CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

The idea that there was no course correction, even after they brought in Steve Kloves to help write the script, seems baffling to me. Is WB trying to avoid another Justice League situation or are they just not willing to deviate from what Rowling wants? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ViewerAnon said:

I've heard there has been zero course correction from THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD. It's very much another movie of that ilk.

If this wasnt DOA it may as well be now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The idea that there was no course correction, even after they brought in Steve Kloves to help write the script, seems baffling to me. Is WB trying to avoid another Justice League situation or are they just not willing to deviate from what Rowling wants? 

But she removed Brazil completely which was where FB3 was based mostly initially! There was huge revamps. 

7 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I can’t imagine that WB would be willing to commit to pumping out two more movies after this. This movie needs to be able to serve as a finale. 

Yeah, this does poorly WB will not exercise it's option for the next 2.

On paper, if that happens, I guess Rowling can shop the next 2 films around, but don't know if other studios would be interested.

25 minutos atrás, dudalb disse:

Sim, isso funciona mal. O WB não exercer sua opção pelos próximos 2.

No papel, se isso acontecer, acho que Rowling pode comprar os próximos 2 filmes, mas não sei se outros estúdios estariam interessados.

25 minutos atrás, dudalb disse:

Sim, isso funciona mal. O WB não exercer sua opção pelos próximos 2.

No papel, se isso acontecer, acho que Rowling pode comprar os próximos 2 filmes, mas não sei se outros estúdios estariam interessados.

26 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Sim, isso funciona mal. O WB não exercerá sua opção pelos próximos 2.

Does anyone have any comments about Mads Mikkelsen as Gellert Grindelwald?

The reason the first movie made over $800 million was because it was sold as "comic misadventures with cute fantasy animals set loose in 1920s New York City". Jumanji meets Harry Potter meets the Jazz era. 

The fact that JK and WB seem to acting like the bit everybody actually got hyped for was the grim dark pointless backstory centred around a piece of Harry Potter lore, is mind boggling to me. 

Imagine if each sequel had just been the fun adventures of Newt and pals in new cities all around the world meeting fantastic new creatures, that's a frigging money printing machine. 

It's a horrific miscalculation made worse by the fact that they've doubled and tripled down on the backstory stuff, even though they are well aware that nobody actually wants it. 

And I know they're well aware of this because they keep calling these movies Fantastic Beasts and shoving Newt, the creatures, and exotic locales in, because that's what the audience actually likes. 

Edited by TerwillikerInst
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TerwillikerInst said:

Imagine if each sequel had just been the fun adventures of Newt and pals in new cities all around the world meeting fantastic new creatures, that's a frigging money printing machine. 

Is it? Nobody seemed terribly excited for FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM until that last trailer which was designed around all the Harry Potter connections.

I don't think audiences have ever cared that much about the magical creatures in the wizarding world. They've never been a real hook.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ViewerAnon said:

Is it? Nobody seemed terribly excited for FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM until that last trailer which was designed around all the Harry Potter connections.

I don't think audiences have ever cared that much about the magical creatures in the wizarding world. They've never been a real hook.

I remember lots of people being excited for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, there was also the fact that it had been a 5+ year gap since any major HP material had been released and so it had a curiosity factor added to it as well.

And yes, magic creatures alone aren't a huge hook just like people didn't go see the Indiana Jones movies or Infinity War specifically for the macguffins, they went because they wanted to see a bombastic adventure story with some heart and that concept is what this series needs to embrace. This franchise should take a cue from the How to Train Your Dragon series, that's how you do stories revolving around magical creatures.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ViewerAnon said:

I would personally argue that they were likely more of a hook than the relatively obscure Harry Potter lore stuff, at least when it came to the friends and relatives I have who aren't movie buffs and only go to the cinema once in a while. 

I'm not suggesting that it was only the magical creature angle, but rather that and a combination of other factors like the more lighthearted angle, less of a need to be familiar with deep-cut Potter continuity, and antics in magical 1920s New York.

Again, just going off my experience in the cinemas, most of the audience, especially the kids, really loved all the cool stuff with the magical suitcase and the animals causing mayhem. Lots of laughter, oohs and ahs etc.

But whenever it cut to the Credence and Grindlewald stuff, it became dead silent and I could literally hear people shifting aimlessly in their seats waiting for the fun stuff to come back on screen. 

Plus, Crimes of Grindelwald's whole campaign was way more Potter centric and look how that turned out.

If they want to tell the Dumbledore and Grindlewald story, fine. But by crowbarring Newt and the Fantastic Beasts into these it, they are simply harming both story strands. imo.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TerwillikerInst said:

The reason the first movie made over $800 million was because it was sold as "comic misadventures with cute fantasy animals set loose in 1920s New York City". Jumanji meets Harry Potter meets the Jazz era. 

The fact that JK and WB seem to acting like the bit everybody actually got hyped for was the grim dark pointless backstory centred around a piece of Harry Potter lore, is mind boggling to me. 

It's a horrific miscalculation made worse by the fact that they've doubled and tripled down on the backstory stuff, even though they are well aware that nobody actually wants it. 

And I know they're well aware of this because they keep calling these movies Fantastic Beasts and shoving Newt, the creatures, and exotic locales in, because that's what the audience actually likes. 

That's absolutely not true. The vast majority want the story to focus on Grindelwald/Dumbledore. Not even close. Rowling just put herself in a sticky place by not waiting to finish the 3 FB films first.

The FB films should have been a trilogy where its themes about nature preservation, animal rights, etc should have been in the focus and could have been so damn fun ala the Uncharted games (VERY weird comparison but if you guys have played it, you know what I mean). 

Grindelwald and Dumbledore should have been its own epic. THAT'S the story people are more interested in seeing. 

59 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Grindelwald and Dumbledore should have been its own epic. THAT'S the story people are more interested in seeing. 

TBH regardless what story they want to tell the writing has to be solid, and thus far it's ranged from okay to bad. Too much going on and a lack of good characterization has put this series thus far at a disadvantage.

Honestly I kind of wished these movies were just about Queenie and Jacob than all this Beasts or Grindelwald/Dumbledore nonsense. They're the only thing in the first movie that was truly interesting and compelling for me and a 5-movie series about a kindly baker trying to make his own business while falling in love with a young witch is just...too pure. Would have won all the Oscars.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

Honestly I kind of wished these movies were just about Queenie and Jacob than all this Beasts or Grindelwald/Dumbledore nonsense. They're the only thing in the first movie that was truly interesting and compelling for me and a 5-movie series about a kindly baker trying to make his own business while falling in love with a young witch is just...too pure. Would have won all the Oscars.

Did you not watch what happened to them in the second movie?

7 hours ago, Noctis said:

Yep this should have been a straight up prequel about young Dumbledore and Grindelwald instead of Eddie Redcarpet. I honestly don't know why they didn't just do it that way since they were bound to touch upon it given the timeline. What a mess.

That summary sounds pretty uninteresting to me. 

Spoiler

Dumbledore and Newt making political negotiations to stop Grindelwald from getting elected? The last film seemed to be setting up all-out war. I don't think many people would be interested in this, and the series has lost most people's interest as it is. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Menor said:

That leaked plot sounds pretty uninteresting to me. 

Reveal hidden contents

Where can I read these leaks?