CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Bringing back Jacob in the second movie was a mistake.. His plot was wrapped up really well in the first movie. Should have been a new team every movie.

I will forever beat the drum that Rowling should have just made a sweet, lighthearted romantic comedy between Jacob and Queenie because they were the only genuine thing in the first Beasts that truly worked 100%, and no I will not take any further questions.

The synopsis from The Crimes of Grindelwald

In an effort to thwart Grindelwald's plans of raising pure-blood wizards to rule over all non-magical beings, Albus Dumbledore enlists his former student Newt Scamander, who agrees to help, unaware of the dangers that lie ahead. Lines are drawn as love and loyalty are tested, even among the truest friends and family, in an increasingly divided wizarding world.

The synopsis for The Secrets of Dumbledore

Professor Albus Dumbledore knows the powerful Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald is moving to seize control of the wizarding world. Unable to stop him alone, he entrusts Magizoologist Newt Scamander to lead an intrepid team of wizards, witches and one brave Muggle baker on a dangerous mission, where they encounter old and new beasts and clash with Grindelwald’s growing legion of followers. But with the stakes so high, how long can Dumbledore remain on the sidelines?

With comparing the two synopsis, at least the new one is a bit more specific about the plot of the movie; Dumbledore is sending Newton on a mission with other wizards and will be fighting against Grindelwald followers. Okay, an improvement over the previous movie synopsis which as you can see was rather vague and didn't have much specifics beyond Dumbledore is asking Newt for help.

If nothing else this third movie needs to have a better and more discernible throughline. If the movie is gonna be about Newton on a mission for Dumbledore then keep that as the main part, don't constantly keep cutting back and forth between characters to the point where we don't know who we're supposed to be following because that was a big problem with the last one.

Edited by Gazer365

25 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Domestically this will bomb. There is no denying it.  Less than 100m strongly likely 

I know all money is good money to studios ultimately, but I do wonder how much the domestic box office for these movies matters to WB at the end of the day. They have to know by now they'll be making most of their money internationally with this, same with the previous two. Dune likely will make most of it's money internationally as well.

Yeah it does feel inevitable this will underperform which say what you want about the Star Wars prequels or the Hobbit movies but they were amongst the biggest movies in their era. The problem with all the Grindelwald and Dumbledore stuff is they skipped over the part people probably were interested in the most which is the era they actually worked together and the turn where their relationship breaks down. 

• Like 1

What a horrendous title. I can’t wait for them to work it into the first page of dialogue like “Grindlewald must answer for his crimes”.

That said, my ticket was bought when Mads replaced Depp. Mads may very well be my favorite actor working today, and the description I saw of his Grindlewald being “wizard Hannibal” is everything I wanted.

As for B.O. potential and audience enthusiasm for the series… well, I just rewatched the 3 trailers for CoG to try to understand how the film was sold. The marketing was pretty vague as to the film’s plot line, instead settling up the dynamic between Law’s Dumbledore and Persona-Non-Grata Depp.

Now given how unfocused CoG was, it makes sense the marketing lacked focus.

If DoS can hone in on Newt, give him an actual character arc, have a linear plot, slowly build up Mads, bring back a sense of magical fun instead of being dreary, and convey those points in the marketing, I can defiantly see this outperforming CoG. 

Also, the 3 and a half year wait certainly helps.

Edited by OncomingStorm93

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

If DoS can hone in on Newt, give him an actual character arc, have a linear plot, slowly build up Mads, bring back a sense of magical fun instead of being dreary, and convey those points in the marketing, I can defiantly see this outperforming CoG. 

Just going off the synopsis it does at least tell you there will be a quest of some sort, with Dumbledore and Grindelwald making moves against each other. Dumbledore will be sending Newt and friends to Brazil while Grindelwald likely will be sending his minions to Berlin on their own mission, and the third act results in those two groups coming to a head and a big fight happens and then the movie ends with neither side winning with the heroes licking their wounds and villains plotting their next move.

But looking again at the title of this movie it seems like they're also gonna go back into that bullshit about Ezra Millers character maybe being a dumbledore relative somehow, and just why? I'm so tired of these big properties and their concerns over a characters genealogy, like most people give a damn about that.

Unless the film does much better numbers than expected, this series may end on number four. Even IF this does bad numbers, there's no way Rowling will allow the series to be unfinished. That would be a bad look even long term for the series. So she can end it on the fourth - and people who say she doesn't have the power to do not understand the film industry. She was the golden goose for WB for literally 18 years - even CoG made a slight theatrical profit. 

She can easily say she won't allow for any WW film or project to happen unless a fourth film happens - and they will oblige. 

But, honestly, I'm excited for this film...but this series shouldn't have been called FB lol

9 minutes ago, clockwork said:

Just going off the synopsis it does at least tell you there will be a quest of some sort, with Dumbledore and Grindelwald making moves against each other. Dumbledore will be sending Newt and friends to Brazil while Grindelwald likely will be sending his minions to Berlin on their own mission, and the third act results in those two groups coming to a head and a big fight happens and then the movie ends with neither side winning with the heroes licking their wounds and villains plotting their next move.

But looking again at the title of this movie it seems like they're also gonna go back into that bullshit about Ezra Millers character maybe being a dumbledore relative somehow, and just why? I'm so tired of these big properties and their concerns over a characters genealogy, like most people give a damn about that.

The Brazil thing isn't confirmed. Even the synopsis on Wiki, the sources were dated from 2019. I think most likely that Brazil doesn't feature and that the story is based in:

Berlin

Hogwarts

China (the Qilin beast is the main beast in the film and has an important role)

Also, with Credence/Aurelius...the rumors say

he is Aberforth's son. But we'll see. It doesn't necessarily change canon if that's the case.

Edited by Noctis

41 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Depp's movies were bombing even before he was exposed as a domestic abuser, general audiences couldn't care less about him. 😂

It's true he was in a decline but I disagree the GA couldn't care less about him giving the large amount of support he seems to have gathered over the past couple of years. He seems like the sort of actor who could have a comeback 10 years or so from now. 

9 minutes ago, Chicago said:

It's true he was in a decline but I disagree the GA couldn't care less about him giving the large amount of support he seems to have gathered over the past couple of years. He seems like the sort of actor who could have a comeback 10 years or so from now. 

Maybe he'll have a comeback in a few years but as of right now I think it would be best if he layed lower for a while and stayed out of the news cycle. 

• Like 1