CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

8 hours ago, Wormow said:

I mean, Sony/WB had to release an entire statement attached to Hogwarts Legacy to make it clear JK was not involved with that game 

And even then I saw some people going "but is she making money off it tho?" She's become a liability and I think it's getting time for WB  to cut her loose, buy the IP from her and move on.

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

They can’t buy the IP from Rowling if Rowling doesn’t want to sell it. Besides, how much would she charge for it? Disney spent $4 billion buying Star Wars from George Lucas

This.And I think Rowling has, in the back of her mind, the idea she eventually will write a new novle set in the Potterverse. Makes no sense to sell the IP.

Edited by dudalb

On 10/7/2020 at 1:14 AM, dudalb said:

The other thing is the possibility they might have to delay start of filming due to the virus. As it si, that is a very tight schedule for a blockbuster film.

They have been filming for two or three weeks already, I think.

On 10/7/2020 at 2:33 AM, Gazer365 said:

Honestly, at this point Warner Brothers should just buy the HP IP from her so they can do whatever the want without having to deal with her and her issues. The brand is still very popular, but her? not so much anymore.

Her involvement with these FB films has been a detriment to their potential and she's doesn't have much to loose if they don't do well, except maybe her ego. She's pretty much seems like a one-hit wonder to me, anything she's tried to write after the HP story finished has been mediocre at best and flat out bad/slightly offensive at worst. Time to move past her and let some other people take a crack at this world. I'm sure there are plenty of creatives out that can do a better job than her at expanding it.

FB movies wouldn't even exist if she wasn't envolved, she being a detriment to it doesn't even make sense. There's no one who could do a Wizarding World story better than her, she created it. The Strike novels are well received, the first book was praised before anyone know she was the writer. One script doesn't make her a bad storyteller.

1 hour ago, Felipe said:

There's no one who could do a Wizarding World story better than her, she created it. 

Do you really believe that? I mean nobody else has gotten the chance to try so we don't know about that yet(except for maybe cursed child?), and just because she created it doesn't mean she always knows whats best for it or that everything she touches will turn to gold.

1 hour ago, Felipe said:

FB movies wouldn't even exist if she wasn't envolved, she being a detriment to it doesn't even make sense.

The FB movies, especially the 2nd one, have not been super well received. Most people gave FB1 a pass since it was the first of them but the TCOG shook the belief that anything HP-related is always guaranteed to be of good-to-great quality and a huge money maker. Rowling struck lighting in a bottle once, and by recent events it seems like she can't do it twice, so maybe it's time to let someone else take a crack at it. Pretty much every other franchise is not under the thumb of one creator and if WB wants to keep HP around they're gonna have to start letting other, new people be involved with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clockwork said:

Do you really believe that? I mean nobody else has gotten the chance to try so we don't know about that yet(except for maybe cursed child?), and just because she created it doesn't mean she always knows whats best for it or that everything she touches will turn to gold.

The FB movies, especially the 2nd one, have not been super well received. Most people gave FB1 a pass since it was the first of them but the TCOG shook the belief that anything HP-related is always guaranteed to be of good-to-great quality and a huge money maker. Rowling struck lighting in a bottle once, and by recent events it seems like she can't do it twice, so maybe it's time to let someone else take a crack at it. Pretty much every other franchise is not under the thumb of one creator and if WB wants to keep HP around they're gonna have to start letting other, new people be involved with it.

If WB wants to keep HP around, they have no chance but to continue working with Rowling. 

4 hours ago, clockwork said:

I think Rowling WANTS to control the Potterverse and is not going to turn it over to other people withou having a veto.

You don't get that Rowlong controls the franchise..as well she should, she is the one who created it...and the movies are only one aspect of the Potter franchsie.

Rowling would just have to announce she is writing a new Potter novel and she could write her own ticket with any publisher in the business.  She really does not need the films to make a huge amount o fmoney from the Potterverse.

The situation is not the same as if WB owned the frachise outright like they do with DC. They don't, Rowling is not going to sell,end of story.

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

If WB wants to keep HP around, they have no chance but to continue working with Rowling. 

Rowling owns the franchsie, period.

And she really does not need the movies to make another fortuen from the Potterverse. Alll she has to do is announce a new Potter novel, and she would get the most lucrative deal in the history of publishing..with every major publisher trying to outbid each other.

I don't think Rowling has to be pushed out of the franchise, the stories she's trying to tell in the Fantastic Beasts series are really good. The only problem is that she needs help putting them in script form. The first movie was tight, but the second was a mess. Good news is that, for this third film, they're bringing back the guy who wrote 7 out of the 8 Harry Potter films. It will be hard to change the fate of the FB franchise but they can explore the Wizarding World with something else and this is a good pattern to follow: a combination of Rowling's creativity with good scriptwriters.

• Like 1

Some guy at Forbes thinks Depp is perfect casting for FB3.

The embattled Depp is one of our most gifted actors and storytellers — in fact, that is the main reasons that producers and directors keep pounding on the man for big roles: He knows how to incorporate a character, no matter how fantastical, and how to bring that character's story to life.

Put simply, Fantastic Beasts absolutely needs a tragic villain at its core, and, right now, there are very few actors on earth who can play, as well as the talented Mr. Depp, a grand, nuanced, Faustian figure grappling with his own demons while attempting to take over the (wizarding) world.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/guymartin/2020/11/02/johnny-depp-loses-london-libel-trial-murdochs-sun-vindicated-in-naming-the-actor-as-an-abuser/?sh=30b7d6ac177c

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

lol I personally find Grindelwald to be a boring villain and very out of place in a movie series called "Fantastic Beasts".  Depp isn't really the hot commodity he once was and his appearance in these movies has been controversial from the start. He really doesn't seem worth all the trouble and bad PR Warner Brothers has had to deal with in regards to justifying his casting in this franchise, just let him go and make this series actually revolve around Fantastic Beasts like it should be.

The Dumbledore/Grindelwald story is way too powerful not to revisit. 

The biggest shame is that Jude Law is pitch-perfect casting...it'll be so difficult to do better than him.

Depp will be so easy to replace...especially with those hideous eyes. Anyone else found it stupid? Grindelwald's appeal was his way with words...distracting that with a different colored eye is lazy.

Edited by Noctis