CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

Just have a movie that heavily features Mads and Jude Law interacting/facing-off and you could have something good. It's a pity Eddie Redmayne has to be there at all.

There's also negative chemistry between Redmayne and Waterston which isn't good in a series meant to be anchored by their love story.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

He was in the news cycle just yesterday, so I don’t think he plans on laying low. 

Yeah I saw him on one of the headlines yesterday moaning about cancel culture or something. I would have thought someone like Depp would have build up a big enough fortune to just turn his back on Hollywood.

2 minutes ago, Chicago said:

Yeah I saw him on one of the headlines yesterday moaning about cancel culture or something. I would have thought someone like Depp would have build up a big enough fortune to just turn his back on Hollywood.

He made 600 something million from his movies which he pissed away (according to his Rolling Stone profile a few years back) so he certainly tried to emulate his hero/buddy Brando in the burning bridges department. 

Now that this has a date (title is weird but whatever), I’m excited to see some footage. Hopefully this means the trailer will be out soon, maybe with Dune would make most sense. 

I hope this is less convoluted compared to CoG, the premise sounds promising in this aspect at least. In terms of BO, I don’t think it’ll bomb like some in here are expecting, but it would surprise me if this matched CoG in the US. 500m WW would be a very good result given the current circumstances. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

There's also negative chemistry between Redmayne and Waterston which isn't good in a series meant to be anchored by their love story.

Huh? Since when was this series meant to be anchored by their love story?!

16 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Yeah it does feel inevitable this will underperform which say what you want about the Star Wars prequels or the Hobbit movies but they were amongst the biggest movies in their era. The problem with all the Grindelwald and Dumbledore stuff is they skipped over the part people probably were interested in the most which is the era they actually worked together and the turn where their relationship breaks down. 

CoG got a worse Cinemascore than any of the PT or Hobbit movies, which were all A- with the exception of Unexpected Journey which managed an A (ROTS also had other metrics on the level of A Cinemascore but likely was docked a bit with its dark and depressing nature). It also had worse critical reviews than any of them. But I think the biggest issue is that the hook at the end of the last one was pitifully weak. I enjoyed CoG for the most part, but I'm not that hyped for Dumbledore lineage/family drama. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RRA said:

He made 600 something million from his movies which he pissed away (according to his Rolling Stone profile a few years back) so he certainly tried to emulate his hero/buddy Brando in the burning bridges department. 

I don't know how it's possible to piss away 600m without having assets behind you 

So apparently it's set in the early 1930s, and it takes place partly in Germany and partly in China. Does this mean our heroes are going to be dealing with both Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan (remember, Japan had already invaded China by this point)? Or is that asking too much of Rowling? 

Edited by El Squibbonator

Rowling's worldbuilding has never been strong but people weren't too bothered by it because there were endeared by the characters and the charm/quirkiness of the HP story, a story that didn't really deal with super serious real world events such as a world war. It's a tricky thing to try and establish that people with powers have been around for centuries and explain why they didn't step in to stop certain real-world atrocities.

If people were enjoying the post HP content more they wouldn't really be asking questions like "why didn't wizards stop WWII? "Why didn't they stop slavery?" etc.  Although I've seen people make similar comments (in a more jokey manner) towards that new Eternals who apparently have been on earth for thousands of years and yet didn't step in to stop such things like slavery or the Holocaust, or any war throughout human history. Curious to see how they'll handle that.

Edited by clockwork

Oh, it goes beyond that. One thing that always irked me about the series is that the wizards have what amounts to INSTANTANEOUS, GREENHOUSE-GAS-FREE TRANSPORTATION. If Portkeys and broomsticks were made available to Muggles, Al Gore would be proud. But wizards are content to let muggles keep polluting the planet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Squibbonator said:

Oh, it goes beyond that. One thing that always irked me about the series is that the wizards have what amounts to INSTANTANEOUS, GREENHOUSE-GAS-FREE TRANSPORTATION. If Portkeys and broomsticks were made available to Muggles, Al Gore would be proud. But wizards are content to let muggles keep polluting the planet. 

I mean, not to defend Rowling or anything, but she never portrayed wizards as being inherently altruistic just because they have magic. They aren't like jedi who use their powers to keep the peace, they're just people who have magic. Most people in real life aren't really interested in helping to improve the world, mostly just to benefit from it. 

Edited by clockwork

5 hours ago, clockwork said:

Rowling's worldbuilding has never been strong but people weren't too bothered by it because there were endeared by the characters and the charm/quirkiness of the HP story, a story that didn't really deal with super serious real world events such as a world war. It's a tricky thing to try and establish that people with powers have been around for centuries and explain why they didn't step in to stop certain real-world atrocities.

If people were enjoying the post HP content more they wouldn't really be asking questions like "why didn't wizards stop WWII? "Why didn't they stop slavery?" etc.  Although I've seen people make similar comments (in a more jokey manner) towards that new Eternals who apparently have been on earth for thousands of years and yet didn't step in to stop such things like slavery or the Holocaust, or any war throughout human history. Curious to see how they'll handle that.

That is literally one of her strongest aspects. 

• Like 3

I mean, it seems like a pretty easy solution: have the Wizarding world have it’s own threat that wizards have to deal with that is part of the threat of the Axis powers.

Wizards are fighting their own “WW2” while the Muggles do the same.

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

I mean, it seems like a pretty easy solution: have the Wizarding world have it’s own threat that wizards have to deal with that is part of the threat of the Axis powers.

Wizards are fighting their own “WW2” while the Muggles do the same.

That's exactly what was set up in the speech scene.

Awful title that reveals everything we need to know -- that these last two movies aren't about what the series was originally intended to be.  I look forward to two hours of Jude Law and Mads making googly-eyes at each other while they simultaneously attempt to blast each other out of existence...as Redmayne looks on from the sidelines with his own googly-eyes.  That's what this series became in Film 2.  Warners is clearly dumping this by setting the April date.  I remain pessimistic on the entire prospect, but might catch it at home later just for Mads -- even a Mads-sellout performance is better than most performances in Hollywood movies, lately.  His monologue-in-chains scene in Dr. Strange was the best thing in the movie.  

Edited by Macleod