CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

On 3/26/2020 at 3:52 PM, TerwillikerInst said:

Either that or they basically need to do a soft-reboot and go back to the "wacky shenanigans involving magical creatures" angle that made the 1st one such a hit. 

Add in more cute creatures, pitch it as a much lighter film with no real continuity to the last one, and just try to ignore what happened with COG as much as possible. 

This is what I'm still hoping they do tbh. The first movie wasn't perfect but it proved that it's possible to tell a self-contained story that doesn't have to rely heavily on/tie back into what we already know and introduce us to new corners of that world. At this point I feel it would be less risky for them to tell new stories that aint got nothing to do with Hogwarts than to continue on with current ideas.

Edited by clockwork

1 hour ago, clockwork said:

This is what I'm still hoping they do tbh. The first movie wasn't perfect but it proved that it's possible to tell a self-contained story that doesn't have to rely heavily on/tie back into what we already know and introduce us to new corners of this world they teased back in Harry Potter. At this point I feel it would be less risky for them to tell new stories that aint got nothing to do with Hogwarts than to continue on with current ideas.

To this day I am 99% convinced that all of the Grindlewald stuff in the first Fantastic Beasts was added in reshoots when WB decided to make FB into a more direct Potter spinoff late into production. 

I also wouldn't be too shocked if most of the scenes involving Ezra Miller's character got re-written as well, because the overall tone of his storyline was so much grimmer than the rest of the film.  

It's funny, given that in hindsight the focus on cute creatures, an American setting/cast, and the fact you didn't need to know that much about Harry Potter lore were likely the most successful selling points of the first one. 

Edited by TerwillikerInst

1 hour ago, TerwillikerInst said:

It's funny, given that in hindsight the focus on cute creatures, an American setting/cast, and the fact you didn't need to know that much about Harry Potter lore were likely the most successful selling points of the first one. 

Also the fact that it had been several years since anything HP related had come out and people were excited about new content. I loved that first teaser trailer for FB1, hearing that HP music gave me the feels and it really gave me a sense of wonder, especially as someone who didn't really get into or know much about Harry Potter during it's original run. WB does know how to make good trailers, regardless how their actual movies turn out 

Edited by clockwork

are they still making five movies? this needs to be cut down to three stat so they can start a new series that people actually care about. also hire some fresh faces with fresh voices, david yates is too much of a workhorse and his films are increasingly dull and unimaginative. they need their taika waititi 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, snarkmachine said:

are they still making five movies? this needs to be cut down to three stat so they can start a new series that people actually care about. also hire some fresh faces with fresh voices, david yates is too much of a workhorse and his films are increasingly dull and unimaginative. they need their taika waititi 

I'd imagine anyone fun and exciting would just be constrained by Rowling

2 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

I said a while back that I'd like Kennith Branuagh to direct one of these, or just someone other than Yates. Having the same dude direct multiple movies in a franchise can get stale after a while. Some rejuvenation is needed 

46 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

I'd imagine anyone fun and exciting would just be constrained by Rowling

I know people like to think Rowling has complete and utter control over anything HP related but when it comes to the movies she doesn't really get final say on everything, not unless she's paying out her own pocket for these to get made. WB has to sign off on whatever she suggests so they're the ones who we should be more concerned about really.

3 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

At this point, they aren't making anything...but I'd imagine that yeah, they will make the next one... and "see how it goes."   The last one had real problems, everyone knows that.  And now Ezra... 🤐

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

i still think a marauders series would go over well with audiences. there’s a direct link/emotional connection that isn’t there with the fantastic beasts series, and i still think half the appeal of the hp universe is the magical boarding school fantasy

1 hour ago, snarkmachine said:

i still think a marauders series would go over well with audiences. there’s a direct link/emotional connection that isn’t there with the fantastic beasts series, and i still think half the appeal of the hp universe is the magical boarding school fantasy

I'm not sure I agree with this. I personally don't find the marauders all that interesting and doing a series on them really would be a true cash grab/nostalgia bait thing and rather uninspired just like doing a Voldemort prequel or founders of Hogwarts story. They can't rely on tying everything back to the OG series, eventually they'll have to branch out and try different things. It seems Star Wars is having that same conundrum right now as well. This franchise may have started at Hogwarts but it doesn't have to end there.

Edited by Gazer365

7 hours ago, Macleod said:

At this point, they aren't making anything...but I'd imagine that yeah, they will make the next one... and "see how it goes."   The last one had real problems, everyone knows that.  And now Ezra... 🤐

“Aurelious Dumbledore” sure sounds enough like “Ariana Dumbledore.” They can recast him with a woman and make the character changed genders in between films. Ariana also has more context in the HP novels .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jak Ryan Drake Campbell said:
Dan Fogler announced in a recent interview" that many battle scenes would be present for this third film, and that he hoped to return to filming soon".
In my opinion, they will capitalize the intrigue on more actions and "simplicity" to attract the general public and give a little aura to this saga.

Action scenes are nice, unfortunately HP doesn't have many nice, creative actions scenes beyond flicking lights and explosions and David Yates does not seem like much of an action director tbh or knows how to shoot/edit them well. Like many others have said here I just don't think he can add much new to this world anymore. I get that people at WB like him and he's probably chill to work with but just let somebody else be the director for a bit. He could still be a producer but we could use someone new to add some freshness to these.

Edited by clockwork

I still believe that when Grindelwald was telling Credence about Albus, his "brother", betraying him, I felt he was speaking to Ariana who's obscurial lives within him. As long as the reason he's called Aurelius is because Ariana's soul is inside him, then it's all good. 

Apparently, filming for FB3 was set to happen in Iceland. That's interesting. Honestly, everything rides on this movie. If they make an easily accessible film for the fans and audiences, properly explain Aurelius' backstory and give proper due to characters like Queenie/Tina/Jacob/Dumbledore/Grindelwald...and stick the landing on an ending that gets everyone pumped for the fourth and fifth, then the series is good to go.

I am may be over FB 2 but for certainty need to rewatch it once.

Anyways, talks of having Newt as one to tell the story of prequel on one hand, I won't mind him tagging along like Bilbo Baggins in Hobbit series but was titling the prequels "Fantastic Beasts" a really good idea in first place. Heck "Wizarding World" would have been better title.

Anyways, I hope the next three films work as trilogy for rise, hold and demise of Grindelwald.

After we are done with this, we should get the series we actually need.

Voldemort & First Wizard World War focusing on trio of James, Lily & Sirius and ffs please give it a series worthy title. In fact Voldemort will be a good enough title.

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Voldemort & First Wizard World War focusing on trio of James, Lily & Sirius and ffs please give it a series worthy title. In fact Voldemort will be a good enough title.

Young Snape starring Adam Driver

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

It's amazing just how badly WB screwed up this franchise when it could have so easily been a money printing machine. It never needed to have any kind of direct connection with Harry Potter at all. 

Just have the characters travel to a new country every movie, fill the supporting cast with well-known international older actors and fresh up and comers, and introduce a few new beasts to sell toys of. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I for one don't mind the ideas behind CoG, the problem is that it was incredibly rushed and badly set up. Queenie's choice didn't make any sense, Credence being a Dumbledore doesn't make any sense, killing the most interesting and complex new character didn't make any sense. It was all just rushing from one event to another without having the proper time to establish any of them, which is sad, as there were some really well-made scenes and moments, and acting was really top-notch, as well as cinematography. I just don't get why did J.K rush things so much when there are 3 more films presumably in the works, that should've been enough to tell a complex and an interesting story. The idea of exploring the war between Dumbledore and Grindelwald is what attracted me to this franchise, not some magic animal hunting. In the end, WB's inability to tell J.K. she sucks at writing screenplays is what killed this movie, and I'm afraid to see it moving on with her still at the top. She should've written these as novels and then let someone else adapt them for screen.