CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

4 hours ago, jeanus said:

If you went into Fantastic Beasts taking the title literally and wanting Pokemon, I’m sorry, this franchise isn’t for you. 

I mean, whatever title is chosen for a piece of content creates certain expectations from the audience about said content. If you decide to title a movie series Fantastic Beasts then any person would/could infer from said title that the movies would revolve around dragons, unicorns, various other mythological creatures.

If the title of something doesn't accurately reflect it's contents then it's pretty much false advertising.

I think that once the first trailer is put online, we will already be able to see more clearly on the handling at the box office for this film. I don't worry about him in Europe where the franchise remains very popular, especially in France and the UK. The US will have to insure the $150M to remain profitable. 

I hope we have a simpler film, while keeping the stakes, and I want action, magic, not a long and boring thing like both, even if the introduction of The Crimes of Grindelwald remains a great moment, see the best.

7 minutes ago, Jak Ryan Drake Campbell said:

I think that once the first trailer is put online, we will already be able to see more clearly on the handling at the box office for this film. I don't worry about him in Europe where the franchise remains very popular, especially in France and the UK. The US will have to insure the $150M to remain profitable. 

I hope we have a simpler film, while keeping the stakes, and I want action, magic, not a long and boring thing like both, even if the introduction of The Crimes of Grindelwald remains a great moment, see the best.

150m domestic? Maybe 90m domestic if lucky

9 hours ago, jeanus said:

As for box office, the negativism is even more strange: 

- “Fantastic Beasts” is a brand new, not well known brand name. Ergo, the people saying this franchise is a failure because it gets less than 1 B are being ridiculous. 650 million for the Fantastic Beasts brand, after an 815 million success + an Oscar win, is a lukewarm but decent performance for this franchise 

- The budget is high enough that they could adjust it downward if needed

- We saw the same depreciation trend with the original series

- Why are people pretending to think that Harry Potter is less successful than it is? The RIDICULOUS “WB is going to cancel the franchise takes” are just…what? Why would they cancel a 5 film deal for their most consistently successful IP? 

- With “Dumbledore” in the actual title this time, I think that will make all the difference. COVID-season adjustments of expectations aside, I don’t see this tanking or at least falling from 650 million, regardless of reviews and WOM. At worst, it’ll stagnate.

yes Dumbledore being in the title will cause it to do well, just how Hogwarts being in the previews of the second movie was going to have an increase over the first

11 hours ago, jeanus said:

- Why are people pretending to think that Harry Potter is less successful than it is? The RIDICULOUS “WB is going to cancel the franchise takes” are just…what? Why would they cancel a 5 film deal for their most consistently successful IP? 

What "deal"?  We don't know what's in the development/production deal that Rowling has with Warner Bros. for adapting the material.  Every contract leans in at the behest of the studio.  I.E. They may list "as many as 6-9 films" as "options" -- but there's no guarantee they'll make all of those, of course.  Though as I've said, I wouldn't be surprised if Rowling managed to get Warners to commit to making at least three, regardless.  I have no beef with the first movie, quite liked it, and it's success relatively was clear, I agree with you on all that.  But this is not the first and won't be the last time that "many sequels are planned" and might not end up happening.  My bet is still that unless this movie is a wild success exceeding expectations critically and commercially, it'll be the last one in this series (not that there won't be future Potter-world movies with other ideas...and indeed an "Old Harry" sequel I would still bet is something Warners very much wants).  

We likely wont see a trailer for this until late October or mid November. Although in retrospect I'm surprised they didn't just release the title when a trailer/teaser was ready, knock two birds out with one stone.

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

How can a marvel of 2000s turn into a big mess such as this one ?? They plan too big....

Warner Brothers. They've shown multiple times now that they have difficulty creating movies that are a part of a grander story, and get better results when they do more standalone things that are allowed to breathe and be their own thing like Shazam, Aquaman, The Suicide Squad (2021), Birds of Prey, etc.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Gazer365 said:

We likely wont see a trailer for this until late October or mid November. Although in retrospect I'm surprised they didn't just release the title when a trailer/teaser was ready, knock two birds out with one stone.

Warner Brothers. They've shown multiple times now that they have difficulty creating movies that are a part of a grander story, and get better results when they do more standalone things that are allowed to breathe and be their own thing like Shazam, Aquaman, The Suicide Squad (2021), Birds of Prey, etc.

This is more Rowling's fault than WB's. Rowling initially wanted to do a trilogy of FB films. Which was fine, but her issue is that she got excited and wanted to include Grindelwald/Dumbledore which should have been its own separate thing. 

This series is enormous. They could do something entirely new for HBO or even a movie series with completely new characters.

I forgot to use the spoiler tag before, OMG...

But now I´ll use it.. the guy on Reddit gave some information about the movie.. 

Spoiler

THE QUESTIONS..

Could you tell us some information spoiler-free?

1. is the movie better than FB1?

2. Does it have a lot of action/adventure?

3. What about the plot?

4. the version you saw had Brazil?

THE ANSWERS.. 

Mesne

·2 dias

Well:

1. I thought it was the best one of the series so far although a lot of that is because it built on the threads left by the second one (which I wasn’t fussed by)

2. yep there’s quite a lot of adventure all the way through it. Pacing was reasonably good with a clear set piece/action sequence followed by a bit of exposition.

3. plot follows on from the second one in a number of ways. It shows how queenie is now she’s defected. It also goes more into the obscura/credence story of the last one (which I had actually forgotten about when watching). But not by a lot. Just for the emotional connection to dumbledor.

The general plot setting is the magical version of the rise of the nazis in 1930s Germany. It’s actually more political than you’d expect and revolves around the election/choosing process of the chancellor of magic (which involves a fantastic beast and a plot by grindelwald to manipulate said process). Dumbledor tries to prevent this but is unable to act directly having previously made an unbreakable vow hence him setting up the heist like plan to indirectly address it.

Action bits that were good included Jacob preventing a woman being abused outside his shop, the official dinner scene, the opening poaching scene, all bits involving the creature in the underground prison which dislikes light (this’ll scare the kids!), the final heist/action scenes leading to the finale bits in a mountain temple (maybe Tibet but can’t remember) which was the setting for the election win.

I think overall it’s orientated towards people who grew up with potter rather than kids today. Hence the political nature of deciding the new chancellor of magic rather than saying ruling the world which kids would get easier.

4) not sure what you mean by Brazil? I don’t remember any scenes in Brazil. If you meant where I saw it. It was London. I suspect the version I saw won’t change much apart from finishing off special effects. There weren’t any bits that seemed unduly there or that should be cut for pacing for me.

MORE QUESTIONS..

·2 dias

I'm glad to hear that!! When I read other reactions, it seemed so boring, but after reading that, it seems a good movie .. it's great you liked it more than the first one!!

I know you can't say much, but I already about that information involving Credance's identity, and I really hated that.. do you think there is a chance it was edited on the test screening in order to prevent leaks? I was hoping it would be different in the final cut

About Brazil, it seems Rio de Janeiro won't be in the movie really

THE ANSWERS:

Mesne

·2 dias

Nope I don’t think so. As it’s used in the final conclusions a lot (not just as a reveal but to resolve the main story arc).

I personally didn’t mind it. Although it might be because I thought it had been revealed in the second one already!

6 hours ago, Noctis said:

Trailer will most likely be released before Dune. 

Idk, part of me thinks they shouldn't release a trailer this early. The trailer for the new Matrix movie came out just a few weeks ago and that movie is being released in December.

With theatrical windows being shorted I feel like trailer windows need to be shortened as well. Instead of putting out a trailer 6 months in advance I think 4 months is better, it'll keep the movie fresh in peoples minds, at least that's what I think.

Breaking news from Deadline and no Rio de Janeiro apparently.. 

At its CineEurope presentation in Barcelona, Warner Bros rocked out with a brief first-look at Baz Luhrmann’s Elvis and screened some behind-the-scenes footage from Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets Of Dumbledore, providing a bit of fresh insight into both projects

The David Yates-directed Fantastic Beasts threequel is due in April next year — and the BTS scenes shown in Spain included a quick glimpse of Mads Mikkelsen as Gellert Grindelwald. The story picks up in the 1930s, a little after the events of the previous film and will take place in such far-flung locales as Bhutan, Germany, the U.S., the UK and China. Evoked were new creatures, old favorites, more magic and even a peek back into Hogwarts.