CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

31 minutes ago, dudalb said:

That Rowling is not a good screenwriter probably had a lot to do with that. The spinoff might have been the ex Warner's ceo's idea, but no one held a gun to Rowling head to make her sign on.

You have a valid point, but regardless Tsujihara should have known better, he seemed to think a little to highly of her in my opinion. To not even assign a co-writer to work with a first-time screenwriter Rowling on these movies from the jump is baffling to me. I wish good luck to the new CEO Ann Sarnoff, between this and the DCEU she will certainly have some work to do. 

Edited by clockwork

15 minutes ago, clockwork said:

You have a valid point, but regardless Tsujihara should have known better, he seemed to think a little to highly of her in my opinion. To not even assign a co-writer to work with a first-time screenwriter Rowling on these movies from the jump is baffling to me. I wish good luck to the new CEO Ann Sarnoff, between this and the DCEU she will certainly have some work to do. 

I actually think the DCEU has turned the corner; Aquaman was a huge hit, Shazam though not a blockbuster will end up makeinga good profit for Warners ; that Zack Snyder has been reduced to a "courtesy" producers credit and no longer has much influence as far ad the DCU goes has a lot to do with that; buy yeah, she has a lot of work do to on the Wizarding World.

And she has another underperforming franchise in the Monsterverse with Godzilla KOTM making, at best, at minor profit on a big investment. Fate of that franchise is really in question beyond Godzilla versus Kong.

But one of Ken's worst decisions was to turn the DCU..possibly Warner's most valuable franhcise, over to Zack Snyder. In the end he was simply the wrong choice.

Someone pointed out that FB was still on the top ten of 2018. Maybe, in business terms that alone  does not mean a hell of a lot. It's not that unusual for a flm to make the top ten and still just break even or lose money .

• Like 2

Sarnoff is an interesting choice though. She does not have much background in film, but she had a lot of success in Television and has tried a few other areas;she was head of the WNBA for a few years ( well,she common ground with Space Jam's 3 Lebron James).

But she is definently from the business side;she has a Harvard Business School MBA, the ultimate mark of respectability for a CEO or manager.

JK Rowling, who used to be insanely prevalent on Twitter, hasn't been posted anything since March. I truly feel like that aside from the fact that she's reworking hard on the script, I believe the criticism and jokes made about her last year has really got to her. I'm not saying she's depressed or anything, but I do believe that social media has taken its toll on her. 

It's weird how we haven't heard anything about it. 

Also...it shows how Leta's death was a last minute decision. If it were planned long in advance, they could have at least made her duel Grindelwald and be the one to take the blood vial from him before he killed her. The film has so many great themes that are inundated by such a lack of clear focus. 

They are REALLY going to have to make Queenie's arc very strong and believable in this. Anyway...surprised that there is no news whatsoever about this. 

25 minutes ago, Noctis said:

JK Rowling, who used to be insanely prevalent on Twitter, hasn't been posted anything since March. I truly feel like that aside from the fact that she's reworking hard on the script, I believe the criticism and jokes made about her last year has really got to her. I'm not saying she's depressed or anything, but I do believe that social media has taken its toll on her. 

It's weird how we haven't heard anything about it. 

Also...it shows how Leta's death was a last minute decision. If it were planned long in advance, they could have at least made her duel Grindelwald and be the one to take the blood vial from him before he killed her. The film has so many great themes that are inundated by such a lack of clear focus. 

They are REALLY going to have to make Queenie's arc very strong and believable in this. Anyway...surprised that there is no news whatsoever about this. 

Everything's going to be hanging on the next one, though I'm not sure what news we could get before they start shooting which is still several months away.

The movie will jump I think at least 5 years in the future (I really don't know how that works out for Queenie/Jacob) since it's confirmed it will be set in the 1930s. But how many more time jumps are gonna happen? The fifth film is supposed to take place in 1945. 

I don't really see a need for this film to ever happen.  But it probably will...and it will probably be the last.

The quietness behind the scenes is quite telling, indeed.  Are they possibly pondering just scrapping it? 

I really liked the first one.  🤷‍♀️

• Knock It Off 1

10 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I don't really see a need for this film to ever happen.  But it probably will...and it will probably be the last.

The quietness behind the scenes is quite telling, indeed.  Are they possibly pondering just scrapping it? 

I really liked the first one.  🤷‍♀️

They definitely won't scrap it. For one, it's the 3rd film in a 5-part series. Secondly, the 2nd movie made over $650m worldwide. Lastly, it's still Harry Potter and a way to continue filling out the brand. 

• Like 1

They'll need to play it safer with this one than they did for the previous two, specifically with the budget; keep it between 145-170 mil. Despite what some might believe I highly doubt this one will be a flop, but the pressure will be the marketing team to conjure up smart plays to garner interests. The pressure will also be on the new CEO at Warner Brothers, as this third movie will be is gonna be under her purview now in addition to the continuing/evolving DCEU. They're gonna have to start working smarter not harder. 

I think they're gonna/should push the release of this movie up a few weeks towards the end of October, to get out ahead of Thor Love and Thunder. At the moment it seems there are no big movies coming out in the last two weeks of October 2021, they should place this in the second to last week and let it make some money before Thor comes along to dominate(if it does). 

http://movieinsider.com/movies/2021 

Edited by Gazer365

The second movie should have been just a new adventure for Newt and his friends, plain and simple. Sharing the focus between the main characters and the Grindelwald/Dumbledore and Credence/Nagini stuff was a huge mistake.

Newt is divisive between fans, but changing that is what the second movie should have aimed to do. It should have been about continuing to establish Newt Scamander as a main character we all love and root for.

Maybe JK Rowling got carried away by the die hard fans she interacts with on Twitter, but general audiences have no time for the Wizarding World obscure mythology.

What's worse is that the end of Crimes of Grindelwald basically forces this third movie to continue following those characters audiences don't care about.

WHat really needs to  happen if for Warners to get honest with Rowling and tell her she is not a good screenwriter; she can write the basic story but the actual script writing will be given to more experienced screenwriters.

This Franchise is damaged goods at the moment.

Yeah, the last one did fairly well at the box office, but a long,long way from what a film in the Potter universe should have doen.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Newt is divisive between fans, but changing that is what the second movie should have aimed to do. It should have been about continuing to establish Newt Scamander as a main character we all love and root for.

I wouldn't say he's divisive, more like underdeveloped. We've not really yet gotten a chance to really dig into who he is, we've not seen him broken down or struggle with anything really these past two movies. I like the aspect of having a male character who isn't primarily defined by how tough, funny or smart he is but that he's empathetic and cares for misunderstood animals/people; oftentimes when few others do. 

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

What's worse is that the end of Crimes of Grindelwald basically forces this third movie to continue following those characters audiences don't care about.

It seems changes are gonna be made for sure regarding this third movie, how drastic or radical remains to be seen. Hopefully they aim for more coherence and cohesion, make sure there is a solid flow in the story and maybe add a bit of levity with some self-awareness, audiences seem to appreciate that these days. 

Edited by clockwork

Someone summed it up best talking about the 'Crimes' - the film has no second act. It's two hours of a first act that jumps straight to the third before the credits suddenly roll out of nowhere. 

There'll be another but for god sake get a decent script first. If that means not allowing Rowling to do it then so be it. 

• Like 1