CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

From what I understand, J.K. Rowling doesn’t want a Harry Potter 9, and since she has creative input on these movies, they would need to either persuade her, or straight up buy the rights to the entire franchise wholesale, just like when Disney bought Star Wars from George Lucas

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Nostalgia sells

Not always, play around too much with that old stuff and people will start to get bored and annoyed. Franchises already have a built in audience so it's should be less risky for them to try new things as they have people that will tune in no matter what. The MCU can pretty much do whatever it wants now which is why I was disappointed to hear they wouldn't let Scott Derickson make the Doctor Strange movie he wanted. Everybody will have to learn some new tricks at some point.

Edited by clockwork

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

From what I understand, J.K. Rowling doesn’t want a Harry Potter 9, and since she has creative input on these movies, they would need to either persuade her, or straight up buy the rights to the entire franchise wholesale, just like when Disney bought Star Wars from George Lucas

I also wouldn't be surprised if that is what happens -- that they buy the rights 100%. 

She'll take the money...and retire off to her trans-phobic beach life. 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

I don't see what's so exciting about Harry Potter 9. It'll never happen as long as Rowling has a say. The only reason we got that cringe-fest 19 years later epilogue was because she wanted to completely close the door on the main story and what happens next. And as much as I hated it, it was very smart on her part. A new movie with everyone being boringly married to their highschool sweethearts just wouldn't make sense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I don't see what's so exciting about Harry Potter 9. It'll never happen as long as Rowling has a say. The only reason we got that cringe-fest 19 years later epilogue was because she wanted to completely close the door on the main story and what happens next. And as much as I hated it, it was very smart on her part. A new movie with everyone being boringly married to their highschool sweethearts just wouldn't make sense.

Since it's a boxoffice forum, a lot of us are interested to see how this movie would do in the boxoffice. Might be the first film to break 2 billion that Disney doesn't have the rights to right now. I'd be more interested in seeing that than FB 3 doing a Dark Phoenix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Since it's a boxoffice forum, a lot of us are interested to see how this movie would do in the boxoffice. Might be the first film to break 2 billion that Disney doesn't have the rights to right now. I'd be more interested in seeing that than FB 3 doing a Dark Phoenix.

If the Harry Potter story ended before the epilogue I would agree. But that epilogue was placed specifically to take the air out of future sequels. The cast is now at the age that they would already be married with kids. If you wanna do a new movie about Harry, Ron and Ermione having a new life or death epic adventure you 'd have to decanonise the epilogue, which I don't how much it works since everyone has already watched or read how the story ends.

It's not the same with post-Return of the Jedi which was a blank slate. It's not even the same with the prequels where there was already an intriguing story to tell of what happened before the start of A New Hope.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joel M said:

If the Harry Potter story ended before the epilogue I would agree. But that epilogue was placed specifically to take the air out of future sequels. The cast is now at the age that they would already be married with kids. If you wanna do a new movie about Harry, Ron and Ermione having a new life or death epic adventure you 'd have to decanonise the epilogue, which I don't how much it works since everyone has already watched or read how the story ends.

It's not the same with post-Return of the Jedi which was a blank slate. It's not even the same with the prequels where there was already an intriguing story to tell of what happened before the start of A New Hope.

You keep the epilogue and have the story take place after it. That's what Cursed Child did.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

You keep the epilogue and have the story take place after it. That's what Cursed Child did.

Yeah, that's the only way it makes sense but the cast is still almost a decade to young for that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I'm pretty sure they'll have new characters and the old Harry Potter cast as supporting (but heavily marketed) like TFA and The Curse Child.

I like following the box office runs as much as the next person but I don't think I'll ever feel like "idc if one of my fav franchise gets ruined/milked for unnecessary sequels if it means it will break box office records"

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I like following the box office runs as much as the next person but I don't think I'll ever feel like "idc if one of my fav franchise gets ruined/milked for unnecessary sequels if it means it will break box office records"

Unecessary sequels that have great runs are better than unecessary prequels that flop hard.

Edited by lorddemaxus

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Unecessary sequels that have great runs are better than unecessary prequels that flop hard.

It'll be insanely hard to make a movie worse than Fantastic Beasts 2. Like, you'd have to actively try to make a bad film at that point

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Sequels, prequels, all that matters in the end is the story. Some people overestimate the value of nostalgia and some underestimate the value of taking risks and creating new stories. I've said it before many times here but I want new stories, maybe its because I didn't grow up with Harry Potter but I don't have much interest in exploring the lives of the characters we've seen in the books/movies, they had their time. Make new characters, diversify the casts, play around. Fantasy has nearly endless possibilities and opportunities, its time to take advantage of them.

• Like 1

I might be alone on this, but when HBO MAX was preparing to unveil its line-up last year, I read/heard suggestions of a TV series set in the Wizarding World, and I realised I would be all for one...as long as it's in Hogwarts. I'm not sure how other fans would feel about the series heading to TV, but Star Wars and the MCU have embraced it, so why can't this franchise? Whether it's set before the original series or afterwards, there's an intriguing universe worth exploring, but not in the way the Fantastic Beasts movies have as they lack one of the primary reasons for the books and the movies' success - the school setting. A key appeal of the story was that it made struggling with magic feel somewhat relatable through the resemblances to school life and having a whole generation of kids grow up along with the principle characters. You could easily replicate this in a TV show (Stranger Things already has honestly): introduce a new group of students, divert the focus away from the heroes of the previous saga but bring in some familiar faces if appropriate(preferably a few of the teachers), expand the lore without diminishing the stakes of the original story, and let a new generation of fans emerge who are attached to this new cast of characters. Only then should Warner Bros. consider the possibility of a 9th instalment, when interest in the series has been invigorated and enough time has elapsed since Deathly Hallows Part 2 for nostalgia to grow for the original cast and for the actors to consider reprising their roles, thereby leading to a scenario where you crossover the old (movies 1-8) with the new (a TV show).

• Thanks 1