CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

24 minutes ago, Menor said:

That leaked plot sounds pretty uninteresting to me. 

Reveal hidden contents

I remember someone said during the release of FB2 that JKL didn't want to do anything but personal political expression with this franchise. This leaked plot is fit with the view.

8 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I remember someone said during the release of FB2 that JKL didn't want to do anything but personal political expression with this franchise. This leaked plot is fit with the view.

Just to clarify I meant the summary that Napoleon posted earlier. Not an actual leaked plot. But yeah the summary sounds somewhat like that to me.

Spoiler

I guess it's possible that "Dumbledore and Newt try to stop Grindelwald from getting elected" is executed a lot more entertainingly than it sounds, but it's just not an enticing hook to me at all. 

Edited by Menor

4 hours ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

Honey, I'm trying to forget that monstrosity of a subplot whenever I can. It's honestly disgusting how dirty they were treated in Beasts 2

The idea of Queenie transitioning to Grindelwald's side actually makes a lot of sense but its problem was the execution.

1. Why on earth have her drug him?! Show them madly in love but that her relationship put everyone in danger, including Jacob and Tina. Show the ramifications of that against a backdrop of an increasingly bigoted world.

2. Her leaving Jacob should have been after all that pressure because he refused to marry her, and being upset with Tina for not being supportive. The two people she loves the most not aligning with her world views is great reason for someone to be pushed into Grindelwald's arms.

3. After she leaves, she should have had multiple scenes with Grindelwald...not just one. Use Queenie as a way to see that while he does manipulate, the essence of wanting freedom is shared and not a lie.

Such wasted potential.

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

Honey, I'm trying to forget that monstrosity of a subplot whenever I can. It's honestly disgusting how dirty they were treated in Beasts 2

I do find it amusing how Wonder Woman 1984 pulled kinda the same nonsense with bringing back Steve Trevor but in the most over complicated way instead of just simply having the character come back without the unfortunate implications with the magic involved.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Menor said:

Just to clarify I meant the summary that Napoleon posted earlier. Not an actual leaked plot. But yeah the summary sounds somewhat like that to me.

Hide contents

I guess it's possible that "Dumbledore and Newt try to stop Grindelwald from getting elected" is executed a lot more entertainingly than it sounds, but it's just not an enticing hook to me at all. 

Yeah, I agree the plot is not all that enticing, seems like a plot more interesting to Rowling than to a general audience. I'm sure there will be some magical fights and small bits of humor but this series is taking itself way too damn seriously.

With a title like "Fantastic Beasts" I would expect things to be a bit more....fantastical? I get this is supposed to be urban fantasy and some political/social commentary is to be expected but they're focusing too much on the urban aspect instead of embracing the fantasy angle more. Any blockbuster needs to have a good balance of seriousness and fun and they've not yet achieved that here.

Edited by Gazer365

Apparently some more information of the plot has leaked on twitter, which Viewer Anon also corroborated.

Spoiler

Spoiler

If any of this is true then I'm really disappointed. I'm getting really tired of big blockbuster movies/television putting so much emphasis on a characters genealogy, it's not really interesting to a general audience member wanting to see a big fantasy movie.

Edited by clockwork

2 minutes ago, clockwork said:

Apparently some more information of the plot has leaked on twitter, which Viewer Anon also corroborated.

Hide contents

Hide contents

If any of this is true then I'm really disappointed. I'm getting really tired of big blockbuster movies/television putting so much emphasis on a characters genealogy, it's not really interesting to a general audience member wanting to see a big fantasy movie.

This was pretty much expected given the ending of the last movie though right? Not the specifics I mean but it was clearly leaning hard into a pointless lineage subplot.

Edited by Menor

31 minutes ago, Menor said:

This was pretty much expected given the ending of the last movie though right? Not the specifics I mean but it was clearly leaning hard into a pointless lineage subplot.

Yeah I'm not surprised they're continuing with that subplot, but that whole 5 minute flashback exposition scene explaining Credence's backstory was one of the worst parts of the last movie from both a writing and entertainment standpoint.

Unless you're a really really hardcore Potter fan who likes connecting the dots then I can't see most others caring much about who that character is related to. Out of all the characters in this series Credence is the one I care the least about, just a nothing character really and that's a fault of the lackluster writing that's been given to these movies thus far.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, clockwork said:

Out of all the characters in this series Credence is the one I care the least about

That's true for me as well. I was so glad that this part seemed to be done and over with at the end of the first movie, only for it to return and take center stage in part two...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, clockwork said:

Out of all the characters in this series Credence is the one I care the least about, just a nothing character really and that's a fault of the lackluster writing that's been given to these movies thus far.

Definitely agree. Big mistake bringing the character back AND making him a Dumbledore. Just ridiculous.

On 7/3/2021 at 4:07 AM, clockwork said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

Ok, what is the point in that? By making him blood? 

Credence should have been a Dumbledore only by name because he has Ariana's Obscurial within him. NOT him actually being the son of fucking Aberforth. And why was he sent away? Lots of people being sent away on fucking ships.

Credence had huge potential as a character if it were Ariana's Obscurial within him (which is technically still possible and has a decent chance at happening) and leave it at that. WHY make him a true Dumbledore? Such a waste. I'm sure Rowling will explain if Ariana's Obscurial is in him, then it latched itself only because he's a Dumbledore.

Using him as a weapon against Dumbledore because it would essentially mean him fighting his sister could have been epic...and that might still happen but WHY THE FUCK IS HE A TRUE DUMBLEDORE.

Edited by Noctis

So they're basically doubling down on everything people hated about the last movie instead of just shelving this flaccid series and repurposing the Dumbledore v. Grindenwald duel as an HBO Max original?

Didn't expect anything less from a bigoted hack like Rowling. It'll be interesting to see the reactions when this mess bombs Dark Phoenix-style. With any other studio, the franchise would've been fridged after that, but with a stubborn mule like Rowling at the helm, who knows what's coming?

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

So they're basically doubling down on everything people hated about the last movie instead of just shelving this flaccid series and repurposing the Dumbledore v. Grindenwald duel as an HBO Max original?

Didn't expect anything less from a bigoted hack like Rowling. It'll be interesting to see the reactions when this mess bombs Dark Phoenix-style. With any other studio, the franchise would've been fridged after that, but with a stubborn mule like Rowling at the helm, who knows what's coming?

Honestly wouldn't have minded if they literally had FB3 as solely a Newt, Tina, Queenie, and Jacob adventure that ended their stories and then start a new series whether for the TV or movies focusing on Grindelwald/Dumbledore - they could even use Law and Mikkelsen. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Noctis said:

Honestly wouldn't have minded if they literally had FB3 as solely a Newt, Tina, Queenie, and Jacob adventure that ended their stories and then start a new series whether for the TV or movies focusing on Grindelwald/Dumbledore - they could even use Law and Mikkelsen. 

Jacob and Queenie are the representation of the union between muggles and wizards in a time when this was not allowed and Tina is an auror. The stories are not separate, it's a war with two sides, it doesn't make sense to have only Dumbledore vs Grindelwald in the story, a war is not made of two people.

The truth is diehard fans care more about the history of the Wizarding World and general audiences just want great stories and characters, and Rowling did a terrible job combining those elements in Crimes Of Grindelwald. I feel like the HP fans are bored at Newt and the casual audiences bored at young Dumbledore, Nagini and stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

based on what I am reading they are not even attempting to make any kind of course correction with this movie and it will just be another set up for the next one. This is going to bomb domestically so badly.

Opening a week after Black Panther 2 isn't going to help either.