, see it as the best high quality entertainment and escapism to experience with others, with 53% saying that cinema still forges the cultural conversation.

• Like 2

Anyway, the STX panel is about to start in 15 minutes. I'll try to post in as many live tweets as I can.

btw the CinemaCon hashtag on Twitter right now is basically nothing but those "Release the Snyder Cut" goobers. The tweets during the WB panel are gonna be fun.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Anyway, the STX panel is about to start in 15 minutes. I'll try to post in as many live tweets as I can.

btw the CinemaCon hashtag on Twitter right now is basically nothing but those "Release the Snyder Cut" goobers. The tweets during the WB panel are gonna be fun.

I'm still waiting for the Snyder Cut of The Last Jedi

https://www.change.org/p/lucasfilm-release-zack-snyder-s-director-s-cut-of-star-wars-the-last-jedi

22 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Saying the film was successful worldwide is highly exaggerating the real numbers: $174.5M US/Canada and $64M the rest of the world. 

I think he's referring more to them not taking the Netflix deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

Another day, another time I wish we had an eyeroll reaction.