CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

I guess while we’re on the subject of the J.K. Rowling controversy, I’ve been seeing more articles from people who’ve read her latest book, who have said that the controversy over it was indeed overblown, and that the book is not in fact about a transvestite or transgender serial killer.

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/501668-rowling-abuse-novel-transgender/

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, clockwork said:

So apparently now Mr Eddie Redmayne has stepped in the shit too and defended Rowling against the "abuse" she got online. And just a few months ago he disagreed with her, so now he's changing his tune. Bruh why would you open your mouth? all you had to do was not say anything. Just throw this franchise away at this point, the little tiny sliver of hope I had for these has faded away, and I kinda liked the first one. I hate being disappointed in people.

He said he has many 'trans friends and colleagues' who are 'having their human rights challenged around the world and facing discrimination on a daily basis'.

Though he disagreed with Rowling's comments on the issue, he was alarmed by the 'vitriol' hurled at her on social media, which he termed 'absolutely disgusting', and which prompted him to write her a private note.

However, Redmayne felt that the insults to trans people on social media is 'equally disgusting'.

He said: 'Similarly, there continues to be a hideous torrent of abuse towards trans people online and out in the world that is devastating.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8770819/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Eddie-Redmayne-ready-stand-rights-blistering-courtroom-drama.html

How is it bad to condemn abuse against her, while acknowledging the abuse against trans people? Or do you think #RIPJKRowling is ok? Do you people actually read anything or just go with clickbait headlines?

Edited by Felipe

32 minutes ago, Felipe said:

He said he has many 'trans friends and colleagues' who are 'having their human rights challenged around the world and facing discrimination on a daily basis'.

Though he disagreed with Rowling's comments on the issue, he was alarmed by the 'vitriol' hurled at her on social media, which he termed 'absolutely disgusting', and which prompted him to write her a private note.

However, Redmayne felt that the insults to trans people on social media is 'equally disgusting'.

He said: 'Similarly, there continues to be a hideous torrent of abuse towards trans people online and out in the world that is devastating.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8770819/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Eddie-Redmayne-ready-stand-rights-blistering-courtroom-drama.html

How is it bad to condemn abuse against her, while acknowledging the abuse against trans people? Or do you think #RIPJKRowling is ok? Do you people actually read anything or just go with clickbait headlines?

Because JK Rowling is taking part in the abuse against trans people. I don't give a flying shit if she has good points or whatever people defending Joanne have to say. By trying to discredit the movement, its beliefs, its people, and supporting an organization that is actively transphobic, JK Rowling is contributing to the consistent violence and discrimination trans people face on a daily basis solely for wanting to live their lives. Rowling's actions means she has blood on her hands, and Redmayne coming to her defense will only make things worse. And really, Redmayne having trans friends does not give him the right to defend transphobia or TERFs. That's the equivalent of the whole "I have a Black friend" defense used whenever somebody says something racist.

Obviously calling out Joanne isn't going to magically make transphobia go away. But her words have actions and repercussions, and if she's going to say stuff that's hurtful or perpetuates a stigma, she deserves to earn some backlash. And I know people here will read this and just go into the usual "wahhhhhhhhhhh Twitter! wahhhhhhhhh cancel culture!" whenever somebody calls out transphobia online. But really, JK Rowling's comments given to her are nothing to what trans people face, and she has to face her consequences, just like you and me. Her writing fantasy novels does not make her exempt.

And honestly, between a woman who has a net worth of at least $650 million and a minority group that sees one in four face an assault and employee discrimination, as well as one in five currently on the streets, all of which to say nothing about the endless amount of discrimination solely because people are feeling comfortable in the gender identity they feel most complete in...yeah, Joanne's backlash is nothing.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Eric #RIPChadwick said:

Because JK Rowling is taking part in the abuse against trans people. I don't give a flying shit if she has good points or whatever people defending Joanne have to say. By trying to discredit the movement, its beliefs, its people, and supporting an organization that is actively transphobic, JK Rowling is contributing to the consistent violence and discrimination trans people face on a daily basis solely for wanting to live their lives. Rowling's actions means she has blood on her hands, and Redmayne coming to her defense will only make things worse. And really, Redmayne having trans friends does not give him the right to defend transphobia or TERFs. That's the equivalent of the whole "I have a Black friend" defense used whenever somebody says something racist.

Obviously calling out Joanne isn't going to magically make transphobia go away. But her words have actions and repercussions, and if she's going to say stuff that's hurtful or perpetuates a stigma, she deserves to earn some backlash. And I know people here will read this and just go into the usual "wahhhhhhhhhhh Twitter! wahhhhhhhhh cancel culture!" whenever somebody calls out transphobia online. But really, JK Rowling's comments given to her are nothing to what trans people face, and she has to face her consequences, just like you and me. Her writing fantasy novels does not make her exempt.

And honestly, between a woman who has a net worth of at least $650 million and a minority group that sees one in four face an assault and employee discrimination, as well as one in five currently on the streets, all of which to say nothing about the endless amount of discrimination solely because people are feeling comfortable in the gender identity they feel most complete in...yeah, Joanne's backlash is nothing.

Yes, JK is wrong and harmful, he didn't defended her words: 'Though he disagreed with Rowling's comments on the issue'. But attacking her with the sexual and physical abuse she suffered, as some people did in Twitter, is not right either. He didn't defended transphobia, he adressed these types of attacks. You have do add the fact that the last wave of attacks were baseless, 'Troubled Blood' is not about a trans serial killer.

I'm not sure what Redmayne's true intentions were with that statement but it's being heavily perceived as a false equivalency argument. It comes off as a bit tone-deaf because while yes people shouldn't be sending death threats or other heinous things to others online but Rowling has not backed down with her rhetoric and has continuously doubled down on it which many people find harmful. She's rich and not out there in risk of harm like trans people and other minority groups are, so trying to make her out to be a victim right now was not a smart move.

Edited by Gazer365
  • Like 2

Death threats are never justified, regardless of what Rowling said or how rich she is. It’s one thing to call a person out for their views, but threatening that person’s life does no favors to the trans community. If anything, that will not only fuel the victim mentality from people like Rowling, but it also makes anti-trans groups feel as though their beliefs about trans advocates and “SJWs” are being validated. 

Between the boring sequel/predecessor movie, Johnny Depp's trial, J.K. Rowling finally exposed as a hateful person, Eddie Redmayne defending JK as she's paying his bills and Ezra Miller controversy, the third movie out next year is D.O.A imo.

There are also thousands of JK supporters sending death threats to trans people on social media. Actually, trans people DO get murdered almost on a daily basis. 

3 hours ago, Wormow said:

Between the boring sequel/predecessor movie, Johnny Depp's trial, J.K. Rowling finally exposed as a hateful person, Eddie Redmayne defending JK as she's paying his bills and Ezra Miller controversy, the third movie out next year is D.O.A imo.

Honestly, the Depp, Miller, and Redmayne stuff is pretty much small potatoes at this point compared to the Rowling stuff. I'm just gonna guess right now that this movie might end up simply being very mediocre; not bad enough to make fun of/tear apart and passably competent majority of the time to earn somewhere in 60's RT score. It might make some money but still a disappointment. A "nothing burger" of a movie. Warner Brothers has had a rough few years with their franchises haven't they?

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Most people don’t seem very mad at Johnny Depp for suing Amber Heard. There are a lot of people who are taking his side. 

It's funny how he sued her and now he's trying to postpone the trial, while she's the one asking to go to court already and solve this case.

14 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

It's funny how he sued her and now he's trying to postpone the trial, while she's the one asking to go to court already and solve this case.

In addition to the audio of Amber Heard admitting to abusing Depp, there have also been multiple other people who have come forward to accuse her of abusing them. Also, Amber Heard actually has a prior arrest for domestic violence, while Johnny Depp does not. 

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

In addition to the audio of Amber Heard admitting to abusing Depp, there have also been multiple other people who have come forward to accuse her of abusing them. Also, Amber Heard actually has a prior arrest for domestic violence, while Johnny Depp does not. 

Yet she's not the one avoiding trial.

7 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Most people don’t seem very mad at Johnny Depp for suing Amber Heard. There are a lot of people who are taking his side. 

I am not taking sides because I think both Depp and Heard are lying their heads off over this. I will wait until we have some solid evidence come out before choosing sides. I am betting in the end, niether one comes away looking good from this.

People who take sides in a situation like thi sjust  because they like a partuclar stare are morons, frankly.

29 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I am not taking sides because I think both Depp and Heard are lying their heads off over this. I will wait until we have some solid evidence come out before choosing sides. I am betting in the end, niether one comes away looking good from this.

People who take sides in a situation like thi sjust  because they like a partuclar stare are morons, frankly.

So far, Heard has come out of this looking a lot worse than Depp. She’s always been an extremely sketchy person, but no one paid attention to it before, because no one even cared who she was until she married Depp. 

The title of this thread speaks the truth. W/ regards to box office, I'm not gonna have an internet uproar 12+ (let's be real, this is getting delayed) months before the release date influence my predictions lmao.

This thread's a dumpster fire, see y'all in 12 months

34 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's insane how this movie hasn't even been delayed once. Is JK Rowling forcing WB to release this movie on November?

It's gonna get delayed, they just seem to be dragging their feet in regards to announcements about this movie it seems. This will be coming out in 2022, either in theaters or VOD if it ever finishes filming.

Edited by clockwork

20 hours ago, clockwork said:

It's gonna get delayed, they just seem to be dragging their feet in regards to announcements about this movie it seems. This will be coming out in 2022, either in theaters or VOD if it ever finishes filming.

The other thing is the possibility they might have to delay start of filming due to the virus. As it si, that is a very tight schedule for a blockbuster film.

20 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's insane how this movie hasn't even been delayed once. Is JK Rowling forcing WB to release this movie on November?

WB cares less about the Rowling controversy and more about the money they could gain from a Potterverse film. They probably want to release this concurrently with Hogwarts Legacy and have them promote each other. They're crossing their fingers and hoping the controversy blows over.

1 hour ago, SLAM! said:

WB cares less about the Rowling controversy and more about the money they could gain from a Potterverse film. They probably want to release this concurrently with Hogwarts Legacy and have them promote each other. They're crossing their fingers and hoping the controversy blows over.

Honestly, at this point Warner Brothers should just buy the HP IP from her so they can do whatever the want without having to deal with her and her issues. The brand is still very popular, but her? not so much anymore.

Her involvement with these FB films has been a detriment to their potential and she's doesn't have much to loose if they don't do well, except maybe her ego. She's pretty much seems like a one-hit wonder to me, anything she's tried to write after the HP story finished has been mediocre at best and flat out bad/slightly offensive at worst. Time to move past her and let some other people take a crack at this world. I'm sure there are plenty of creatives out that can do a better job than her at expanding it.

Edited by Gazer365
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1