CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

49 minutes ago, Wormow said:

Wife beater Johnny Depp. JK Who? Fake ally Eddie Redmayne. Problematic Ezra Miller. The second movie was horrible and no one cares about how this franchise of FIVE (who asked for this?) movies ends.

This movie is literally D.O.A.

I predict they end up putting it on HBO Max, if it ever gets fully made, to minimize damage.

On 11/6/2020 at 10:42 PM, Brainbug said:

Honestly, no matter who playes Grindelwald in this film, it will still bomb.

The Crimes of Grindelwald was the most epically awfull franchise blockbuster since maybe The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Im a big Potterhead myself, but that film ... it was so bad. And beyond the pure quality and reception, the general storyline of these FB movies is also all over the place and like not engaging at all.

With Harry Potter, you had all of these extremely likable characters that went on journey after journey with one big, easy to understand goal in mind: Defeat Voldemort once and for all. What are these FB movies really about, what is the ultimate goal of the characters? Whoever you ask, youd probably get very different answers. And thats not good. This is all such a good example of why some movie franchises just dont need so many damn sequels.

IMO, Rowling wanted to do a trilogy of FB but mid-way through writing, got excited about Grindelwald and could not wait and shoehorned it in. It's so evident that these movies have two very polar stories awkwardly stitched together. A shame...if it were only a trilogy of FB, we would have been done by now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FB is a subpar series especially compared to HP. They shat the bed with casting and JKR needs an editor to tell her what works and what doesn't. Just wrap it up.

I expect that WB will try to get HP sequel off the ground eventually. Outside of Emma, nobody is in a great career shape so they'll appreciate the paycheck and we've seen that nostalgia can post huge numbers (TFA, Jurassic World, Cobra Kai show) when re-launching the series. They just have to be patient and wait for the right moment. HP is terribly missed but FB didn't quench the thirst.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

FB is a subpar series especially compared to HP. They shat the bed with casting and JKR needs an editor to tell her what works and what doesn't. Just wrap it up.

I expect that WB will try to get HP sequel off the ground eventually. Outside of Emma, nobody is in a great career shape so they'll appreciate the paycheck and we've seen that nostalgia can post huge numbers (TFA, Jurassic World, Cobra Kai show) when re-launching the series. They just have to be patient and wait for the right moment. HP is terribly missed but FB didn't quench the thirst.

That “19 years later” epilogue seems like it might make it difficult for them to do a TFA style sequel down the line. 

Honestly, anything HP-related has a little baggage on it right now as long as Rowling is still attached to the property. The company that's making the new HP video game coming out next year literally had to say "no, Rowling was not involved with the development of this project". 

She's has become a real liability and this is a rare occasion where I actually would be very glad to see some executive meddling and have them take over an IP. Rowling is not that precious, not anymore at least, make her an offer too good to pass up and take over the reins. Warner Brothers clearly wants to keep the HP IP up and running alongside their other properties so it's time to change things up, they had to do it with their DC stuff and can do it with these too, just have to put in some work.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, clockwork said:

Say it with me Warner Brothers....... "The remaining Fantastic Beasts series will finish out HBO Max"

Surely they’re going to rework this into being the last one? I know they wanted to make five of these, but there’s no way that’s happening now. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Surely they’re going to rework this into being the last one? I know they wanted to make five of these, but there’s no way that’s happening now. 

It can still happen, but a theatrical release for these movies is pretty much a fools errand at this point. Putting the possible remaining movies on HBO Max cAN save them some embarrassment and even if the next movies suck at least they wont have to read "FB Movie underpeforms/flops at box office" headlines from the trades.

Edited by clockwork

"The next Fantastic Beasts entry is described as a three-hander, with Depp, Jude Law and Eddie Redmayne sharing equal screen time."

Haha...no interest, regardless of who replaces Depp.  I liked the first movie a lot, but the second was already a mess.  This sounds like they're proceeding on the same path.