CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

43 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The downward trend in the series is bad sign, briging in Dumbeldore and other charecters from the Potter books did not quite pay off the way they thought.

That was my biggest beef with the second movie. The first movie wasn't perfect but they did try to tell a new story, with new characters location and time period and it made a good amount of money ($812 million). Then TCOG comes and adds in all sorts of nonsense, references and call backs to harry potter and was messy in doing so. These movies should never have tried to tie back into Harry Potter so heavily. I imagine WB thought TCOG would make a billion dollars by adding in Dumbledore and Hogwarts but as we've seen that strategy did not pay off well for them. If they don't cancel this series then they'll do a soft reboot, hopefully without Rowling coming up with the ideas.

Rowling should be more careful with her words. Not because of shit like Harry Potter is a business and money. But because she refers to actual human beings with feelings. 

In any case, twitter controversy is like throwing a bucket of water to the ocean. Complete useless. Harry Potter fans will flood the cinemas as long as Rowling and WB offer good movies. Respectful to the source material.

I will say though that I agree that some changes need to happen. I feel like the franchise is in danger to feel...boring. They need new voice. Maybe Yates and Kloves should take a break from HP and pursue other things. Obviously WB won't cut ties with Rowling but they need to get new people involved. Also, Cuaron at one point had expressed interest in returning...why choose Yates?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I will say though that I agree that some changes need to happen. I feel like the franchise is in danger to feel...boring. They need new voice. Maybe Yates and Kloves should take a break from HP and pursue other things. Obviously WB won't cut ties with Rowling but they need to get new people involved. Also, Cuaron at one point had expressed interest in returning...why choose Yates?

I thought Cuarón was just being polite, since the series was a huge break for his career. Still, he's gone on to win Best Director twice, he has options besides returning to the Wizarding World, even if he wanted to do something more mainstream. Finding someone whose career is in a similar place to Cuarón's circa 2002 wouldn't be the worst idea, and by now it might be a person grew up as a Potter fan. 

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

In any case, twitter controversy is like throwing a bucket of water to the ocean. Complete useless. Harry Potter fans will flood the cinemas as long as Rowling and WB offer good movies. Respectful to the source material.

Problem is she's been saying crazy stuff consistently for the past few years, it's been building up. Even some of her most loyal fans were calling her out and considering cutting ties to her work.

People have been comparing her to George Lucas in a bad way but ironically I think she should take some pointers from him and let other people create stuff about/in her world. Almost all of the Star Wars books, comics, tv shows, and video games were made by various people besides Lucas over the decades with varying success but the involvement of so many different creators helped Star Wars grow into a juggernaut that spans across almost all forms of entertainment. Star Wars started with Lucas but it wont end with him, Rowling needs to let some creative control go and let other people play around in her world, it's starting to get too big for just her alone to handle by herself.

Edited by Gazer365

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

How much can Rowling sell full Wizarding World right to Warner for? Don't they already have partial rights?

I think JK sold WB the movie rights way back when, which is how the Harry Potter movies got made. She must still have some creator rights, or maybe just WB's blessing to have involvement in anything HP related. 

27 minutes ago, Gazer365 said:

I think JK sold WB the movie rights way back when, which is how the Harry Potter movies got made. She must still have some creator rights, or maybe just WB's blessing to have involvement in anything HP related. 

Lmao, if WB is keeping Rowling on board for "respect" or something, the 3rd film deserves to flop.

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

16 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lmao, if WB is keeping Rowling on board for "respect" or something, the 3rd film deserves to flop.

I wont be surprised if WB social media people advise not mentioning Rowlings name near anything related to HP for a bit, until some of the stink wears off. Her PR person or assistant needs to revoke her social media privileges, time to take a break JK. 

Edited by clockwork

5 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Rowling should be more careful with her words. Not because of shit like Harry Potter is a business and money. But because she refers to actual human beings with feelings. 

3 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I thought Cuarón was just being polite, since the series was a huge break for his career. Still, he's gone on to win Best Director twice, he has options besides returning to the Wizarding World, even if he wanted to do something more mainstream. Finding someone whose career is in a similar place to Cuarón's circa 2002 wouldn't be the worst idea, and by now it might be a person grew up as a Potter fan. 

The Cuaron rumor was thanks to a user from this forum

On 6/1/2014 at 6:45 PM, MuffinMan said:

Confession: The only reason Finke tweeted Cuaron was in talks was because I sent her a tip on her website that said, verbatim, "Alfonso Cuaron is deep in talks to direct Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them for Warner." Didn't leave a name, e-mail, evidence or anything else. She took the bait less than 30 minutes later. :stirthepot::bop:

• Haha 5
  • Astonished 4

Oh dear god, FB3 script would get rewrite as she want you guys to know more about her foresighted politic view of Trans just like how she did in FB2 with fascist. Fans: David Yates is the only reason the movie is so bad. 

Then FB4-5 go HBO Max as TV series after box office flop.

This is the culmination of a lot of hateful, uninformed comments from Joanne. It's been bubbling under the surface for some time. If she were the writer of some other series, I think it'd eventually blow over. But this is a series that taught many of us about prejudice at a young age. What she's saying now is contradicting that core message to the point where it is really hard to separate the art and the artist. It's like how Orson Scott Card's homophobia completely nullifies Ender's story in that series.

She'll never be anything but outrageously successful, but the irony is that she's helped create a generation who really won't stand for her crap.

• Like 5

if people acted in real life the same way they do on social media, a lot more of those shitty celebs would actually get cancelled and be hurt financially. but twitter turned cancel culture into a meme, (or maybe that's how it always has been)

Lol nobody gives a shit about Twitter controversy. If FB3 doesn’t get made it will be because they fear it might pull a Dark Phoenix/Allegiant. WB won’t cut ties with Rowling. Eventually they will make Harry Potter 9 which could potentially be a Force Awakens type event 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1