CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Does anyone have any idea what the Japanese promotion will entail? It's supposed to be tomorrow.

The google translate I did with that Japanese event/promotion gave me this

"We invite [10 groups of 20 people] to a special event to be held at a certain place in Tokyo in the evening on 12/1 (Wednesday) "

It seems like there was some kind of contest and a bunch of people were chosen to go to this event that will be happening Wednesday evening (Tokyo time). It's definitely some kind of promotional event but I've not read anything about such an event taking place in the US yet.

It's very likely they're showcasing a trailer at this event, although just because the people are this event may see a trailer doesn't mean we'll see one here in the states that same day/date either we'll get something on the December 1st or the middle of December.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

It's 3:25pm in Japan now...we should be getting at least some info in 6 hours. I can't imagine holding something for 200+ people and not showing actual footage.

I do find it weird how they decided to have this little mini event in Tokyo instead of having it in the UK or US, from what I understand the movie doesn't even take place in Japan at all so not sure why there's a fan event over there of all places. I'd say there's about a 50/50 chance the/a trailer is released, I wont be all to surprised if this is just a very exclusive fan event for just that small group of people to see some footage from the movie and nothing else. 

1 hour ago, Gazer365 said:

I do find it weird how they decided to have this little mini event in Tokyo instead of having it in the UK or US, from what I understand the movie doesn't even take place in Japan at all so not sure why there's a fan event over there of all places. I'd say there's about a 50/50 chance the/a trailer is released, I wont be all to surprised if this is just a very exclusive fan event for just that small group of people to see some footage from the movie and nothing else

Me too. 

I think people forget how well Crimes of Grindelwald actually held in many countries compared to the first overseas. 

FB1: $580m 

CoG: $495m (hate how it dipped below $500m by so little) 

An $85m drop, where a $50m decrease alone came from the UK and China. 

It actually increased in Germany, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Switzerland, and France. It dropped hugely in the UK, though.

Japan was very close (a strong hold for a sequel). 

CoG dropped $125m+ from the US, UK, and China alone. Surprisingly held much better in European countries where there were even a few increases.

SoD, if it hits $300m OS in this market, guarantees a fourth film. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gazer365 said:

I do find it weird how they decided to have this little mini event in Tokyo instead of having it in the UK or US, from what I understand the movie doesn't even take place in Japan at all so not sure why there's a fan event over there of all places. 

I'm not surprised the event was held in Japan. The film franchise as a whole has earned more money in Japan than any other OS market. 

14 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Ugh

Not surprising, it's still just a bit too early to release a trailer. I'm willing to bet the first trailer will release in the next few weeks either on December 15th (exactly 4 months from films release) or just a few days before Matrix Resurrection's comes out so they can start playing the trailer in the theaters in front of other movies.

I had an hour to kill today at work so I loaded the FB website and looked at the coding on the site (right click and hit “inspect to see this). I see they have tons entered for the trailer but it is hidden. There a “trailer” and a “detailed trailer”. As well as a portion of code basically ready to direct to a YouTube upload. There’s coding for 4 photos to be unhidden and some other stuff about future links to shop, book tickets, and so on. If I am not mistaken the Japan event said tickets will go on sale December 17 or something. So maybe that will be the day because they will have to activate the buy button and ticket finders for locations and theatres. Just my thoughts on my extremely boring detective work.

Looks like it's coming soon enough.

1 hour ago, WeThrones said:

I agree. I guess we will get something until the end of the year for sure, but it is ridiculous. Are they that confident in this movie? 

Uhh...no, this kind of nebulous cloud prior to a release (and pushed-up to an odd date for inexplicable reasons) usually translates to a lack of confidence/sureness/clarity about what they have...

Edited by Macleod

25 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Uhh...no, this kind of nebulous cloud prior to a release (and pushed-up to an odd date for inexplicable reasons) usually translates to a lack of confidence/sureness/clarity about what they have...

I think Warners knows this will probably be the last film in this franchise. I think they are hoping for decent profit from it, and then quit why they are ahead. Fact is, the Beasts franchsie has never come close to the level of sucess the Potter film had. Major reason is it's not nearly as good as the Potter franchsie was. Charecters, even the ones taken from the Potter franchsie, have never been as interesting as in the originals.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Given how the other films have been received.......

They made money, sure but anywhere near what the Potter films made. I think, unless this is a really massive hit and far outgrosses the previous two films..which I think unlikely...this will be the last film in this franchise.

A lot of people have pretty much lost interest in this franchise for the simple reason it is nowhere as good as the Potter franchise was.

The first one made more than Azkasban, so it's somewhere near. This will not be the last one, barring a disaster performance overseas. Just look at the MonsterVerse movies grosses, all of them are below Crimes of Grindelwald, and they keep doing them.

58 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I've been saying for a while that WB knows the state in which this series is in which is why they've been playing things close to their chest, hell I would do the same thing. I'd rather they at least try and play it safe instead of being overconfident; try and patch things up as much as possible before showing stuff off.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Felipe said:

The first one made more than Azkasban, so it's somewhere near. This will not be the last one, barring a disaster performance overseas. Just look at the MonsterVerse movies grosses, all of them are below Crimes of Grindelwald, and they keep doing them.

Let's see the adjusted for inflation figures for Azkasban before saying the first beast film sold more tickets.

You can Whistle past the graveyard all you want, but the Beasts has been a big dissapointment to a lot of people..including Warners who were expecting a lo tmore money.

And, frankly, the Beasts film cost a lot more to make then the Monsterverse movies which makes a big difference in continuing the series or not. 

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Let's see the adjusted for inflation figures for Azkasban before saying the first beast film sold more tickets.

You can Whistle past the graveyard all you want, but the Beasts has been a big dissapointment to a lot of people..including Warners who were expecting a lo tmore money.

And, frankly, the Beasts film cost a lot more to make then the Monsterverse movies which makes a big difference in continuing the series or not. 

I didn't say it sold more tickets, you said it was "nowhere near", FB1 is not that far.

The Monsterverse movies have almost the same budget, with large portions of the WW grosses coming from China, it's safe to say that COG made more money.

Spoiler

655M Crimes of Grindelwald (200M Budget)
DOM: 160M
OS-CH: 438M
CH: 57M

566M Kong: Skull Island (185M Budget)
DOM: 168M
OS-CH: 230M
CH: 168M

524M Godzilla (160M Budget)
DOM: 200M
OS-CH: 247M
CH: 78M

387M Godzilla: King of the Monsters (170M Budget)
DOM: 110M
OS-CH: 141M
CH: 135M

COG had good legs in several markets, it made the same or more than FB1 in almost every european market minus UK. A prequel to Harry Potter would never make the same amount of money, that's a unrealistic goal. As long as they are profitable they will make the five planned movies.

• Like 1