CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

10 hours ago, Alli said:

i predict they change the director

I have bad news for the haters, Yates has confirmed a few months back at a Q&A that he was indeed directing the third one and was working extensively with Rowling and Steve Kloves on the script. I'm tired of reading this nonsense, Yates has delivered for Warner Bros consistently, Rowling, Heyman love him, with good reason. TCOG got a mixed reception, that happens, there's no reason to replace him when all his HP films are not only fantastic (feel free to disagree, and yes the books are different, they're both complimentary), very well reviewed and made a lot of money, then Tarzan still made money despite mixed negative reviews (still a decent film), then FBAWTFT got an excellent reception, made a ton of money.

So yeah, there's absolutely no reason for it, I get the curiosity of seeing someone else's take on it but this is his, and that's that. I have no doubt the third film will be fantastic and whatever qualms folks had with TCOG will vanish once the whole picture is revealed by Jo.

Edited by TimmyRiggins

21 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I'm amazed they are still making this.

2nd film was horrible and so much worse than FB1 or any HP movie. My expectations are disastrous failure and a net loss.

The second movie made decent money, a disappointment but not a total flop (financially). If WB continued on with the DCEU after numerous failures than its not surprising they'd try and salvage these movies the best they can, there's still money to be made off these despite a lackluster second movie.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clockwork said:

The second movie made decent money, a disappointment but not a total flop (financially). If WB continued on with the DCEU after numerous failures than its not surprising they'd try and salvage these movies the best they can, there's still money to be made off these despite a lackluster second movie.

Foreign saved it. Horrible performance domestically and awful China Legs.

It made about 265m globally with a production budget alone of 200m. 

FB1 made about 340m off of 180m production costs. FB3 would be lucky to break even. The ending sucks and the plot was awful. I was so disappointed after loving every HP film and FB1.

20 hours ago, John Marston said:

Fantastic Beasts 2 was a lot like X men Apocalypse. Poor reviews and a gross in the 150m range domestically and 200m less than its predecessor worldwide 

Fantastic Beasts 3 - Dark Phoenix of the franchise?

Lol Except the Fantastic Beasts series doesn't have a plethora of weirdo fanboys who, despite the fact the second was a horrific waste of money, will defend and make up the most absurd excuses for it.

EDIT: I should have read the first post of this page before typing the above.

Edited by I Am

12 hours ago, Grand Moff said:

The writing needs to improve. The direction is okay to good.

Yates is not a bad director, but he is not a great one either. The term "Jouneyman" describes him very well. he probably won't deliver a disaster, but don't expect a lot of originality either.

IMHO "Prisoner of Akazaban" was the best Potter film. Alfred Cuaron directing it had a lot to do with that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

It'd be incredibly strange to kick Yates out of the franchise after one film disappoints for WB after delivering consistently for 10 years. 

At the same time, a new director would give the franchise a creative refresh. I think it's more likely they're bringing in a co-writer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonwo said:

At the same time, a new director would give the franchise a creative refresh. I think it's more likely they're bringing in a co-writer.

For the record, Yates did a workman like job on the Potter movies, his films was not nearly as creative as a couple of the previous directors, Cuaron in particular.

I surely hope Warner Brothers has realized their mistake of having Rowling directly writing scripts for these movies, they should have known better. They got marginally lucky with the first FB movie but that luck ran out a bit with the sequel. They gladly put "written by JK Rowling" on all the prior movies posters but now that seal of approval/involvement wont be enough to ease worries and secure sizable profits, and so changes are being made and we'll probably hear about those soon enough. I'm very curious to see things will go from here on. 

58 minutes ago, Gazer365 said:

I surely hope Warner Brothers has realized their mistake of having Rowling directly writing scripts for these movies, they should have known better. They got marginally lucky with the first FB movie but that luck ran out a bit with the sequel. They gladly put "written by JK Rowling" on all the prior movies posters but now that seal of approval/involvement wont be enough to ease worries and secure sizable profits, and so changes are being made and we'll probably hear about those soon enough. I'm very curious to see things will go from here on. 

hollywood will double down and we'll get "directed by JK Rowling" ;)

They should try to wrap up the story in the next film, but I suspect that will be hard because they really did think there was enough interest for five and she has a ridiculous story mapped out, and even if she tried, the central gist of it would have to be Credence and at this point no1curr about him, so it would make the film flop.

Edited by Hunch

Its annoying how Warner Brothers has mishandled their franchises lately. With this one in particular people wanted to blame it all on Rowling because she's the writer but WB should not have put her in that position in the first place. I think Kevin Tsujihara is also partly to blame for the lackluster of these movies thus far, as Rowling has credited him with getting the Fantastic Beasts franchise up and running in addition to getting her on board to directly write the scripts. I find it no strange coincidence that soon after he stepped down as CEO WB delayed the filming and moved the release date of the third movie to the tail end of 2021. Mistakes seemed to be getting corrected, hopefully the right ones.