CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

14 hours ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

They could just finish this series on HBO Max, dump this there and turn the last two movies into a miniseries 

How popular will HBO Max be? Because if it gets really popular then that might actually consider doing this. The Streaming Wars may prove beneficial for some franchises down the line if they play their cards right. 

I don’t mind FB:CoG. I loved Leta and Depp was fantastic. But there are huge problems as well. Main one being that they spent screen time on unnecessary things. The series would be better off focusing on Dumbledore/Grindewald and not freaking Kowalski and his love life.

Anyway, there are plenty of stories in the HP Universe that WB can tell and get people excited. Fans have been asking years for a marauders  and a Tom Riddle films. And the creation of Hogwarts would make a hell of a trilogy. It’s actually kind of surprising that no new HP projects were announced for HBO Max.

I think you'll be more likely to see a 1 or 2-part "Old Harry Potter Gang" return film first than any other spin-offs.  The relatively middling response to Fantastic Beasts only makes this more of a possibility.

And it's true that yes, Warners traditionally "doesn't like admitting defeat" publicly, but...I wouldn't be surprised at all if FB3 ended up as a post-COVID-19 casualty of diverting investments to other projects they have more confidence in.  They'll call it "economic decision making," but it will really be down to the fact that the second movie was so problematic that they had troubles in working out the rest...and during the extended shutdown, everyone might have simply lost whatever enthusiasm they had...

Edited by Macleod

Man, Rowling is really digging her hole deep right now. She just keeps talking and putting her foot in her mouth at every turn like so many people have been doing lately. This third movie is gonna have quite an uphill battle in regards to hype and pr now than ever before. I wouldn't be surprised if they do cancel this series, if not after the third one. And I was one of the few people on here who actually kinda liked these movies, but yeah, maybe it might need a mercy killing. We'll see. 

Edited by clockwork

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

they're not going to cancel a profitable blockbuster franchise because the writer is transphobic. 

more so because of diminishing returns a la the X-Men films, but JK Rowling's bad press doesn't help either

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, TMP said:

more so because of diminishing returns a la the X-Men films, but JK Rowling's bad press doesn't help either

Exactly, the second movie made decent money (650 million) but got poor reviews and bad word of mouth. Hype was already somewhat diminished for this third film already but with Rowling's foolishness it's putting even more stink on the brand at large. There's barely anyone rooting for these anymore, even someone like me who used to somewhat defend these. At this point they might have to just cancel it, or get someone besides Rowling to be involved with these.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Wonder if this franchise will ever go the Star Wars route and cut ties with its creator. Though I have little knowledge to how the film rights work and whether WB could ever make a Harry Potter 9 without JK Rowling. 

George Lucas sold Star Wars though if I remember correctly so I don't think he has any more rights to it, but many current star wars creators still go to him for his advice and opinions on their work. I believe WB has the film rights to Harry Potter, but Rowling must still have some creator rights which is why they let her be involved. But with recent events they might revoke some of her privileges for a while.

. But with recent events they might revoke some of her privileges for a while.

hasn't she always been a TERF?   if they remove her from the series I doubt it would because of what she does on twitter. 

if they want to change the creative team, they might as well replace David Yates with someone else. he directed too many of these and I'd like to see other people's takes on the HP universe.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

what did she do now. :kitschjob:

Same stuff. Different day. Twitter just tends to look the other way cause they love Harry Potter that much. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

if they want to change the creative team, they might as well replace David Yates with someone else. he directed too many of these and I'd like to see other people's takes on the HP universe.

I've been thinking the same thing for a while now. I get that David Yates is probably chill to work with but he has pretty much nothing new creative wise to offer this world anymore.  If they want the HP franchise to thrive they need to get bring some new people on to rejuvenate things. Things have to change.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cap said:

Same stuff. Different day. Twitter just tends to look the other way cause they love Harry Potter that much. 

Rowling has honestly done more damage to her reputation post Harry Potter than should be practically possible for anyone to do. The needless retcons, the refusal to take responsibility by just saying "I didn't think about inclusion at the time, I will do better going forward", and the transphobia.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2020 at 12:50 PM, Macleod said:

I think you'll be more likely to see a 1 or 2-part "Old Harry Potter Gang" return film first than any other spin-offs.  The relatively middling response to Fantastic Beasts only makes this more of a possibility.

And it's true that yes, Warners traditionally "doesn't like admitting defeat" publicly, but...I wouldn't be surprised at all if FB3 ended up as a post-COVID-19 casualty of diverting investments to other projects they have more confidence in.  They'll call it "economic decision making," but it will really be down to the fact that the second movie was so problematic that they had troubles in working out the rest...and during the extended shutdown, everyone might have simply lost whatever enthusiasm they had...

The lost revenue they have already suffered is going to create Cash Flow problems for all the major studios, and a lot of expensive projects are going to get a hard second look.

The downward trend in the series is bad sign, briging in Dumbeldore and other charecters from the Potter books did not quite pay off the way they thought.

Real problme is FB has just not grabbed people the way the Potter books and movies did.

• Like 3