CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

10 hours ago, dudalb said:

Bottom line: Dumbledore cost 200 Million dollars which means it will have to do 400 million just to break even. That looka liks that will be a tough number for Warners to reach.

It will need $600m to break even with that production budget and a likely $100m marketing budget.

It will break even in home sales.

It will hit $400m. If it weren't for China's lockdown and Russia, it would have done $450m+ which is a lot more than many expected.

4 minutes ago, Noctis said:

It will need $600m to break even with that production budget and a likely $100m marketing budget.

It will break even in home sales.

It will hit $400m. If it weren't for China's lockdown and Russia, it would have done $450m+ which is a lot more than many expected.

Honestly I doubt most big movies released between 2020-2023 will be profitable. Even the ones we label as "successes".

Edited by AJG
  • Like 4

Did anyone think in hindsight that the trailers and official synopsis were too vague about what the movie was about? Just tossing out the question as it just occurred to me that basically nothing of the plot was revealed in the trailers apart from assembling the team (not a spoiler). I'm not saying they should reveal a lot, but maybe it would have been wise to suggest it's about

Spoiler

the election and the qilin since that's set up quite early in the movie anyway. And the qilin is a fantastic beast, and the beasts were just briefly featured in the trailers and may have appealed more to family audiences. 

I mean in most movies you know the premise of the plot when going in, meaning at least the first 15 minutes tend to be fairly predictable in that regard and personally I like knowing what kind of plot/premise I'm walking into, but then after knowing the premise I want the movie to surprise me. 

However, as a digression, when it comes to Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts it's a different matter personally. It's kind of fun not knowing much beforehand because I know the world and find that uncovering the plot is part of the fun. Thus purely from a selfish point of view I adored that the trailers didn't spoil me, but from a marketing POV I feel it may have been a mistake to cater to fans. That said the nostalgia bait was probably a good move.

What do you guys think? Could the film have fared better if they marketed it differently? 

Edited by TheBigYawn

I think 500M would greenlight a 4th movie. 500M is obviously not gonna happen but I think it was the magic number WB was looking for. The DOM OW was particularly weak.

On 4/18/2022 at 12:22 AM, WeThrones said:

All proposed ideas for other spinoffs don't sound that appealing to the general audience as well 

Like Howgarts founders? Who cares?

Maybe the first war against Voldemort. But Dumbledore-Grindelwald conflict looked like a great idea on paper as well.

The truth may be that people don’t care about the wizarding world, they only cared about Harry potter. But if so, it is a truth that WB will learn slowly and at great cost.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheBigYawn said:

Did anyone think in hindsight that the trailers and official synopsis were too vague about what the movie was about? Just tossing out the question as it just occurred to me that basically nothing of the plot was revealed in the trailers apart from assembling the team (not a spoiler). I'm not saying they should reveal a lot, but maybe it would have been wise to suggest it's about

Reveal hidden contents

I mean in most movies you know the premise of the plot when going in, meaning at least the first 15 minutes tend to be fairly predictable in that regard and personally I like knowing what kind of plot/premise I'm walking into, but then after knowing the premise I want the movie to surprise me. 

However, as a digression, when it comes to Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts it's a different matter personally. It's kind of fun not knowing much beforehand because I know the world and find that uncovering the plot is part of the fun. Thus purely from a selfish point of view I adored that the trailers didn't spoil me, but from a marketing POV I feel it may have been a mistake to cater to fans. That said the nostalgia bait was probably a good move.

What do you guys think? Could the film have fared better if they marketed it differently? 

I'm not sure it would have changed much. I don't know that "wizard election" stuff is any particular hook for audiences. 

• Like 1

85 for Dumbledore on RT.
Batman has 87, Lost City has 83, Morbius has 75. I find it far from being the announced disaster that some love to say. Audiences seem to like it better than critics.

450M$ seems Good for a 4th movie. 

Edited by Noiret Jak
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

I'm not sure it would have changed much. I don't know that "wizard election" stuff is any particular hook for audiences. 

People would have turned out in droves for the qilin, a creature with infamously high name recognition among western audiences.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Noiret Jak said:

85 for Dumbledore on RT.
Batman has 87, Lost City has 83, Morbius has 75. I find it far from being the announced disaster that some love to say. Audiences seem to like it better than critics.

450M$ seems Good for a 4th movie. 

The difference is WOM and factors for each. Batman had an A- CinemaScore while not amazing was solid enough for a blockbuster and while yes The Lost City had the same CinemaScore and slightly less strong WOM, for some genres it doesn’t hurt as much as a romantic comedy having a B+ is equal to an A for some films kind of like horror. WOM for Dumbledore seems middling to say the least though.

• Like 2

This was my post that got deleted:

I thought this was alright. Got better as it went on. Better than the 2nd, not as good as the 1st.

My problem with this movie (and I think a big reason for why it's not attracting audiences on top of the fact that the previous one was a disaster) is that after the Crimes of Grindelwald, this movie really needed to shake things up. And the plot is just as unfocused for like an hour and 30 minutes of its runtime as CoG was.

Spoiler

Once Newt rescues Theseus tho, I thought the movie genuinely got pretty good, and a solid 3rd act.

And I also really loved the very ending, with Dumbledore watching everyone at the wedding from afar. Felt perfectly sad and tragic. Jude Law was excellent.

Now I'm very curious about the future of this franchise. Obviously this one isn't doing very well, but if it can sniff $400m WW, I think WB will and should do one final movie about Dumbledore and Grindelwald's big fight. With the ending of this movie, it genuinely feels like this would be a fine spot to just stop the "Fantastic Beasts" series. It's obviously showing diminishing returns, so it would be good to ditch that title, but the ending of this film actually feels like a good end for these characters. Literally just call it Dumbledore vs Grindelwald or some shit, and I bet it would do better than this movie, kinda like what @TheBigYawn said. If they feel the need to, they can bring back Newt and some of the other recognizable characters from this series. I honestly think that's the way to go. Would love to hear your guys' thoughts.

Also, the niffler remains the MVP of this franchise.

Spoiler

That one scene of him and the green twig thing reaching for each other but the Niffler going for the coins was GOLD.

• Like 1

Fantastic Beasts 4: Dumbledore Vs Grindelwald

Fantastic Beasts 4: War of the Worlds

Spoiler

Yes from dinner in Berlin, it's magic until the end. I think the Creed part is really the weak pillar of the license.

Edited by Noiret Jak

My view that WB should start afresh with a new creative team is not because I think Yates, Kloves, Heyman etc are terrible but because they've been involved with the franchise for a long time and I would imagine Heyman being the main driver of the Potter films in the first place probably will remain producer but he needs to work with new blood to move the WW franchise franchise, 

I mean it may sound too simple but the best title for the next installment is probably Dumbledore: something 

Dumbledore: Rise of the Phoenix or whatever.

He is one the most iconic names from the original story, they used his name for a reason here, so if they want to rebrand the story and to finish it, that's the best option IMO.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Noctis said:

WoM for Secrets seems mostly positive among the diehards. 

this is my anecdotal evidence also. most feel it’s a big step up. 

i thought this was very interesting but work with a girl 5 years younger than me (im 33) who is a BIG potter fan. we talk potter a lot.  when i asked her yesterday her opinion of FB3 she said ‘oh that’s already out?’ i think it captured the real non-eventness of this series plus apathy even amongst fans (she said she really liked FB1). but then she said ‘i didn’t know new movies were coming out again from COVID’ which also really goes to show some peoples viewing habits, awareness, etc really may have changed permanently.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WeThrones said:

I mean it may sound too simple but the best title for the next installment is probably Dumbledore: something 

Dumbledore: Rise of the Phoenix or whatever.

He is one the most iconic names from the original story, they used his name for a reason here, so if they want to rebrand the story and to finish it, that's the best option IMO.

With a microscopic Fantastic Beasts title logo next to it to maintain the tradition of making it smaller and smaller.