CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

Awful title that reveals everything we need to know -- that these last two movies aren't about what the series was originally intended to be.  I look forward to two hours of Jude Law and Mads making googly-eyes at each other while they simultaneously attempt to blast each other out of existence...as Redmayne looks on from the sidelines with his own googly-eyes.  That's what this series became in Film 2.  Warners is clearly dumping this by setting the April date.  I remain pessimistic on the entire prospect, but might catch it at home later just for Mads -- even a Mads-sellout performance is better than most performances in Hollywood movies, lately.  His monologue-in-chains scene in Dr. Strange was the best thing in the movie.  

I like Doctor Strange, but for me, Mads character in that falls into the same "forgettable marvel villain" category that most other MCU movies have had problems with in the past. Now I will disagree that WB is dumping this at it's current date, at least it's an improvement over it's previous July 2022 release which would have put in the path of Black Panther 2, Black Adam, and Indiana Jones 5. I still contend that pushing it back to October 2022 is the best solution.

Apparently, Mads Mikkelsen is great in this film. His persona fits well with this character...far better than any meandering Marvel villain could ever hope for.

This is not anti-Marvel, but let's be serious, the villains in the WW are MUCH more memorable than the ones in Marvel (with the exception of Thanos who commands similar energy). 

26 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Apparently, Mads Mikkelsen is great in this film. His persona fits well with this character...far better than any meandering Marvel villain could ever hope for.

This is not anti-Marvel, but let's be serious, the villains in the WW are MUCH more memorable than the ones in Marvel (with the exception of Thanos who commands similar energy). 

It seems you have more information about The movie.. you said something about Rio.. so, we really won't have Brazil?

4 hours ago, Noctis said:

Was Voldemort even a great villain?

4 hours ago, Noctis said:

Not really that comparable, Thanos is the Voldemort analog there and then you have Grindelwald (I would say MCU has early series Loki, Killmonger, Wenwu as better). Other than that there are minor villains like Bellatrix, Wormtail, etc who are no more memorable than minor Marvel villains to me. I guess if you count Draco and/or Snape as villains, which they did play those roles for parts of the series, those would add to the roster for WW but there are enough pretty good Marvel villains to even it out. That said Kaecilius was not one of Marvels better villains, though he did have a nice monologue about death. I expect Mads will be far better in this since Grindelwald is a much meatier role.

Edit: How could I forget Umbridge? But I think the overall point still stands.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

Not really that comparable, Thanos is the Voldemort analog there and then you have Grindelwald (I would say MCU has early series Loki, Killmonger, Wenwu as better). Other than that there are minor villains like Bellatrix, Wormtail, etc who are no more memorable than minor Marvel villains to me. I guess if you count Draco and/or Snape as villains, which they did play those roles for parts of the series, those would add to the roster for WW but there are enough pretty good Marvel villains to even it out. That said Kaecilius was not one of Marvels better villains, though he did have a nice monologue about death. I expect Mads will be far better in this since Grindelwald is a much meatier role.

MCU really wasted Mads.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, clockwork said:

Obviously take this with a grain of salt, but I came across this comment on a reddit thread the other day regarding this movie which I thought was interesting.

This matches up to what a couple of reviewers said...in that

Dumbledore sends a bunch of people on missions

3 hours ago, Rogerio said:

Does anyone have any information about Rio de Janeiro? Will we have scenes there?

This is directly from the wikipedia regarding this movie 

Several years after the events of The Crimes of Grindelwald, the story takes place partly in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and partly in Berlin, Germany and leads up to the Wizarding World's involvement in World War II.[4][5] With Grindelwald's power rapidly growing, Albus Dumbledore entrusts Newt Scamander and his friends on a mission that will lead to a clash with Grindelwald's army, and will lead Dumbledore to ponder how long he will stay on the sidelines in the approaching war.[6]

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Those articles are from 2019 and before. There's also nothing mentioned that it will include the wizards being involved in WW2. 

The quote I provided from the wikipedia matches the synopsis that other people post in this thread a few days ago.

14 minutes ago, clockwork said:

The quote I provided from the wikipedia matches the synopsis that other people post in this thread a few days ago.

The synopsis posted on Wikipedia has nothing to do with the one released officially by WB when the title was released. Again...click on the sources. 

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

The synopsis posted on Wikipedia has nothing to do with the one released officially by WB when the title was released. Again...click on the sources. 

Okay you're right, looking at the official synopsis it doesn't exactly match up with the one that I got from Wikipedia. There are similar lines in both such as Dumbledore sending Newt and other people on a mission against Grindelwalds followers. The biggest difference is that the one on wikipedia gives out specific locations whereas the official one does not, not yet anyway. But many here have consistently theorized/predicted that part of this movie will take place in Rio De Janerio although it's not be officially confirmed as such yet. 

On 9/22/2021 at 4:42 PM, Dear Eric Hansen said:

I will forever beat the drum that Rowling should have just made a sweet, lighthearted romantic comedy between Jacob and Queenie because they were the only genuine thing in the first Beasts that truly worked 100%, and no I will not take any further questions.

Okay, here’s my 2 cents:

1) Top critics didn’t outright pan the film, and I think the harshness of the criticism for Crimes of Grindelwald is inconsistent with the leniency the original franchise was met with - if pacing and editing as it affects the plotting were the problem, why weren’t those criticisms made to the same extent against the original franchise?

On top of that, it’s widely acknowledged among top critics that the directing and design and world-building, thematics, etc, are more accomplished in Crimes of Grindelwald than in many of the Harry Potter films. 

Crimes of Grindelwald was not written off as a bad movie by professional critics, and the over-the-top hatred for the film generally comes from politicized hatred of Rowling and Depp that was whipped up before CoG was released by the likes of The Mary Sue, Scott Weintraub, and other small-time critics, who ended up negatively impacting the RT aggregate score, which depressed the box office from what it could have been, and shaped people’s opinions of the film. 

2) There’s a determined infantilization of this franchise by casual fans who think JK Rowling should write stories as “lighthearted” as you put it.

No matter how ridiculous an interpretation of the story and franchise they might have, it is a fact that a certain contingency of people, for egoistic reasons, refuse to credit this series with the maturity it has, and refuses to regard it with the seriousness it so often asks of it’s audience, and thus the plotting often flies right over their heads, leaving them confused and constantly feeling like they were sold on something different by the advertising. 

Like, how many times do we have to hear “this one is so dark!!!!” in each new review of a Rowling product. If you went into Fantastic Beasts taking the title literally and wanting Pokemon, I’m sorry, this franchise isn’t for you. 

As for box office, the negativism is even more strange: 

- “Fantastic Beasts” is a brand new, not well known brand name. Ergo, the people saying this franchise is a failure because it gets less than 1 B are being ridiculous. 650 million for the Fantastic Beasts brand, after an 815 million success + an Oscar win, is a lukewarm but decent performance for this franchise 

- The budget is high enough that they could adjust it downward if needed

- We saw the same depreciation trend with the original series

- Why are people pretending to think that Harry Potter is less successful than it is? The RIDICULOUS “WB is going to cancel the franchise takes” are just…what? Why would they cancel a 5 film deal for their most consistently successful IP? 

- With “Dumbledore” in the actual title this time, I think that will make all the difference. COVID-season adjustments of expectations aside, I don’t see this tanking or at least falling from 650 million, regardless of reviews and WOM. At worst, it’ll stagnate.

• Like 1