CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

17 hours ago, Rogerio said:

I'm not mad at viewer anon because I wanted to read those leaks..

But I'm sure he tought he would make much more noise.. I mean, I'm starting to think Rowling will not even know about that

Not a diss at VA personally, but not the first person in film Twitter culture to overestimate their power. 

That and outside of Potter stans, who really cares about FB3? It’s not like an upcoming superhero movie or something highly anticipated online. 

6 hours ago, RRA said:

Not a diss at VA personally, but not the first person in film Twitter culture to overestimate their power. 

That and outside of Potter stans, who really cares about FB3? It’s not like an upcoming superhero movie or something highly anticipated online. 

Potter is still pretty beloved overseas and plenty of people will still go see/buy anything in that world to get their fix. Also online anticipation/discourse ≠ real life anticipation/discourse, we on the internet tend to both overestimate and underestimate how well something is received by the general public so its anyone's guess really.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RRA said:

The last movie made amost 500m OS alone (with only 57m coming from China), and that's with a pretty bad reception.  So clearly plenty of people care about this franchise. And in a world where China apparently banned Marvel movies there is a good chace FB3 ends up adead many of them worldwide.😂

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 9:29 PM, Ozymandias said:

What Noctis is currently experiencing with these Potter prequels is similar to what us Tolkien enthusiasts experienced when Jackson and co. turned the Hobbit into an indulgent 9 hour slog with sporadically good moments.  When Lord of the Rings comes roaring back next September, we'll welcome him and the rest of the Potter refugees with open arms.

I agree about Jackson's  the Hobbit, but not optimisitc about the upcoming TV series. Very skeptical about leaving Tolkien wrirings behind except for the setting.Wold have much rather seen a  Looks like just another run of the mill fantasy epic from what I have seen . Just being set in Middle Earth does no tmake it Tolkien.

4 hours ago, James said:

The last movie made amost 500m OS alone (with only 57m coming from China), and that's with a pretty bad reception.  So clearly plenty of people care about this franchise. And in a world where China apparently banned Marvel movies there is a good chace FB3 ends up adead many of them worldwide.😂

Considering its cost -- by all accounts, close to $200 million, more than they spent on the first one -- so they spent more, and made over $150 million less at the box office -- the movie barely broke even.  If it had done any less than it did, Warners may not have even made the third one.  I remain cynical on the prospects of Film #3.  

Edited by Macleod

6 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Considering its cost -- by all accounts, close to $200 million, more than they spent on the first one -- so they spent more, and made over $150 million less at the box office -- the movie barely broke even.  If it had done any less than it did, Warners may not have even made the third one.  I remain cynical on the prospects of Film #3.  

Following this logic Warner would not have done none of the Monsterverse movies, since all of them have lower WW totals than CoG. With a large portion coming from China also.

19 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Compte tenu de son coût – selon tous les comptes, près de 200 millions de dollars, plus que ce qu'ils ont dépensé pour le premier – ils ont donc dépensé plus et ont fait plus de 150 millions de dollars de moins au box-office – le film a à peine atteint le seuil de rentabilité. S'il avait fait moins qu'il ne l'a fait, Warners n'aurait peut-être même pas fait le troisième. Je reste cynique sur les perspectives du Film #3.  

The budget should be a little smaller for that one.
Cruella is a real box office flop and will have a sequel, Godzilla & Kong have relative scores and will have a sequel, as plenty of examples.

I think the film will get an honorable score here, but the fourth will happen no matter what, the Harry Potter universe and beyond the films, are a real success. Warner will always have money on this just name.

12 minutes ago, Felipe said:

Following this logic Warner would not have done none of the Monsterverse movies, since all of them have lower WW totals than CoG. With a large portion coming from China also.

Are you talking about the Godzilla/Kong universe?  Those two characters are legacy I.P.s, they have been around 70 and 90 years, respectively -- studios will always be willing to roll the dice on them.  Fantastic Beasts...is a non-proven commodity, other than its Potter-ties.  (This is how I would see it from Warner execs point-of-view.)

3 minutes ago, Jak Ryan Drake Campbell said:

The budget should be a little smaller for that one.
Cruella is a real box office flop and will have a sequel, Godzilla & Kong have relative scores and will have a sequel, as plenty of examples.

I think the film will get an honorable score here, but the fourth will happen no matter what, the Harry Potter universe and beyond the films, are a real success. Warner will always have money on this just name.

Cruella is a pandemic-era release -- the same metrics don't really apply -- and of course a Disney legacy I.P. is a whole different, less risky proposition for them -- Disney has announced that they will commit $33 BILLION to content-making next year(!).

Do I make sense in French?  😉

5 hours ago, James said:

Look this, a pretty good analysis.

FB2 was not killed by audience, not at all. 

The legs were pretty good.

1 minute ago, Macleod said:

Cruella is a pandemic-era release -- the same metrics don't really apply -- and of course a Disney legacy I.P. is a whole different, less risky proposition for them -- Disney has announced that they will commit $33 BILLION to content-making next year(!).

Do I make sense in French?  😉

This is to tell you that if a third opus despite the pandemic has been set in motion and finalized, it is because Warner believes in it, or at least knows, that it will not lose money.
And why be derogatory? I am French yes, but not an idiot.

21 minutes ago, Jak Ryan Drake Campbell said:

This is to tell you that if a third opus despite the pandemic has been set in motion and finalized, it is because Warner believes in it, or at least knows, that it will not lose money.
And why be derogatory? I am French yes, but not an idiot.

No offense meant!  Sorry for the misunderstanding!  I was asking sincerely, since I saw my message quote translated to French!  

I believe that Warners' greenlighted Film #3 because they are deep enough in the hole at this point to go one more round, but I think it will need soaring success for them to even consider a 4th film...plus all the bad P.R. surrounding the franchise for numerous reasons.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Aucune infraction signifiait! Désolé pour le malentendu! Je demandais sincèrement, puisque j'ai vu ma citation de message traduite en français !  

Je crois que Warners a donné le feu vert au film n°3 parce qu'ils sont assez profonds dans le trou à ce stade pour faire un tour de plus, mais je pense qu'il leur faudra un succès retentissant pour qu'ils envisagent même un 4e film... plus toutes les mauvaises relations publiques entourant la franchise pour de nombreuses raisons.  

Oh okay, that happens sometimes aha.

Yes we will see, the first images of the film should already give us some indications.

8 hours ago, Macleod said:

I believe that Warners' greenlighted Film #3 because they are deep enough in the hole at this point to go one more round, but I think it will need soaring success for them to even consider a 4th film...plus all the bad P.R. surrounding the franchise for numerous reasons.  

I actually somewhat disagree with your opinion that this needs to be a soaring success; in the past year I think WB has shown willingness to adjust their expectations and adapt to the times, as demonstrated with the bold movie to put their whole 2021 slate in both theaters and HBO simultaneously instead of sticking with purely theatrical releases for this year.

I think they're aware of the precarious situation this franchise is currently in and don't expect this to be a huge success and I personally believe/predict that this will pull decent numbers. A fourth film isn't entirely out of the question and they have HBO Max now, so if all else fails they could make  the fourth one and just have it be an exclusive on there. With Netflix willing to shell out 200 mil for Red Notice it certainly wouldn't be all that strange for have an 100+ mil movie made exclusively for streaming/HBO max specifically.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, clockwork said:

I actually somewhat disagree with your opinion that this needs to be a soaring success; in the past year I think WB has shown willingness to adjust their expectations and adapt to the times, as demonstrated with the bold movie to put their whole 2021 slate in both theaters and HBO simultaneously instead of sticking with purely theatrical releases for this year.

I think they're aware of the precarious situation this franchise is currently in and don't expect this to be a huge success and I personally believe/predict that this will pull decent numbers. A fourth film isn't entirely out of the question and they have HBO Max now, so if all else fails they could make  the fourth one and just have it be an exclusive on there. With Netflix willing to shell out 200 mil for Red Notice it certainly wouldn't be all that strange for have an 100+ mil movie made exclusively for streaming.

will Rowling let the film go exclusively on streaming tho?

13 hours ago, jason1230 said:

will Rowling let the film go exclusively on streaming tho?

I doubt she controls that particular decision, at this point, if she ever had a say at all (and obviously this kind of decision was never even a reality in the Harry Potter-film-series days).  And it's clear that Warners had to re-negotiate with all of its top talent in the HBOMax-decision era.  Warners would probably just pay her off, as they did otherwise.  

Edited by Macleod

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW2BFO5lEQ6/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

FB3 score's done ! 

After eight months and thirty-eight three hour sessions (including some with the marvelous London Voices Choir here), work on Fantastic Beasts 3 is finished !

Edited by Jak Ryan Drake Campbell
  • Like 2