CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

I know people are raging that the Qilin didn't bow to Jacob...my issue was that it obviously should have never bowed to Dumbledore (yet) but since Jacob was not magical, why didn't it bow to someone like Newt? 

• Like 2

Hey people, decided to pop back in after taking a little hiatus.  Just saw this on reddit, so apparently this is the final domestic total for the movie. Not all that good if we're being honest, but it made over 400 world wide so I guess that counts for something? It did better than Matrix Resurrections at least and ww total is about the same as Dune 2021 so it wasn't a complete wash.

It's really up to WB if they want to do another one, I could see it going either way tbh. If they make one more it sure as hell wont have a 200 mil budget, nor should it. Hell I'd say just stick it on HBO Max, have it be an exclusive. Netflix just shelled out 200 mil for Red Notice (even though they're going broke) so I could theoretically see other services/companies have a big budget movie premiere exclusively on one of their services, maybe once or twice a year. But I'm not a business man so idk how feasible that would be financially in the long run.

Edited by clockwork

14 hours ago, clockwork said:

Hey people, decided to pop back in after taking a little hiatus.  Just saw this on reddit, so apparently this is the final domestic total for the movie. Not all that good if we're being honest, but it made over 400 world wide so I guess that counts for something? It did better than Matrix Resurrections at least and ww total is about the same as Dune 2021 so it wasn't a complete wash.

It's really up to WB if they want to do another one, I could see it going either way tbh. If they make one more it sure as hell wont have a 200 mil budget, nor should it. Hell I'd say just stick it on HBO Max, have it be an exclusive. Netflix just shelled out 200 mil for Red Notice (even though they're going broke) so I could theoretically see other services/companies have a big budget movie premiere exclusively on one of their services, maybe once or twice a year. But I'm not a business man so idk how feasible that would be financially in the long run.

Another movie titled "Fantastic Beasts" will probably have a domestic gross lower than the first movies 74M opening.

I think the Fantastic Beasts franchise is done. I can see one Dumbledore vs Grindelwald movie sometime down the line but not immediately. No idea what the next installment of the wizarding world will be.

• Like 2

It overtook Uncharted, it's at 406M$ worldwide.

Maybe a chance to have one last movie with a reduced budget.

https://gadgets360.com/entertainment/news/jk-rowling-warner-bros-support-transphobic-harry-potter-tom-felton-3117639

"Warner Bros. has enjoyed a creative, productive and fulfilling partnership with J.K. Rowling for the past 20 years. She is one of the world’s most accomplished storytellers, and we are proud to be the studio to bring her vision, characters and stories to life now — and for decades to come. On Monday, a statement was issued by a third-party media agency that appeared contrary to this view. The statement was wholly wrong, and Warner Bros. Studio Tour London regrets it happened as part of a media event that day."

20 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Another movie titled "Fantastic Beasts" will probably have a domestic gross lower than the first movies 74M opening.

I think the Fantastic Beasts franchise is done. I can see one Dumbledore vs Grindelwald movie sometime down the line but not immediately. No idea what the next installment of the wizarding world will be.

They should just send any future wizarding world content to streaming for the foreseeable future, focus on building back some good will with the audience. If they want to make another movie then reduce the budget and just have it be an HBO Max exclusive. 

I know this is wishful thinking on my part, but maybe this movies underperformance will cause them to start making change on how they produce content for the HP franchise. It'd sure be nice to see other people besides Heyman, Yates, and Rowling coming up with new stories for this world.

Not cracking $100m is a real embarrassment that they won't want repeated for a flagship franchise like this, so I do think any HP content will be HBO in the foreseeable future until they can convince the OG trio to come back for Cursed Child (a la Force Awakens). 

21 hours ago, clockwork said:

Weren't Dune and Matrix on HBO Max the same day each opened theatrically? I thought Fantastic Beasts had a 45 window, no? If so, I don't think the comparison is entirely fair as, especially given the lukewarm WoM for FB3, it would've made even less domestically... I'd think at least 20M+ less DOM if there wasn't a theatrical window similar to Dune and Matrix. Dune and Matrix also opened in theaters at a worse time during the pandemic than Beasts did... Another disadvantage for each.

If FB3 can be a far better movie, let's say a 80% RT score with A cinemascore, the movie can actually leverage on relatively less competitive market (lack of event film) throughout first half of 2022 to rebuild their franchise. But it is not, FB3 is another example that the franchise is facing fatigue, both commercially and creatively. 

34 minutes ago, TheBigYawn said:

45 days after the premiere.

You're saying Dune and Matrix had a 45 day exclusively theatrical window? I could've swore neither did at least stateside. I know that Fantastic Beasts did though. Maybe you're saying what I'm saying and there's just some confusion here. 

From wikipedia...

On December 3, 2020, it was announced that the studio's entire 2021 film lineup would see a simultaneous theatrical release and a one-month limited release on the streaming service, starting with The Little Things on January 29.[73] Subsequent films released under the same-day theatrical/streaming window to date were Judas and the Black Messiah (February 12),[74][75] Tom and Jerry (February 26), Godzilla vs. Kong (March 31), Mortal Kombat (April 23), Those Who Wish Me Dead (May 14), The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (June 4), In the Heights (June 10), Space Jam: A New Legacy (July 16), The Suicide Squad (August 5), Reminiscence (August 20), Malignant (September 10), Cry Macho (September 17), The Many Saints of Newark (October 1), Dune (October 21), King Richard (November 19), and The Matrix Resurrections (December 22). Standard release windows applied to each film after their initial limited-run streaming release on the service; HBO Max would then reassume streaming rights to the aforementioned Warner Bros. films upon their respective pay television premieres on the linear HBO service in mid-to-late 2021 or 2022, depending on the scheduled start of their individual HBO exhibition agreements.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheBigYawn said:

45 days after the premiere.

Nope.  They were simultaneously on HBOMax for 30 days, then went away a bit, then came back.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

I definitely saw Dune OW at home. its so tragic a movie made for cinematic experience was available day 1 of streaming. Easily the worst decision made by WB execs. We still have not heard any change in plans from Zaslov and co for future movies. I hope they switch to at least 90 days for big movies. 

2 hours ago, Felipe said:

uOCd4rv.png

HBO Max is finally sharing data with Nielsen just in time to SOD debut week.

OT but TASM doing that well? Wow. I guess NWH really rubbed off on it.

I'll still argue that if SoD was the start of a Dumbledore/Grindelwald trilogy (with some obvious changes in the story since it would be the first), we would be in an insanely good position.

But, nevertheless...my favorite character got a great arc in this film and he was portrayed by the incredible Jude Law. He was insanely good in this. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 9:46 AM, grim22 said:

I get the impression that the head of Warners is very gung ho on a WW streaming TV series.

But yeah, the FB storyline is pretty much dead. It did the thimgs that will kill any franchise, underperformed or out and out lost money at the box office.