CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

Series have continued with bombs, flops, and small box office losses...that is not applicable to CoG who made a small profit in theatrical release - and much more in home sales and streaming.

I can easily see a fourth film to conclude everything unless the performance overseas is below $250m. And if they CHOOSE to end it with the third even if it's a success relative to these times, that's fine as well. 

• Like 3

On 12/2/2021 at 1:46 AM, Noctis said:

Series have continued with bombs, flops, and small box office losses...that is not applicable to CoG who made a small profit in theatrical release - and much more in home sales and streaming.

This is true historically, there is investment in branded I.P. and its possibilities -- a few of the early TREK movies underperformed, as well as BEYOND, later, for example...and yet Paramount still talks of continuing that on a feature-film level.  (And I wonder if Lionsgate would have found a way to continue the Divergent franchise just a few years later in our current streaming/investment era?).  But we are in a different kind of blockbuster reality, now. (And of course a different reality due to Covid/Streaming Options, which may indeed open doors for continuing this eventually on HBOMax.)  But I'm sticking to my prediction that this is tentatively set-up as a conclusion to things, unless it does gangbusters...

Edited by Macleod

On 12/2/2021 at 7:46 AM, Noctis said:

I can easily see a fourth film to conclude everything unless the performance overseas is below $250m.

I agree. This has to be a complete disaster in order for them not to make Part 4. Canceling a movie series in the Wizarding World franchise will be something they will try to avoid very hard.

Especially when you see that they are selling Fantastic Beasts movies in the same boxes with Harry Potter movies. Are they going to sell unfinished series? 

1 hour ago, WeThrones said:

Je suis d'accord. Cela doit être un désastre complet pour qu'ils ne fassent pas la partie 4. L'annulation d'une série de films dans la franchise Wizarding World sera quelque chose qu'ils essaieront d'éviter très fort.

Surtout quand vous voyez qu'ils vendent des films Fantastic Beasts dans les mêmes boîtes que les films Harry Potter. Vont-ils vendre des séries inachevées ? 

Dune Part 2 is confirmed with almost 400M$WW (165M$ budget), so if FB3 cross 450M$ line too, i'm pretty optimistic for a 4rd movie.

3 hours ago, WeThrones said:

I agree. This has to be a complete disaster in order for them not to make Part 4. Canceling a movie series in the Wizarding World franchise will be something they will try to avoid very hard.

Especially when you see that they are selling Fantastic Beasts movies in the same boxes with Harry Potter movies. Are they going to sell unfinished series? 

Studios do this all the time with partially-finished film series of all iterations: Warner Bros. sold its classic Superman series with Superman Returns, Sony sells the different Spider-Man series together, etc.  They just want tie-in sales.

The franchise is arguably already in dire straits with its very mixed reception to the second film, its major recasting due to Depp's issues, and its narrative shifting away from the character it was initially based on to "legacy" characters like Dumbledore.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Macleod said:

Studios do this all the time with partially-finished film series of all iterations: Warner Bros. sold its classic Superman series with Superman Returns, Sony sells the different Spider-Man series together, etc.  They just want tie-in sales.

The franchise is arguably already in dire straits with its very mixed reception to the second film, its major recasting due to Depp's issues, and its narrative shifting away from the character it was initially based on to "legacy" characters like Dumbledore.  

I would not say dire straights but it sure as hell is not doing anywhere near what Warner's expected.

Agreed that the inclusion of the Beasts films in Potter boxed sets means nothing as to the future of the franchise.

I think this will be another "Hobbit" : it might make a profit for Warners, but in the end will be regarded as just a footnote to the original series of films.

Yes, the hard core fanboys are still excited about the films, but the GA seems pretty uninterested.

Edited by dudalb

James Newton Howard is very excited about this movie, he continues to promote the film:

“The third one is so awesome, I have to say. It's just a wonderful movie. Johnny Depp doesn't play Grindelwald anymore but this wonderful actor named Mads Mikkelsen plays Grindelwald and he brings a whole different kind of weight to it. Johnny has as well. does a great job, obviously, but this one has been the hardest one yet because I try to keep the essence of all the Beasts movies alive, but there are only epically huge scenes, and a bunch of them in this movie, and it totally kicked my butt. »

https://audioboom.com/posts/7988370-episode-280-composer-james-newton-howard-discusses-his-career

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

What?! TotalFilm singled out Tina? 

I'm guessing she must have been the focus of the reshoots...we'll see.

It was never really confirmed, but many people suspected that Katherine Waterston got covid during filming which led to her role in the film being significantly reduced.

From the bits and pieces I've heard/read about the movie thus far her character was barely in it which kinda supports that suspicion ,especially if you're one of the people that read the "leak" that was posted her a couple of weeks ago. If these reshoots are partially include Waterston in more scenes then cool.

Edited by clockwork

6 hours ago, clockwork said:

It was never really confirmed, but many people suspected that Katherine Waterston got covid during filming which led to her role in the film being significantly reduced.

From the bits and pieces I've heard/read about the movie thus far her character was barely in it which kinda supports that suspicion ,especially if you're one of the people that read the "leak" that was posted her a couple of weeks ago. If these reshoots are partially include Waterston in more scenes then cool.

I read she got a really bad case of Covid and was not able to film.

Her character literally has no scenes and only show up at the very final scene of the film. It seemed obvious much of Tina's role was given to Bunty. Some said Eulalie took over for Tina, but she was always meant to have a big role but Bunty's sizable role was not expected at all.

3 hours ago, Noctis said:

I read she got a really bad case of Covid and was not able to film.

Reveal hidden contents

Looks like we read the same thing. It sucks that Waterston got covid and I'm glad she's recovered enough to do some reshoots, I hope these reshoots have her character in the movie more. She barely had anything to do in the last movie so hopefully they can fit her into some key scenes so she can still be involved in the story somewhat

I almost forgot that her character and Queenie are supposed to be sisters and yet they didn't share one scene in the last movie and might not share a scene in this one either, guess we'll see what happens.

Edited by clockwork