CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

On 6/16/2021 at 2:51 PM, John Marston said:

Steve Kloves is not a good writer. He had the books to rely on when it came to the HP movies but most of the new stuff he invented for those movies were pretty cringey

What?! 

On 6/16/2021 at 3:56 PM, John Marston said:

yes Kloves deserves credit for condensing the books but that’s all really did. Some of the decisions on what he chose to leave out and leave in were kind of baffling and original dialogue and moments he made up were actually pretty bad.

I disagree with some of the choices Kloves did, but there are plenty of gems that he added and expanded upon. 

I actually believe Crimes of Grindelwald actually had the foundation to be the strongest film in the entire WW but the execution was so schizophrenic. 

I'm curious as to what others believe, but I believe Credence and Leta should have been the main characters of a Grindelwald/Dumbledore series, each being a mirror of the two men. The strongest point in Crimes of Grindelwald was when Leta had the discussion with Dumbledore...both being consumed by guilt for accidentally killing their siblings. 

Queenie's story had an insane amount of potential. Yet they butchered it by limiting her transition to one scene with Grindelwald (though there was a scene in a rose garden between Queenie/Grindelwald that was cut). Why make her drug Jacob in the first place? They should have made it completely consensual from the start and eventually exploded and left because Jacob refused to get married and actually showing Tina being upset about their relationship because of the danger it put her in. 

Yousef Kama's story should have been cut entirely. 

PS: For all its deep faults, Crimes of Grindelwald's shot of the drowning cloth was still one of the most hauntingly beautiful images of the entire franchise. 

• Like 1

The problem with all these movies is that they are running on fumes. It's all the same people doing all the same stuff they've been doing for the last two decades. 

It's tired at this point and WB refuses to do the only sensible thing which is hire some new creative talent who aren't afraid to take massive risks and then let them go to town. 

The only real shot in the arm this franchise has had was back in 2004 when they hired Cuaron, who radically departed from both the books and the first two films and tried to make an actual movie. 

And even if you don't like Azkaban, it's frankly very telling that it instantly became the movie all the subsequent instalments tried to copy in both tone and visuals. Largely because it has actual substance and weight to it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There was a test screening and ViewerAnon shared some info. I put a tweet under the spoiler tag where he talks about the basic plot of the movie and where the story is set. It's not a spoiler, but just in case some fans don't wanna know what the movie is about yet.

Spoiler

• Like 2

The general plot actually seems good. 

Why would there be an explanation for his appearance change? 

I suspected and was right that a key location initially announced is no longer in the movie after the major rewrite. Glad it's focused now on Germany.

Loved Waterston in the first but her role was largely minimal in the second...not fussed about her not being in the third much as Queenie has a far more interesting storyline.

I need to know what the reactions are. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Noctis said:

The general plot actually seems good. 

Why would there be an explanation for his appearance change? 

I suspected and was right that a key location initially announced is no longer in the movie after the major rewrite. Glad it's focused now on Germany.

Loved Waterston in the first but her role was largely minimal in the second...not fussed about her not being in the third much as Queenie has a far more interesting storyline.

As far as a story following the second film that's definitely the right way to go, and could make for a very good (albeit not quite an exciting blockbuster for general audiences) film.

And yeah I'd like to know any reactions too, especially if it is an actual disaster even with this story that shouldn't really be that complicated.

• Like 1

I still find it annoying that they keep calling it Fantastic Beasts and yet also want it to be a Dumbledore prequel, feels like they want to have things both ways which has been a problem from the get-go. If those tweets are accurate at least this plot seems somewhat more coherent than the last movie.

Also, we should acknowledge that this will still somewhat be a set up movie, right? Because we know Dumbledore and Grindelwald ain't fighting in this one so barely anything of consequence will be happening here, just a lot of going through the motions. I'm still just not all that excited about what they're currently doing vs what they could potentially do with this franchise/world.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, clockwork said:

I still find it annoying that they keep calling it Fantastic Beasts and yet also want it to be a Dumbledore prequel, feels like they want to have things both ways which has been a problem from the get-go. If those tweets are accurate at least this plot seems somewhat more coherent than the last movie.

Also, we should acknowledge that this will still somewhat be a set up movie, right? Because we know Dumbledore and Grindelwald ain't fighting in this one so barely anything of consequence will be happening here, just a lot of going through the motions. I'm still just not all that excited about what they're currently doing vs what they could potentially do with this franchise/world.

I can’t imagine that WB would be willing to commit to pumping out two more movies after this. This movie needs to be able to serve as a finale. 

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I can’t imagine that WB would be willing to commit to pumping out two more movies after this. This movie needs to be able to serve as a finale. 

By all accounts thus far it doesn't seem like this movie is gonna serve as any sort of finale. If the movie severely under preforms they'll either cancel the remaining two or make serious creative changes and steer it in a new direction akin to doing a soft reboot of sorts like Bumblebee or the new Suicide Squad movie. 

18 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Honestly should have literally dropped Fantastic Beasts and make a new series with the same Dumbledore and Grindelwald.

That's part of what I meant when I said it still feels like they want to have things both ways, either stop calling it Fantastic Beasts and commit to the Dumbledore v Grindelwald story or commit to an actual story revolving around Fantastic Beasts and leave D and G behind. They've made these way more complicated than they needed to be.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Noctis said:

I'll be honest, the reactions I've heard aren't great. I've asked a number of people how they graded it on the score card (Excellent/Very Good/Good/Fair/Poor being the the choices) and I heard one Good, a few Fairs, and two Poors.

Even Good is considered a negative score by the studios.

Edited by ViewerAnon
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

I'll be honest, the reactions I've heard aren't great. I've asked a number of people how they graded it on the score card (Excellent/Very Good/Good/Fair/Poor being the the choices) and I heard one Good, a few Fairs, and two Poors.

Even Good is considered a negative score by the studios.

So pretty much right in line with what you had heard earlier. I'd be curious if they've tried to make it accessible for a general blockbuster-going audience, or if the political thriller side has made it too boring. If they have genuinely pushed for an accessible blockbuster and this is still the result, then they really are in trouble.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

I've heard there has been zero course correction from THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD. It's very much another movie of that ilk.

Then they are in trouble in many other ways that are borderline unacceptable at this point. On the one hand I can always admire artists for sticking to their guns, and I enjoyed quite a bit of CoG, but on the other hand I thought the whole point of all these pre-covid delays and hiring of another writer was to take all the criticisms to heart and improve. No one will be won over by doing another CoG even if it was done better.

Edited by Lucas

Biggest thing they need to do is make the movie coherent if nothing else, because arguably the biggest complain about the last movie was that the plot was all over the place and a bit hard to follow. Right now the biggest advantage they have is time, and I don't think any reshoots have been done yet, which is likely why they're doing test screenings right now to how much needs to/can be fixed. For their sake I hope they can patch it up so it can turn out at least half-decent, at least an improvement over the previous one.

Edited by clockwork

2 hours ago, ViewerAnon said:

I've heard there has been zero course correction from THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD. It's very much another movie of that ilk.

So what was the point in the major rewrite? That was done before COVID. 

Those reactions are disappointing but at least they are a year away. CoG had a test screening 4 months before release.