CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

I do believe a huge mistake in the film was killing Leta Lestrange - a character most people enjoyed. Her being a prisoner and having a longer story arc would have been more interesting. At this point, they are going to REALLY have to make Credence more interesting. And the only way to do that is by making him become more independent/powerful as well as hopefully making his Obscurial the one of Ariana's - it would make for great conflict with Dumbledore. 

But we'll see. I'm VERY curious as to how they're going to handle the time gap. The end of the second film was in 1927...the next three films have to take place between 1927 and 1945. 

6 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

This needs a minuscule budget for a tentpole in order to not be a guaranteed money loser for WB. Like it literally can’t be going much above 100 before marketing costs. 

They can't make it for less than $150m probably, audiences expect big visual effects from these films. Even the third Narnia movie cost $150m.

Edited by Hunch

9 minutes ago, Hunch said:

They can't make it for less than $150m probably, audiences expect big visual effects from these films. Even the third Narnia movie cost $150m.

Probably so, but I bet a loss is likely at that budget by the time they add marketing. This thing could very easily miss 100 DOM. Another big drop OS like it had from the first, and they're in the red even at a $150m budget. 

Filming was originally supposed to begin later this fall, but then about a month ago WB announced that filming wont begin until spring of next year.  There seems to be some attempt of trying to get their shit together after the disappointment of the 2nd movie, we might hear some casting announcements later this year but no major movements will be made for now.

Edited by Gazer365

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Yeah, wasn't this spin-off series Tsujihara's idea? WB just got a new CEO, maybe she'll put this on ice?

It was Tsujihara's idea and now that he's gone this series wont be as high as a priority as he made it to be at the studio, but I highly doubt WB would just cancel this series outright because of a misstep. Course correction/change is possible, you don't have to like it but it can certainly be done. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

They need to make the next one the finale. It will pull an Allegient if it’s another “nothing happens/set up” movie 

They could do that, or they could just make the next one a complete stand alone story with minimal ties to the whole grindelwald thing. I think it would be best if these movies just switched to telling little mini adventures in the wizarding world similar in some vein to what the first movie did. Point is, if the story direction doesn't change quickly things wont bode well for these movies.

The only think worth watching in this movie could be the much hyped D vs G battle. But for that they would have to jump two movies worth of initially planned timeline. Or they could make it in non-chronological order and if it makes a lot of money make a 4th one.

After seeing how mishandled the second movie was I'm just curious on an observational level how they're going to continue with this series. I feel like any franchise that survives past 10 years can experience growing pains, especially when new content comes out. Maybe some new creatives can rejuvenate the magic. 

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:41 PM, Noctis said:

I do believe a huge mistake in the film was killing Leta Lestrange - a character most people enjoyed. Her being a prisoner and having a longer story arc would have been more interesting. At this point, they are going to REALLY have to make Credence more interesting. And the only way to do that is by making him become more independent/powerful as well as hopefully making his Obscurial the one of Ariana's - it would make for great conflict with Dumbledore. 

But we'll see. I'm VERY curious as to how they're going to handle the time gap. The end of the second film was in 1927...the next three films have to take place between 1927 and 1945. 

That is if it goes the full five films...which it in serious doubt at this time.

And  no way they can just ignore World War 2 in this series.......

23 hours ago, DAJK said:

Couldn't care less about this movie, coming from a HP fan since he was 5 years old 😕 

It just shows how hard it can be to capture lighting in a jar twice..even if the original author is in charge. THe prequels are just not as good as the  originals Potter stories. That Rowling is not a good screenwriter probably had a lot to do with that. The spinoff might have been the ex Warner's ceo's idea, but no one held a gun to Rowling head to make her sign on.

In 1966, after the LOTR had become a huge if long delayed success, Tolkien considered a sequel to LOTR but soon gave it up, saying at best it would only be an adventure story,and not worth doing. He decided he had pretty much said everything he wanted to say about  that period of Middle Earth history and instead would concentrate at getting the Simrallion into publishable form.

Edited by dudalb