CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

So, Viewer Anon replied something to Rowling on twitter.. 

don´t believe he will really do that, but it seems he revealed the chinese creature of the movie..

Spoiler
Hi, Jo. The threats against you are terrible. And the next time you suggest trans people are a threat to women, I’m going to release a beat-for-beat summary of Fantastic Beasts 3 online. People are going to love hearing about the Qilin. Cheers.

2 hours ago, Chicago said:

Is JK Rowling getting her own way such a bad thing? After all, you don't hear many people say they prefer the movies to the books.

Yes, it is a bad thing. Just because she's the creator of HP doesn't mean she's always right, same thing with any other creator. She's become a liability tbh and I don't see the brand evolving and improving much as long she's still involved with it and calling some of the shots, and I imagine some at WB feel the same way too.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rogerio said:

So, Viewer Anon replied something to Rowling on twitter.. 

don´t believe he will really do that, but it seems he revealed the chinese creature of the movie..

Reveal hidden contents

This guy is like the Hollywood Joker. I like this energy.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

a related sidenote, is this "Qilin" they're talking about a trans stereotype or something? Found it odd VA would specifically mention that.

I just assume Anon used it as an example of proof that he actually does have a detailed plot description of the film.

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

I just assume Anon used it as an example of proof that he actually does have a detailed plot description of the film.

This. Not that Rowling will ever see that post, but if she does, she'll know what it means.

Edited by ViewerAnon
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, ViewerAnon said:

This. Not that Rowling will ever see that post, but if she does, she'll know what it means.

You said the threats against her are terrible and then you make a threat to leak her work. She doesn't think trans people are a threat to women, as she said in her essay:

I believe the majority of trans-identified people not only pose zero threat to others, but are vulnerable for all the reasons I’ve outlined. Trans people need and deserve protection. Like women, they’re most likely to be killed by sexual partners. Trans women who work in the sex industry, particularly trans women of colour, are at particular risk. Like every other domestic abuse and sexual assault survivor I know, I feel nothing but empathy and solidarity with trans women who’ve been abused by men.

https://www.jkrowling.com/opinions/j-k-rowling-writes-about-her-reasons-for-speaking-out-on-sex-and-gender-issues/

The problem is that in her mind, cis men are going to walk into bathrooms and changing rooms pretending to be trans women.

That doesn't make any sense, but that's what she thinks.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

It is petty, and if I can ruin her day after she's ruined days for a number of my trans friends, I'm happy to do it. :)

But you're not ruining her day. She doesn't need another hit. The thousands of people working on the production however could probably do with a hit given how the industry has been lately.

I remember reading one of her quotes stating that trans people she finds doesn't have an issue with her, the backlash comes more from non trans people speaking/arguing on behalf of them. I guess people like you are who she meant 

Edited by Chicago
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Chicago said:

But you're not ruining her day. She doesn't need another hit. The thousands of people working on the production however could probably do with a hit given how the industry has been lately.

I remember reading one of her quotes stating that trans people she finds doesn't have an issue with her, the backlash comes more from non trans people speaking/arguing on behalf of them. I guess people like you are who she meant 

Do you believe people when they say they can’t be racist because they have lots of black friends too?

Where did she keep saying trans women are a threat? Because she made a statement that anyone who simply identifies as a woman can go into bathrooms can be a big risk? That's it?

I believe the majority of trans-identified people not only pose zero threat to others, but are vulnerable for all the reasons I’ve outlined. Trans people need and deserve protection. Like women, they’re most likely to be killed by sexual partners. Trans women who work in the sex industry, particularly trans women of colour, are at particular risk. Like every other domestic abuse and sexual assault survivor I know, I feel nothing but empathy and solidarity with trans women who’ve been abused by men.

• Like 1

JK Rowling's transphobia is incredibly damaging not only because of her level of fame (power and status), but because she couches her transphobia in the language of being "concerned" for young people and women (conveniently ignoring trans women and young people in that concern). But hidden in her essay (and her comments elsewhere) are deeply damaging tropes about trans people. And she continued to espouse those damaging views through her platform, instead of actually educating herself. It's disappointing.

It's time for people to educate themselves. Here's an excellent video essay from a trans woman that is a good start - a worthwhile listen from beginning to end. There's also a great documentary on Netflix called "Disclosure" that, while focused on trans representation in TV and movies, also gets at some of the damaging tropes that Rowling reinforces (and is full of trans voices we all can learn from). You can either do the work to unpack why Rowling's views are problematic, and deeply damaging to trans people, or continue to uphold decades old stereotypes that have been used to denigrate trans individuals. 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1