baumer

Pet Sematary (2019)

Grade it  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Just getting out of theater. Overall a pretty solid movie, woukdn’t say it’s scary but def has some good creepy moment. I think the only drawback I’d have is that it does tend to do a bit too many jump scares which are annoying. Other than that I had a great time, liked the ending better here than other film. A-, 8.8/10

• Like 1

Pet Sematary (2019) is not a film for critics. The script is a bit wonky at times and the jumpscares arent necessary. The changes from the book are also bound to be a bit controversial though i personally think this films story is better than the original or the book. Ellie just is a way more better choice for the "zombie" than the young boy.

The Cinematography is nothing too extraordinary, but the lighting and the sound effects compensate for that. The acting is actually stellar; Jason Clarke was believable which was incredible important since his character makes some really dumb decisions, but the film managed to convince me that his actions were - from his point of view - understandable. The girl who played Ellie was also very good, as was the mother.

I just had kind of a blast with this. The grim and very dark tone and the ending really sold this for me. It isnt scary, but very creepy at times.

The newest version of Pet Sematary luckily belongs on the stronger end of the wildly uneven history of Stephen King horror adaptations. While a little messy and not quite as effective in crowd-pleasing as the 2017 It or in darker terror as Frank Darabont’s underrated adaptation of The Mist, this new Pet Sematary works as an atmospheric and suitably dark take on King’s novel. The film particularly takes off in its final half-hour, in which directors Kevin Kolsch and Dennis Widmyer commit to twisted and unnerving violence that pairs well with the narrative’s examination of the need to move past grief and trauma rather than unearthing it. The script is admittedly on the nose with this point, but the actors play their characters’ struggles with various traumas well enough to make the message feel relevant within the narrative. Jason Clarke, Amy Seimetz, and Jete Laurence are all effective and fairly believable in their respective parts (with Clarke’s conviction effectively outweighing the questionable nature of some of his character’s decisions), and John Lithgow makes the most of his limited screentime with a captivating, lived-in performance as a friendly neighbor who is clearly haunted by his past. The ending is likely to divide audiences (though it doesn’t go as far as The Mist in this department), but I was onboard with it as a fairly gutsy ending that leans into the dark nature of its source material. It’s not the best King adaptation nor even the most effective horror film out right now, but it’s a sufficiently freaky genre offering that digs deep enough on a psychological level to justify its visceral scares. 

B

• Like 1

Hey it’s better than Carrie ‘13. But that’s not saying much. The original and it’s sequel are way more memorable. Jason Clarke is bland as the lead but tries at least. The wife is dull, and the daughter is a complete moron... and John Lithgow is very forgettable as he is there to die and be a causality. Hell John Lithgow had more to do in Raising Cain than this lol. 

Anyway only plus side of the film was the dead black guy just like the dead guy from the original was alright and the playing god moral but the original did that as well and the sequel which I may rewatch soon. 

Also was it just me or was the ending out of tone for the film? It felt like it was being too tongue and cheek for a dark film and it didn’t work. 

Overall a disappointing remake. I’m going to be kind on this one unlike Carrie ‘13 which I gave an F and give this a high D considering it tried but it failed to be something. 

• Like 1

Solid movie. One of these cases where a bad script is elevated by director(s), actors and production. 

I didn't like the changes they made at all, the friendship between Lou and Jud was built on a ridiculous and unbelievable way, and I hated they didn't explore the whole concept of humans being puppets of supernatural forces as the book implies. But it's a solid movie, soundtrack is fantastic, acting is great from pretty much everyone, and it actually has some technical values. 

B