CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

People who have been here years should know full well by now that WB will never ever "dump" a tentpole film to their biggest series ever worldwide. It's still a sequel to a $655m film. 

WB spent $150m+ on this film...there is no way they will ever dump it even IF they think it's going to do utterly disastrous numbers. Come on, guys, get fucking real. 

• Like 4

JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

“I just presented David Yates with the first six reels of Fantastic Beasts 3. So, I’ve been working on the material I just showed him for four months, so it wasn’t like, ‘Oh, I started the movie last week, here’s my first ideas’, no. These are ideas that I have been shaping – close to two hours of music that I sent him – and there’s a whole bunch of notes, and it’s okay, I’m okay with that because how can you expect a director, who’s listening to a temp score for months in their movie to immediately embrace this brand new bunch of music from the composer. I mean, it’s just not human nature to be able to do that, so I expect, I won’t call it resistance, but I expect it to be a conversation. And David’s notes are extremely clear and I can’t argue with them because I get it, you know. It’ll be like, ‘Mm, you’re missing this point’, or, ‘You’re missing – this is a thread that really matters in the story. This is something that is, ultimately, the most important idea and I don’t feel like we’re really underscoring that in the way we should be’. So, you know, these kinds of things David, or any other director who really knows what they want to do, will point out things that I missed. As smart as I like to think I am, and as intuitive as I think I am, I need help.

I’m super excited about the Beasts movie, I think it’s by far the best one, it’s really good. Mads Mikkelsen is playing Grindelwald, he’s so great, and it’s just great. It’s full of magic, and scary stuff, and romantic – it’s just really fun.”

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rogerio said:

Honestly, I strongly believe this will be the best FB movie .. 

but I think people will watch the movie prepared to hate it, so the reception won’t be really good 

I believe that this movie will be a sizeable improvement over the last one, but my concerns still remain regarding them trying to mesh different premises that conflict with each other. Also I'm still not a huge fan of the creative team behind this, I wish they would get new people to work in franchise because it would really benefit from new perspectives.

Edited by clockwork

8 hours ago, Noctis said:

This movie's critical response will be hampered because of Rowling's views...guaranteed.

Absolutely. It's also just such a wasted franchise, IMO. As a big Harry Potter fan, I've been disappointed with 'Fantastic Beasts' since the first film. It doesn't know what it wants to be. I genuinely wish they would scrap it, and start fresh with a new movie/franchise or TV show. I'm not invested in this, anymore, and can't muster up much excitement. It's not a great feeling.

Peace,

Mike

17 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Absolutely. It's also just such a wasted franchise, IMO. As a big Harry Potter fan, I've been disappointed with 'Fantastic Beasts' since the first film. It doesn't know what it wants to be. I genuinely wish they would scrap it, and start fresh with a new movie/franchise or TV show. I'm not invested in this, anymore, and can't muster up much excitement. It's not a great feeling.

Peace,

Mike

Agreed. I genuinely don’t care about a single character, or the world which is weird for someone who LOVED the world-building in HP. 

6 hours ago, DAJK said:

Agreed. I genuinely don’t care about a single character, or the world which is weird for someone who LOVED the world-building in HP. 

I've seen you make similar comments before in this thread and I'm genuinely curious; what do you think is the reason you're not as invested in these movies as you were with the previous series? What is the disconnect for you? Is it because it's mostly adult main characters or are there other factors?

No issue with your opinion, just curious on your reasonings.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MikeQ said:

Peace,

Mike

Tbh even if they did scrap this and start of something I'm not sure I would be interested unless they brought in some new creative talents. I think one of the issues these movies have been having is that they've used pretty much the exact creative team the Potter movies had, and I can understand why Warner Brothers initially would've seen that as a benefit but now to me it feels like a detriment.

David Yates has been directing in the HP franchise for 10 years now, that's crazy when you think about. He did the last four Potter movies and now three Fantastic Beasts movies and it's starting to show that he has few tricks left up his sleeve or any real interest in taking risks.

And Rowling being directly involved in the writing process for these was a big mistake as well, she also has shown that her creative talents aren't as great as they once or were ever thought to be. At this point I'd rather she not be involved in anything Potter related and give control over to new talent, that would get me interested.

Edited by Gazer365

3 minutes ago, Gazer365 said:

Tbh even if they did scrap this and start of something I'm not sure I would be interested unless they brought in some new creative talents. I think one of the issues these movies have been having is that they've used pretty much the exact creative team the Potter movies had, and I can understand why Warner Brothers initially would've seen that as a benefit but now to me it feels like a detriment.

David Yates has been directing in the HP franchise for 10 years now, that's crazy when you think about. He did the last four Potter movies and now three Fantastic Beasts movies and it's starting to show that he has few tricks left up his sleeve or any real interest in taking risks.

And Rowling being directly involved in the writing process for these was a big mistake as well, she also has shown that her creative talents aren't as great as they once or were ever thought to be. At this point I'd rather she not be involved in anything Potter related and give control over to new talent, that would get me interested.

I think that's not going to happen anytime soon.

1 hour ago, clockwork said:

I've seen you make similar comments before in this thread and I'm genuinely curious; what do you think is the reason you're not as invested in these movies as you were with the previous series? What is the disconnect for you? Is it because it's mostly adult main characters or are there other factors?

No issue with your opinion, just curious on your reasonings.

Personally I just feel like none of the character arcs feel earned. Yes, I’m HP we got to grow with the characters, which is a novelty we don’t have with these movies. But there feels like such a disconnect between what the movies TELL me I should think/feel about a character, and what the movie actually EARNS.

For me it’s all about character with these movies. That’s where they falter. Plot and action is all fine and dandy, but they really haven’t nailed this key aspect yet.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2021 at 6:24 AM, Noctis said:

People who have been here years should know full well by now that WB will never ever "dump" a tentpole film to their biggest series ever worldwide. It's still a sequel to a $655m film. 

WB spent $150m+ on this film...there is no way they will ever dump it even IF they think it's going to do utterly disastrous numbers. Come on, guys, get fucking real. 

Warner Bros. to JK Rowling:

nicolas cage shrug GIF

Seriously though, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Warners only made this third entry because of some contractual agreement with Rowling over the series, i.e. they guaranteed her they'd make at least three of these pics, even if they don't make all five.  And I surely don't think they will, unless this one turns out to be a surprise comeback success...it's not unprecedented...but would be very surprising.  The goose was cooked on Fantastic Beasts with the mess of the second film, and Depp's huge issues sunk any leftover momentum.  I respect Mads for even taking this role and being so diplomatic about the whole thing in the press so far.  

18 hours ago, DAJK said:

Personally I just feel like none of the character arcs feel earned. Yes, I’m HP we got to grow with the characters, which is a novelty we don’t have with these movies. But there feels like such a disconnect between what the movies TELL me I should think/feel about a character, and what the movie actually EARNS.

For me it’s all about character with these movies. That’s where they falter. Plot and action is all fine and dandy, but they really haven’t nailed this key aspect yet.

I agree in that I think the characters have been written rather flatly thus far in these movies, which is weird because Rowling was able to write good characters in the previous series. And I've seen people who are like "well maybe these would be better if they had been written as books first" and to them I'd say that's not really a relevant criticism or excuse for lackluster writing in the movies.

You're also right in that all stories at the end of the day are about the characters, and characters are what drive the plot. In these movies the characters feel like their being dragged along by the plot instead of having good motivations to act.

16 hours ago, Macleod said:

Seriously though, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Warners only made this third entry because of some contractual agreement with Rowling over the series, i.e. they guaranteed her they'd make at least three of these pics, even if they don't make all five.  And I surely don't think they will, unless this one turns out to be a surprise comeback success...it's not unprecedented...but would be very surprising.  The goose was cooked on Fantastic Beasts with the mess of the second film, and Depp's huge issues sunk any leftover momentum.  I respect Mads for even taking this role and being so diplomatic about the whole thing in the press so far.  

WB had to scramble and to find a replacement after they dumped Depp and were lucky that Mikkelsen was available and needed a job. Mikkelson is a professional and has a good head on his shoulders so he's not gonna get involved in any of that Depp or Rowling drama, he'll play the role and get his paycheck.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 2

Once the Fantastic Beasts series ends, there is no way they'll be bringing back the same creative team. The fact that the same director/producer, and even EDITOR for the last 15 years have been doing two separate series is insane. Yates is good, and even in CoG, he has some scenes with a lot of flair, but his time is up. He's tired.

Fantastic Beasts 3 should be his swan song for the Wizarding World universe. You've been incredibly committed and now it's time to bow out. I honestly believe WB knows that they need to shake things up.

I wouldn't mind having a Potter sequel but to me, it's whatever. I would rather they do HBO-series focusing on new characters (a Grindelwald/Dumbledore saga spanning a few series would have been phenomenal instead of the FB series). 

This universe is enormous. It has unbelievable potential but WB needs to shake things up. Also, Rowling can and should be involved - but in a different way. She should not be screenwriting whatsoever. What she should be doing is give the writers the general story and characters, but the execution should be done by them.

A few of you guys are not correct IMO when you say Rowling doesn't have a story worth telling. Her story in CoG had the potential to be fantastic and the best in the entire WW but the execution was the sin. 

Queenie joining Grindelwald's side because she's being denied a marriage with a No-Maj? Fantastic idea...so why make their fight because of a love potion when it could have been so much deeper? Why did the director focus on Kama's backstory and cut out two scenes between Queenie/Grindelwald? Why is Credence not assertive whatsoever? Etc etc

So many issues that could have been cleared up and revitalised a film tremendously but the issue was following Rowling's screenplay without any pushback. 

I just hope that FB3, if it ends up being the last film in the series, has a proper ending. I trust her vision and the characters she creates...she just needs someone to make it good for a film/TV setting. She clearly writes her screenplays as books. 

• Like 1