CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

32 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Lol nobody gives a shit about Twitter controversy. If FB3 doesn’t get made it will be because they fear it might pull a Dark Phoenix/Allegiant. WB won’t cut ties with Rowling. Eventually they will make Harry Potter 9 which could potentially be a Force Awakens type event 

The team behind TFA explicitly ignored Lucas’ ideas, though. I could definitely see WB doing the same for a hypothetical Harry Potter 9, although I’m assuming that Rowling would need to completely relinquish the rights to the franchise before that. 

4 hours ago, Gazer365 said:

I think JK sold WB the movie rights way back when, which is how the Harry Potter movies got made. She must still have some creator rights, or maybe just WB's blessing to have involvement in anything HP related. 

JK still has creative control over the IP due to a deal she made with WB in exchange of film rights to the books. Seems like they are stuck with her as long she wants.

Good thing Warner Brothers has their streaming service(s) now. They could always just put these on there. We've seen a lot of movies being put on streaming services that likely would not have done well in theaters; Scoob, Capone, Trolls: World Tour, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clockwork said:

Good thing Warner Brothers has their streaming service(s) now. They could always just put these on there. We've seen a lot of movies being put on streaming services that likely would not have done well in theaters; Scoob, Capone, Trolls: World Tour, etc.

Harry Potter is supposed to be a guarantee cash cow though along with the DC Films. I think make the third but end it there and plan for the inevitable Harry Potter sequel. Or start something else completely disconnected with the main storyline in Harry Potter.

27 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Or start something else completely disconnected with the main storyline in Harry Potter.

That's what the first FB was, barely had anything to do with Harry Potters story. But then they wanted to make these into prequels and that 2nd one backfired on them. WB has not had a consistent franchise in the last five years, it's been very hit or miss with them. They definitely aren't Marvel/Disney.

16 hours ago, John Marston said:

Lol nobody gives a shit about Twitter controversy. If FB3 doesn’t get made it will be because they fear it might pull a Dark Phoenix/Allegiant. WB won’t cut ties with Rowling. Eventually they will make Harry Potter 9 which could potentially be a Force Awakens type event 

Agree.

And then destroy the franchise by The Rise of Potter

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

JK still has creative control over the IP due to a deal she made with WB in exchange of film rights to the books. Seems like they are stuck with her as long she wants.

There has to be some kind of 'moral turpitude' clause that they have in there.  If WB cares enough, and wants to take a stand, they will invoke it. 

An actor from the TV Flash was just fired this morning for 6-8 year-old Tweets, so... we'll see! 

57 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Any negative press, I think cancel out

Radcliffe's not involved in any way with these Beasts films though. Maybe if Redmayne or Depp chimed in, or even the non-binary actor in their cast Ezra Miller

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Radcliffe's not involved in any way with these Beasts films though. Maybe if Redmayne or Depp chimed in, or even the non-binary actor in their cast Ezra Miller

I'd bet you won't hear from them because honestly... I think the series is in real limbo.  No one else wants to touch this.

Radcliffe's response is excellent and typically classy; his agent will be able to demand big bucks when Warner Bros. wants to finalize another couple Harry Potters soon.  😉  His response is more proof that going back to that guaranteed HP well is the best choice, at this point.  Unless they decide to scrap it all simply so that Rowling doesn't get paid anything else...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I'd bet you won't hear from them because honestly... I think the series is in real limbo.  No one else wants to touch this.

Radcliffe's response is excellent and typically classy; his agent will be able to demand big bucks when Warner Bros. wants to finalize another couple Harry Potters soon.  😉  His response is more proof that going back to that guaranteed HP well is the best choice, at this point.  Unless they decide to scrap it all simply so that Rowling doesn't get paid anything else...

Radcliffe seems like a class-act. They should bring in Paul King to revive the Potter films and bring in the old cast back; do the Force Awakens thing and it's a guaranteed cash cow.

22 minutes ago, TMP said:

They should bring in Paul King to revive the Potter films and bring in the old cast back; do the Force Awakens thing and it's a guaranteed cash cow.

Tbh having Rowling attached to anything Potter related is a bit of a risk right going forward, not just because of her twitter issues but also her writing on these FB films has been amateurish at best.  She needs to let other people write stuff about this world, she isn't the only person who can come up with good ideas and hopefully WB realizes this soon.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, TMP said:

Radcliffe seems like a class-act. They should bring in Paul King to revive the Potter films and bring in the old cast back; do the Force Awakens thing and it's a guaranteed cash cow.

I think its soon for sequel. Let the demand build.

Right now they should focus on prequels. I would have loved to see a may be trilogy focusing on Sirius, James and Lily with Snape than what we are having now.

They're not going to spend any more money developing HP spinoffs, at this point, for all the reasons above.  I think an "Old Age" HP sequel or two will become a priority very soon (it's been rumored for a few years already; there may even be prelim contracts in place), and a FB sequel is less likely with each day...and even hour.

When Warners gets back to full studio film production, they will want "sure things."  A FB sequel isn't it.  They already went back to The Matrix.  I expect this to be next. 

Edited by Macleod

why do people want harry potter 9? we got 8 movies with Harry as the lead and his story was wrapped up nicely,  we need more movies focusing on new and previously underdeveloped characters (like what the FB series is doing).

a TFA-like sequel/reboot would be the lamest and safest thing anyone can do to a franchise like this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

why do people want harry potter 9? we got 8 movies with Harry as the lead and his story was wrapped up nicely,  we need more movies focusing on new and previously underdeveloped characters (like what the FB series is doing).

a TFA-like sequel/reboot would be the lamest and safest thing anyone can do to a franchise like this. 

Same reason people wanted Star Wars 7. Nostalgia sells

• Like 2