CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I think you are missing the point. 

WB can cancel a film at just about any point legally, in reality it's very difficult from a economic standpoint to do so.

I am not agreeing with the point that WB can cancel a film at just about any point legally.

1) Cancelling their involvement in a movie project isn't the same has cancelling a film (specially when it is the movie of a multi-billionaire of one of the most powerful franchise in the world)

2) Studio cannot cancel every film about any point legally, they tend to have some ending close that define under which scenario they can legally do that, studios obviously do not have to follow the law and often do not, but again that a different statement.

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

because we ain't getting fant4stic beasts

If FB 3 can rebound and not drop below 700, we actually will.

FB 2 though irl Flop still grossed $650mn, earning $280mn Theatrical SHARE, something only crossed by Joker & Aquaman for Warner iirc and eventually $60mn approx profit after good TV deals & Home Video sales.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

If FB 3 can rebound and not drop below 700, we actually will.

short of a "harry potter discovered the time travel spell and now he's here in the 1930s" plot i can't see a way this actually increases. i think it's more than likely it goes under $100mil in the US.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

short of a "harry potter discovered the time travel spell and now he's here in the 1930s" plot i can't see a way this actually increases. i think it's more than likely it goes under $100mil in the US.

HP rebounded after Prisoner of Azkaban which now we consider as one of the best HP films but its reception was sort of ehh.  Everybody I have met has said that they didn't like HP3 initially but now they do.

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

HP rebounded after Prisoner of Azkaban which now we consider as one of the best HP films but its reception was sort of ehh.  Everybody I have met has said that they didn't like HP3 initially but now they do.

Good luck if you expect that kind of revisionism to happen with Crimes of Grindelwald I guess. There’s so much more apathy towards these than the originals. This is more likely to be the Dark Phoenix to Grindelwald’s Apocalypse.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Not comparable whatsoever though. I didn't mind CoG but its reception was much worse than Azkaban, plus the originals adapted massively popular books/characters so people had a reason to keep watching even if they weren't a fan of any particular film.

Edited by Menor

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Not comparable whatsoever though. I didn't mind CoG but its reception was much worse than Azkaban, plus the originals adapted massively popular books/characters so people had a reason to keep watching even if they weren't a fan of any particular film.

Yeah much worse, I am just saying rebound can happen. I still have faith on JK.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah much worse, I am just saying rebound can happen. I still have faith on JK.

Yeah it's possible, there just seems to be absolutely zero buzz around this. Like on HP fan sites I hardly see anyone talk about FB positive or negative. It seems like it has basically been forgotten.

• Like 1

The first movie was a definite success, it got solid reviews and made really good money. The second movie was a disappointment all around to mostly everybody but a few but not a flop financially. This third movie is in a tricky position since it's supposedly going to continue plot threads established in the 2nd one, but those threads weren't well received or understood so few people are truly excited to see those continue or be concluded.

This may be an unpopular opinion but I dont find Dumbledore or Grindelwald all that interesting, certainly not worth having a whole franchise to themselves. I didn't want a prequel series I wanted spin-offs; new people and new magic. The first movie took a stab at that and I know not everybody likes the character of Newt but I blame that on the writing for not giving him a proper character arc/development thus far. Having Dumbledore in these feels utterly pointless and somewhat lazy because we know he survives and defeats Grindelwald down the line, the stakes are low and the world is still small. There so much potential for this world, I wish the creatives would truly realized this.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 2

why do people want this series to be cancelled?

since everyone and their mother is sure FB3 will bomb as bad as dark phoenix, shouldn't you be hoping that WB does move forward with FB3 so when it does bomb you can be further validated and stick it up to WB and say "i told you so"? 

I don't see any beneficial outcome from cancelling this franchise, because if it does get cancelled then the people who liked the first two movies will never get to see the conclusion, and the people who are dying to see a HP movie bomb (basically 90% of the users who keep bumping this thread) will not get that satisfaction.

22 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

It seems like people are mad at J.K. Rowling about this because of her self-proclaimed status as a feminist and activist. A person like Ricky Gervais has said worse things about transgender people, but he’s still doing pretty well, which I guess is because he’s built his career off of being edgy and offensive, so people expect that from him. 

Gervais does not have significant creative control/influence over a multi-billion-dollar franchise.  So what she says matters. 

18 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Twitter is mad at the creator of a franchise that has made gazillions for Warner, why don't they listen to Twitter and immediately bury this movie series? A true mystery.

When you have most major cast members of both past and current franchises speaking out publicly to refute Rowling, that's more than just Twitter. 

15 hours ago, Menor said:

Yeah it's possible, there just seems to be absolutely zero buzz around this. Like on HP fan sites I hardly see anyone talk about FB positive or negative. It seems like it has basically been forgotten.

This is the real problem that Warner Bros. has.  The last movie mess underwhelmed all around, and it truly felt like the Dumbledores were edging out Redmayne's characters in the story.  Couple that with Depp's increasingly problematic off-screen presence, and it was a lead balloon. 

4 hours ago, RealLyre said:

I don't see any beneficial outcome from cancelling this franchise, because if it does get cancelled then the people who liked the first two movies will never get to see the conclusion, and the people who are dying to see a HP movie bomb (basically 90% of the users who keep bumping this thread) will not get that satisfaction.

The cost/benefit will be up to Warner Bros. ...but stranger sequels have proceeded before, for various reasons. I don't think it's about hate or vindication; just because people are talking about these issues doesn't mean they are actively campaigning to bury the franchise.  I really loved the first FB movie, actually, more than most of the Potters.  But I agree with many that the second was the dregs.  And Warner Bros. just seems to have a lot piling on right now that is not encouraging a positive outlook for the future of this franchise.  But they made their bed...and so did Rowling. 

We'll see what happens. 

21 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

Good luck if you expect that kind of revisionism to happen with Crimes of Grindelwald I guess. There’s so much more apathy towards these than the originals. This is more likely to be the Dark Phoenix to Grindelwald’s Apocalypse.

That's the key. The FB films are just not as well liked by people as the  originals.

And,yeah, it's too late for that kind of revisionism.

Thing is the FB franchise was having severe issues before Rowling opened her mouth; her comments only made things worse.

And with LBGTG issues on the front page because of yesterday's US Supreme Court ruling Rowling is only going to dig herself a deeper hole with her rather inept attempts to defend herself.

As for the person who said he did not care about the issue I think caring about people's rights as human beings. is a lot more important than obssesing about a franchsie.

Honestly, things are just a mess right now. I honestly don't think Rowling is transphobic...she does raise some valid points but she's also in need of being educated in some areas. If she were to have an open discussion with transgender people, it would be very good for her.

As for this series...with Depp (seems Heard is very guilty but Depp has his issues too), Rowling, and Ezra Miller...this franchise is cursed. Honestly...what this should have been was a trilogy of FB movies...and then make a 4-part movie centered around Grindelwald and Dumbledore but the other two main characters being Leta Lestrange and Credence Barebone.

The sad thing is that the themes of FB (especially CoG) are actually by far the most thought-provoking. It's just the execution was so haphazard. 

Really what a wasted opportunity. 

49 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Honestly, things are just a mess right now. I honestly don't think Rowling is transphobic...she does raise some valid points but she's also in need of being educated in some areas. If she were to have an open discussion with transgender people, it would be very good for her.

As for this series...with Depp (seems Heard is very guilty but Depp has his issues too), Rowling, and Ezra Miller...this franchise is cursed. Honestly...what this should have been was a trilogy of FB movies...and then make a 4-part movie centered around Grindelwald and Dumbledore but the other two main characters being Leta Lestrange and Credence Barebone.

The sad thing is that the themes of FB (especially CoG) are actually by far the most thought-provoking. It's just the execution was so haphazard. 

Really what a wasted opportunity. 

Most of Johnny Depp’s issues seem to have stemmed from factors beyond his control, unless you want to argue that he should’ve known better than to marry someone like Amber Heard.