CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

1 minute ago, AJG said:

That last movie collapsed at the BO and the pandemic has ensured that the POTC franchise won't ever see a billion again.

As if people can stomach Depp's annoying shit anymore. He was insufferable in the later PoTC movies.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AJG said:

That last movie collapsed at the BO and the pandemic has ensured that the POTC franchise won't ever see a billion again.

Disagree. Specially today, when IP rules hard,If you think the POTC won't return, I really have no word for you other than delusional.

Edited by ImNotRacistAtAll

14 minutes ago, Noctis said:

but lacks much of the magic that drew audiences into the wizarding world many movies ago.

That is such a vague objection. It often comes up in reviews, but I have no idea what each reviewer specifically means because every reader brings their own definitions to the word "magical". 

That being said this is hardly the most common issue in those reviews?  

Can take a pitstop and compare it to the first two films at 45 reviews in.

Secrets of Dumbledore

62%, 5.9/10, 28 fresh

Crimes of Grindelwald

60%, 6.4/10, 27 fresh

Where to Find Them

89%, 7.3/10, 40 fresh

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ImNotRacistAtAll said:

Disagree. Specially today, when IP rules hard,If you think the POTC won't return, I really have no word for you other than delusional.

It might return straight to streaming, but the time where still like POTC and Transformers could still hit a billion is over. 

It's funny to me that both this movie and Sonic 2 may end up getting  the exact same RT score, hell I'll be bold and say I could see this going up a few more percentages when more reviews come in.

Lets not forget that Crimes of Grindelwald got a score in the mid 30s, so this movie getting over a fresh score is a sign of progress, maybe not huge progress but it still counts for something. I figure the audience score will be in the 80s and 90s which will help this film have better legs than people have been expecting. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Secrets of Dumbledore

62%, 5.9/10, 28 fresh

Crimes of Grindelwald

60%, 6.4/10, 27 fresh

Where to Find Them

89%, 7.3/10, 40 fresh

When you put it like that...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, clockwork said:

It's funny to me that both this movie and Sonic 2 may end up getting  the exact same RT score, hell I'll be bold and say I could see this going up a few more percentages when more reviews come in.

Lets not forget that Crimes of Grindelwald got a score in the mid 30s, so this movie getting over a fresh score is a sign of progress, maybe not huge progress but it still counts for something. I figure the audience score will be in the 80s and 90s which will help this film have better legs than people have been expecting. 

Audience sentiment will be better than the last film, but the people that checked-out from this franchise after the second film will certainly not be back for this one, even if reviews were stellar. $110m-$130m domestic.

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

It might return straight to streaming, but the time where still like POTC and Transformers could still hit a billion is over. 

Streaming? Bruh. You don't believe that. This is a huge franchise. The last didn't make a billion because it was awful. Bad reviews and word of mouth killed it. 

With a moderate budget (120-150) a new one could do huge business. We just don't know how well it would do today. I think it's highly unpredictable and Disney will never know if they don't try. 

In a world where Disney greenlights Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror or Space Mountain (which I think they are risks) a PTOC is just logical. It's naive to think otherwise imo. 

It's just a matter of WHEN imo. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, clockwork said:

Secrets has better reviews than Sonic especially in average rating.

If audience reactions are better I think some of the later reviews may reflect that. Some critics are very influenced by the overall consensus on social media. 

This movie is still doing ok considering how toxic this whole franchise became and how hated the last movie was.

• Like 4

I will say, that after the huge controversies of Rowling/Depp/Ezra and the reaction to Crimes...things could have gone a lot worse. 

How ironic that this movie is the first major blockbuster to have a gay protagonist...and also a gay antagonist. 

I'm confident that Secrets will end up being the gem of this series and one that fans will look back fondly on in the future. 

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

I'm confident that Secrets will end up being the gem of this series and one that fans will look back fondly on in the future. 

Nah, that will be the inevitable Niffler origin movie.

35 minutes ago, AJG said:

Audience sentiment will be better than the last film, but the people that checked-out from this franchise after the second film will certainly not be back for this one, even if reviews were stellar. $110m-$130m domestic.

Even with decent reviews, my prediction has always been $115m. This movie had an insane uphill battle to climb.

• Like 1

Potter, like some of the other greats of the 2000s (POTC, LOTR) should probably have been left there. I know we live in an IP world these days, but that doesn't mean beating these franchises to death is a good thing. Dreamworks not making anymore Shrek movies after the fourth one was a wise move.

My prediction has always been: 

52M OW

145M Domestic 

425M International 

575M World Wide 

It’d be the lowest grossing WW film, suffering from the sins of its predecessor, but still make a profit for WB, which means they’d be able to continue the series 

Edited by El Gato

9 hours ago, grim22 said:

Five?

Maybe 2 at most. A series set at Hogwarts maybe a few years before Harry shows up. That way they can have the locations and characters people remember without any wizarding war either coming up soon or having just ended. 

James, Sirius, Lily, Lupin, Snape at Hogwarts, we see how James and Lily started dating, after Hogwarts they join the Order of The Phoenix, Lily and James get married, Dumbledore hears the prophecy, Snape goes to Voldemort, Voldemort goes to Godric Hollows and the series ends where the books begin. Huge success right there

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

Secrets of Dumbledore

62%, 5.9/10, 28 fresh

Crimes of Grindelwald

60%, 6.4/10, 27 fresh

Where to Find Them

89%, 7.3/10, 40 fresh

expect the score to go down once for American critics see it