CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

Walking a thin line here but only Twitter is pissed at Rowling. These film didn't/ won't flop because of what she said but because noone cares about the story.

And it seems they haven't learnt from past mistakes. I won't even go into another rant that this should have been a Dumbledore/Grindewald story from the get go (hell what is even the point of the first movie and all these new characters if eventually we are heading to the first wizarding war?) but surely they will cut Tina's screen time, Kill off Leta(the one interesting  new character) but keep fucking Jared? And his unnecessary love story with Tina's sister? Who the hell wants to see that?

In any case, of all these new characters only Credence seems to be playing a bigger part to what really matters and this still needs to be explained. The rest? Could never exist and would hardly make a difference. Rowling just went crazy with all these characters.

Plus, it's time to let Yates go.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I won't even go into another rant that this should have been a Dumbledore/Grindewald story from the get go (hell what is even the point of the first movie and all these new characters if eventually we are heading to the first wizarding war?) but surely they will cut Tina's screen time, Kill off Leta(the one interesting  new character) but keep fucking Jared? And his unnecessary love story with Tina's sister? Who the hell wants to see that?

Exactly right on many counts, the first movie worked fine as a stand alone spin-off but then they decided to bring all those characters back in the sequel in such oddly contrived ways and still keeping the title as "Fantastic Beasts" even though these movies have underutilized the concept thus far.

16 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Plus, it's time to let Yates go.

Past time. He's a competent director but that last movie definitely puts his abilities into question. I know it's not entirely the directors fault if a script isn't great but they still have a responsibility to make sure everything and everybody is working at the top of their game. Either he's is/was unwilling to challenge Rowling's ideas or he's just drank too much of the kool-aid and genuinely believes all her ideas are great.

51 minutes ago, Rogerio said:

It seems the movie was indeed screened again, with a lot of new scenes (including Rio de Janeiro)

Where did someone post details? I'm trying to verify. The trouble is so much leaked from the Irvine screening that someone could easily mix in BS with real spoilers that are out there.

29 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Any idea if it went better or similar?

No   =[

I just saw that information on twitter; it was from a Brazilian fan page, they are REALLY reliable (but who knows.. people can lie to them, that´s not impossible)..

and I didn´t see that information anywhere else..

But you know.. after the reaction from the first screening, the movie looked so boring; and based on interviews, it doens´t seem the case.. it seems this time we´ll have more action and adventure (doesn´t mean it will be great, but don´t believe it will be boring as Crimes).

I really think it´s possible they screened the political part on the first screening (Germany) and maybe something more adventurous this time (Brazil)

Just now, ViewerAnon said:

Where did someone post details? I'm trying to verify. The trouble is so much leaked from the Irvine screening that someone could easily mix in BS with real spoilers that are out there.

It´s from @siteanimagos

They are the best from Brazil.. I´m pretty sure they didn´t lie, but maybe their source did.

They didn´t give any spoilers..

last time (the other screening), they talked to someone who saw the movie.. they didn´t want to give any spoilers, but when I was talking to them, they told me the guy who saw the movie liked it, but he had the impression it was incomplete ..

this time, the only things they said was:

the movie was screened again

it has a different content

Brazil is in it

13 minutes ago, Rogerio said:

But you know.. after the reaction from the first screening, the movie looked so boring; and based on interviews, it doens´t seem the case.. it seems this time we´ll have more action and adventure (doesn´t mean it will be great, but don´t believe it will be boring as Crimes).

I really think it´s possible they screened the political part on the first screening (Germany) and maybe something more adventurous this time (Brazil)

If any of this is true it sounds like they're still trying to do two things at once instead of just picking one story and overall tone and sticking with it. I'd love for these to be pure adventure movies about catching a/multiple magical creatures but the cutting back and fourth between that and grimdark urban fantasy political drama is part of what bogged down the last movie and to some extent the first one.

Edited by Gazer365

1 minute ago, Gazer365 said:

If any of this is true it sounds like they're still trying to do two things at once instead of just picking one story and overall tone and sticking with it. I'd love for these to be pure adventure movies about catching a/multiple magical creatures but the cutting back and fourth between that and grimdark urban fantasy political drama is what bogged down the last movie and to some extent the first one.

Yes, definitely..

depending on the reactions of that other screening (if it really was screened), they should just focus on that adventurous tone 

2 hours ago, Noctis said:

David Yates is officially done with the franchise...seems like he's going to do an original film at Sony. 

This series needs new blood...it's too enormous.

I just read the news, apparently Warner Brothers told him they will be taking a "break" between this third movie and the fourth one, which is a weird thing to say to a director, and also weird considering how long the gap between FB2 and FB3 currently is.

To me this could mean multiple things, they're seriously unsure whether to continue with a remaining two movies pending the response to this third one or they're thinking about outright cancelling them or they are considering making drastic creative changes behind the scenes, maybe even trying to ease control away from Rowling/making her an offer to buy the HP rights from her?

It is interesting to read about this and the other day reading about how Denis Villeneuve is taking about how the sequel to the upcoming Dune movie may play out when the first one aint even come out yet and people on the internet have been constantly talking about how poorly Dune may do at the box office.

Edited by clockwork

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

I think they're ending the FB series. A 4th one may happen only if Rowling insists.

I'm not sure how much weight her "insisting" could/is gonna carry. I mean they fired Johnny Depp even though she specifically wanted him to play Grindelwald and stuck by him when people complained about the casting, and I doubt she was thrilled about WB decision to cut him lose last year.

Clearly they're willing to go over her head if they want, at the end of the day they're the ones paying for these to get made, not her, even though she has considerable control it's still their studio in which these films are being made at. Whether or not they make a 4th movie is 99.99% up to them, not her.

On 8/17/2021 at 8:45 PM, ViewerAnon said:

Saw your post on twitter 

so, another poor reception in the other screening ?

No hate to Yates, but him leaving is what gets me interested again in the franchise. As someone said above, it needs new blood ( or Alfonso Cuaron).

As for a possible 4th film, even if this fails completely, I think they should greenlight one just to wrap up the story (imo leaving it unfinished would be an even worse look for the brand). Worst case scenario, reduce the budget and make it a HBO Max original...just wrap it up.

6 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

No hate to Yates, but him leaving is what gets me interested again in the franchise. As someone said above, it needs new blood ( or Alfonso Cuaron).

As for a possible 4th film, even if this fails completely, I think they should greenlight one just to wrap up the story (imo leaving it unfinished would be an even worse look for the brand). Worst case scenario, reduce the budget and make it a HBO Max original...just wrap it up.

They should’ve used this movie to try and wrap things up. It was obvious after the second movie that making five of these wasn’t sustainable. 

• Like 1